The Fantastic Amazing Journey Of Dino *03932* | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Fantastic Amazing Journey Of Dino *03932*

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Dec 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #27 4CamGT, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Francis,

I'd love to see some images of *03934*! Here's a shot of its older brother,*03932*!

Freeman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Freeman, what great history and such a lovely color!

4. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Its posts like these that remind me of John Corbani. When he was alive I regularly saw his Dino around town and even at Home Depot with 8ft. 2x4s sticking out the passenger window, or with cinder blocks on the passenger seat. It was his only car and he used it daily even when he should have used a truck. Big stuff, he would borrow his wife's car :)

It was a regular sight around town and parked anywhere/everywhere. I do the same with my Dino and now my 360 but I do own a pickup truck for Home Depot duty. You are right, these Dino's are just cars and can be used as a car.

5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    WOW what an amazing story Freeman. I love that other members of this site own cars that are so closely related to your car. This is the kind of Ferrari enthusiasm that has kept these cars alive and well. I find this very "romantic" in a car kind of way.

6. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #31 GIOTTO, Jul 7, 2012
    Here is #03934. For details, see my post #17.

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Francis,

Very, Very Nice!! Could you do me a favor? I am installing the original Klippan seatbelts and putting together the original Dinoplex ignition system. Would it be possible to photograph details of your seat belts and the mounting brackets as installed in your Dino and detail shots of your Dinoplex/Marelli coils/mounting plate assembly?

Freeman

8. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #33 GIOTTO, Jul 8, 2012
    A photo of the Magneti/Marelli AEC 104 BW in my car. I will post some photos of the seat belts soon.

9. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #34 GIOTTO, Jul 8, 2012
  10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #35 4CamGT, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
    Francis,

Thank you for posting the images. Your original colour Azzurro Metallizzato is fantastic! I find it interesting that *03934*, being of French specification has completely different ignition components than mine, *03932*, Italian specification. I'm in the process of restoring the ignition system back to original (photos soon). The original mounting plate has the studs for the Dinoplex AEC 103 and the BAE 200A/BRZ 201A coils. Could you take some photos of the outboard seat belt mounts? I'm researching what are the correct belts for mine. Were they as yours or the Klippan 517RP? Any images from other Dino's near *03932* would be appreciated!!

I find it fascinating that the "Three Amigos" are completely different specification with different components! Must have been challenging to build these correctly without mistakes! Shawn Spears *03930* is U.S. specification, mine *03932* is Italian specification and yours *03934* is French! Would be cool if Shawn could share some detail shots of *03930*.

Freeman

P.S. Francis, would be of interest to compare your tool kit and manuals if they're still with your Dino. Through much research and negotiation, the original (no tools) tool bag has been reunited with mine. I've had to find and collect everything else.

11. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #36 GIOTTO, Jul 8, 2012
    Here is another photo with the seat belt mount.
    Unfortunatelly, the tool kit was missing when I bought my car. I have the car jack with his pouch and the wheel shock. And the manuals that I bought some years later are the wrong ones. On the left I have the owners manual for the E series. On the right I have the spare parts catalog for the L series. The manuals for the M series are the blue ones (see Dino Compendium).

12. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #37 GIOTTO, Jul 8, 2012
  13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Francis,

Any shots of the jack bag and jack? I just found the correct jack bag that matches my tool bag. I'll post photos soon.

Freeman

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Freeman,

I would be mor etha happy to. What pics do we want to see and I will see what I can do.

Shawn SPEER ;)

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Shawn,

Sorry about the misprint! Correction noted! Overall shots would be great. Details such as Dinoplex ignition assembly panel, seatbelts and their mountings, books and tools specific to your car (especially if delivered with it). That'll be a good start to not overwhelm!

Freeman

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #41 4CamGT, Jul 8, 2012
    Here's some shots of 03932's freshly bead blasted ignition mounting plate with the AEC103A Dinoplex, BAE200A and BZR201A Coils that I've found. I will be sending a Dinoplex to Adrian to put his magic parts in. Next step is welding up the holes from the aftermarket ignition parts and painting it. We also found that the original connectors are available. Any good photos of the similar set up would be appreciated! We're also reconverting the distributor back to points so the "Emergenza" coil will be functional! The Jack bag I've just found matches the original tool bag. Still missing the correct spark plug wrench and pliers. I'm on a budget so they'll have to wait. I prefer patinaed original vs restored wherever possible. I found a complete set of Klippan 517RP non-retracting seat belts. I'd really appreciate seeing other European spec Dinos around or after my chassis # to see what seat belts were installed and how they were installed. In Matthias's book he shows the 517RP and the version from Francis. Don't know if this is country specific or not.

Thanks for still listening!
    Freeman

17. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #42 alhbln, Jul 11, 2012
    Freeman,

the setup looks good and is original, except the coil clamp screws where the nuts/washers should be visible from the top, and there were standard nuts used to mount the AEC103 (the one in your picture look like Nylocs). The mounting plate was painted in matte satin black.
    Below is a picture from my archive of an original factory setup.

Adrian

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Fabulous Adrian!

Freeman

19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

I thought I’d give a little update on *03932*! Here’s my wife (She’s also Italian!) with our Dino. I decided to reinstall the stock DCNF’s to compare them with the Stratos IDF’s. I have to say they performed really well! It was a completely reversible procedure. I have to say, I love the stock spec with the stock air box! We drove it a lot the last couple of days. It was a blast driving our backroads! I’ve been doing a lot of little jobs. This is by no means a concours restoration Dino. It’s basically as I bought it but accomplishing lots of “to do” lists to make it a better and better, safer driver and more correct. Lots of used and NOS parts collected. It does everything I could have hoped for in a Dino experience. I’ve been playing with the wipers even though I never plan on driving in the rain! At this point I only have the driver’s side hooked up. The passenger one just keeps colliding with the driver’s side! It’s also slow and weak. Has anyone installed the DinoParts retrofit system?

My goal is to continue making it better without restoring it (It runs and drives way too nice!). Corbani has been a great influence on my Dino experience!

cls, 375+ and synchro like this.
  20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Great update!

My understanding is that you can adjust the wiper in two locations; catch position and the synch position.

Catch position is the exterior, top black nut attaching the wiper arm to the tapered, knurled spindle. Unscrew it and rotate the wiper to the desired position. This should be enough to align the passenger's wiper to the driver's.

The synchronized position is the phase between the two spindles and adjusted on the interior. Find the passenger's spindle, follow it down underneath the bodywork to the flex-rod and follow that to the driver's side. Unscrew the large nut and set the phase of the passenger's spindle then secure

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Scott, thanks! Could you describe the synchronized position a bit more? Photos?

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The Driver's side is powered and connected to the passenger's side with a cable and flex line. Disconnect it at either end and before the reversing cam should give you a wider range of adjustment.

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I’ve got it working without touching but how do you adjust it?

24. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It is a square drive, remove, rotate, reinstall.

BTW, I searched for photos when I had mine out and see the passenger's side has an articulation not a reversing cam, so actually this is just a rotating adjustment, same as the top spindle.