250 TDF vs 250 SWB | FerrariChat

250 TDF vs 250 SWB

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTBSaran, Jul 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Ever since aquiring a 275GTB/4 I have caught the Ferrari bug. I have been thinking about selling 1-2 oldtimers I have and buying something from the 250 series Ferrari which is legendary in terms of putting Ferrari road cars on the map. I rule out the 250 GT PF coupe /convertible as I do like the style. I also rule out a 250 Cal SWB, LWB spyder as they just do not do it for me and frankly are also beyond my budget. This leaves two models which I find great, the 250 SWB, or the 250 TDF (one or three louvers). I slightly am more in favor the TDF, it has a richer and more important history. Also all were made in Alloy whereas the 250 SWB Alloy version is also beyond my budget. That leaves the steel SWB.

So what would you chose? What is better car to drive? Is it fair comparing the two as the SWB was made a few years later? Looking forward to hear your thoughts. E

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I have driven an SWB recently and I strongly assume its the much better drive, no matter if steel or alloy!

3. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Thank you. I know, I hear many people say the SWB is heaven to drive. Have you also driven a TDF to compare? I would be curious on hearing opinions who have driven both cars.
    Thank you for your comments- Much appreciated.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Try to drive a pf coupe, heard it drives similarly to the tdf...
    Ed

5. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Agree with all the above. Have owned them both and the SWB is much better to drive. Of course if it's just going to be a garage queen...(I hope not; I'm a believer in driving 'em).

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    No, never drove a TdF - but I heared that it handles like a truck. But - a fast truck!..:)

7. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Well I would also say thats a damn expensive truck ;)

8. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Ok thank you. That might help me as I have access to one here in Zurich...

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    OK, I have to correct myself:

Its a fast and damn expensive truck!.:)

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Maybe someone should rebody it as a ferrari el camino ;)

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I have ALWAYS assumed the SWB is a better car because of development time, but the TDF is a MUCH cooler car!!

12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Both are cool, but the swb is the better looker......
    Ed

13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    When it comes to Ferraris, there's one rule: The older, the sexier

john

14. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    The SWB is a well balanced machine that you can have fun in the track and street. It's more advanced and most owners rave about the car's driving characteristics. I think you will be paying California LWB prices however for a really good SWB ot TDF. $3.5MM is a really good number to have ready just in case a good car comes along...

Geno

15. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Thats what I am thinking. I think the SWB is more well known but the TDF is for people who know and value history. I agree with your cool statement.

16. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Although I think the TDF is cooler I have to admit the SWB is a better looking car.
    I think all the 1950's early 1960's Ferrari's were for the most part great looking. I also love the TDF, its beauty that doesn't seem apparent right away (as with the SWB) but rather it becomes better looking with time I find...

17. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Better to drive for sure would be the SWB. Simply because it has a shorter wheelbase, telescopic instead of hydraulic lever shocks, disk brakes, wider tyres, improved and more powerful engine.

But the TdF is not to be underestimated! I drive one for more then 15 years and more then 40.000 km (6 times Mille Miglia, 3 times Le Mans Classic, Ferrari Historic Challenge and a lot of other events on the roads and tracks) and I never had the feeling of driving a truck. Seating position is excellent and it is very easy to drive and always predictable. It never gives you bad surprises. Ok you have to know that your drum brakes in combination with the narrow tyres do not give you the brake power of a more modern car. But so far it was always sufficient.

Years ago I used to have a 250 GT/L too but that was never as much fun as the TdF! In the TdF you always know you are sitting in an old car and you automatically adapt your driving style. For me the Lusso was already too modern without being as good as a modern car.

I can only subscribe to the words of Paul Bracq who once said that for him the most beautiful Ferrari is the TdF. "It is dynamic, sleek, beefy, sporty - like my old philosophy: not too hard and not too soft".

Let me know if you need more information the the TdFs.

Best regards

Matthias

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I have to admit that some TdF are damn good looking!

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Hmmm, the rear end of the SWB is veeeery sexy. Very hard to beat that look!

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    TdF is rarer with 77? being made and 161? SWB. As you say the TdF are all alloy but I notice that they are heavier at 1145kg, and the steel bodied SWB being 1100kg (960kg alloy). There is also the very rare and interesting LWB Interim with only 7 being made (6? remain). The Interim being similar to the SWB but with a three quarter side window and the LWB chassis of course. All very beautiful cars with the SWB the prettier but TdF more menacing looking.

250GT LWB Interim Berlinetta: http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...T-Interim.aspx

21. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I have a friend who hasn't driven a TdF neither - or any Ferrari if that matters - but he says they all handle like trucks!

Best wishes, Kare

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    They "all" handle like trucks????

He should drive a 275GTB.....!

23. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Your comments are very much appreciated Matthias-thank you. Your input is exactly what I as looking for in terms of feedback. Given I own a 275GTB/4 a TDF might be good alternative. Although I would change the brakes immediately I think- drum brakes I just cannot get used to. If you have any driving reports or articles a on TDF I would apprecaite seeing one or two. But nothing beats real life driving experiences which you kindly shared with us! best regards Edmond

24. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Thank you. I was reading about the Interim models in a Cavallino mag- there are indeed interesting creatures. I agree with your statement that all are beautiful with the SWB the prettier but TDF more menacing. Well I think both have their advantages (I am thinking of an analogy that is female related). Thank you!

25. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I can only second your comments Walter! He obviously has not had the pleasure of doing that yet!