New Car Search.....Economical? | FerrariChat

New Car Search.....Economical?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TexasF355F1, Jul 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Later this year, at the latest next year I plan on getting a new car. Reason being, the drive to work. While it's all highway, no traffic, the thought of going through RFT's even faster with the 80ish mile daily round-trip as well as gas have me looking for something slightly more economical.

#1 on the radar currently is the Ford Focus ST due out later this year. But I have no idea what the actual gas mileage will be.

I wanted to get some other ideas of quality cars that are fun to drive, but are also economical. I know there's more out there than I can really think of need some direction.

Ideally I'd like it to be a manual tranny, but I'm open to looking at anything.

2. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    #2 chp, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/17-Ford/148-Focus.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2010&power_s=240&power_e=260&powerunit=3
    http://www.fadainc.com/mpg_100l.html

=> about 22 mpg

Probably a little better in the US, as you have a speed limit. Maybe about 24 mpg to 25 mpg.

Here`s the fleet average power vs. mileage of all cars of this database:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/evaluation/power_vs_mpg.html

256 HP (260 PS) => about 18 mpg

Therefore I think 22 mpg is o.k.

If you want a better mileage, you`d probably need a less powered car or simply drive economically.

3. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Let me know how your research goes - I'm in the market for something that meets your same requirements. I've been in denial and was looking at vehicles that were more fun to drive, but impractical at the end of the day since it will be my DD and I have a healthy daily commute. Also want to retain as much "fun to drive" as possible while still being economical and practical on a daily basis. Ford Focus ST got my interest as well - even did the online configuration tool.

4. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Economical... are you referring to purchase price? Or fuel economy?

5. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #5 4re Nut, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    Dodge Dart? I've seen one in Rallye trim and looks sharp, especially in grey. MPG is 39 on HWY.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2013/dart/rallye/

There is a R/T model coming too but certainly not the speed factor of the Focus ST; maybe a SRT version will come out next year.

Fiat Abarth?

I would not recommend an '01 Audi TT. ;)

6. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Found this: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/12/2013-ford-focus-st-gets-23-mpg-city-32-mpg-highway-ratings/

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    For a great economy DD that is fun to drive, get a Porsche 991s. I get ~30mpg on the highway and 23mpg on my daily commute in my 2012 991s.

8. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    991 mileage is very impressive. Do you have a manual oder a double clutch?

9. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    What about a Chevy Volt?

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #10 JeremyJon, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    the audi a3 and that volvo c30 are pretty sharp looking, bound to be fairly economoical ....to bad we can't get a 'pole star' version, that's be a fun one! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hyundai is coming out with the Veloster Turbo later this summer. I have no clue how they drive, but it certainly looks cool.

I average around 28mpg on my 2011 Mazdaspeed 3. It would be better if I could stay out of boost...

12. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thank you for the info. Yea. I'd imagine the mileage may very a bit.

I realize I technically need a drop in power, but I'm fine with that within reason. Although I'm slowly allowing myself to accept that.:D

Absolutely. I'm right there with you, as I've hit the configurator up twice so far. I think the damn thing looks so freaking cool. And actually the regular Focus isn't have bad either.

Both kinda.

I'd like to have a small car payment (haven't had one in 2.5-3 yrs) as well as decent fuel economy. But I'm just in the beginnging stages of my search so I'm pretty far from deciding on what my actual basis will be....and it'll probably change by the time I pull the trigger.

Sorry Nut...I'll never own a Dodge. I think most of their cars are pretty hideous.:D:p

I like the Fiat, but it's way to small. I need to have room for things. I couldn't make a trip to Sam's Wholesale in it. And since I'm on the freeway, I see it as more of a in-town car.

Those are the figures I like to see, but also why I'd like to wait until some true real-world tests are done. If I can get a tick over 30 I'd be happy with that...although the premium fuel kinda sucks. Was hoping to get away from that, but it's not a end all be all.

I'd love to drive a Porsche (actually thinking it will be my next sports car) everyday, but it's definitely not in the budget right now. I took a pay cut with my new job, essentially I'm starting from the base again. But I'm going to re-fi and knock my mortgage down by half. So that'll free up a lot of extra cash. I avg around 25mpg with the 335 which is great, but at over 80K miles now I want to go ahead and get rid of it. I've finally made myself comfortable with that decision. It wasn't easy.

I plan on checking the A3 out, but I think it's pretty far out of budget and not as econimical as I'd like. The Volvo was on my mark too, but it's price and being a smaller 2 door don't make the cut. I'm going for 4-doors this go round.

I like the Veloster, but it's two doors, i know i didn't mention that. I've considered looking at the Mazda as well, but not sure yet.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it and it's a lot more helpful than you may realize. :)

13. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #13 4re Nut, Jul 17, 2012
    BUT it has "Alfa Romeo DNA"!!! :rolleyes: :D

How about the new Elantra GT: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2013/elantra-gt/ ?

My local dealer has one in stock and I liked it so much I took a couple pics to show my car nut son.

Like you, I like the Veloster but really need more doors/space if going to replace my current DD, a Jeep Liberty.

Looks a lot sportier in person than pics suggest IMHO...

14. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Used 4 door VW GTI? With a warranty of course. Blue with the Interlagos interior for me please.

I am in the same boat as you looking at nearly the exact same cars.

FYI, Veloster is a three door. Not sure if that adds it back into consideration or not.

15. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    335i: http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebersicht/6-BMW/37-3er.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2006&constyear_e=2012&power_s=304&power_e=306&powerunit=2

11.1 l/100 km => 21.2 mpg

Your 335 average is 25 mpg.

Focus data/ 335 data x your 335 average = 22.2/21.2 x 25 mpg = 26.2 mpg

Your Focus ST avg could be round about 26 mpg.

16. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I will second your own choice. Great cars. Other than that, a used Prius will get you the highest MPG, and despite what many say I hear from owners that they are quite fun to throw around.

17. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Cardigan GNX Junior....;)

Buick Verano turbo. 6 speed manual, 250 hp.

18. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Mine is a 2012 991S, 7 speed manual. I used a dual-clutch car as a DD for 2 1/2 years and tired of it after the first 3 months. Dual-clutch cars are great for race cars and dedicated track cars, but for a DD, nothing beats a three-pedal manual IMHO.

20. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    the GTI are pretty impressive cars IMO a 4 door with the turbo engine + PDK transmission would be a fun daily ...stay out of the gas pedal for economy ;)

like clarkson said, 'it's not what you drive, it's how" :)

21. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    Mini Cooper S

I average 40MPG on the highway, overall combine average is 33.6MPG. Fantastic car, spec one out with bare bones and you can get it for about $26K

22. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Have you considered a new 328i? It's not too much slower than the 335i and gets 33MPG on the highway. It's also very comfortable for commuting.

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I've just bought a Mazda 6 turbo diesel. Done 1500 km's so far and its averaging 7.7 litres/100 km's which according to http://www.eforecourt.com/l_100km_mpg_convert.htm is 30.5 US mpg. I've only been on the motorway a couple of times ... apparently capable of 40 mpg on the highway.

It has 400nm of torque and very quite and a happy little motor I reckon. Euro 5 emissions if that matters to you.
    Pete

24. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I like them, but they're just a little smaller than I want to go.

Not really.

I want to go in a new direction and try another manufacturer.

I was looking at it this morning. I'd have to check it out in person because in pictures I'm not really big on the overall look.

I was browsing earlier and I didn't know the A3 had a TDI option. So I'm going to take a closer look at it. And it has the rear space that I was really hoping for. The only downside is no manual, but I'm willing to sacrafice. Hopefully I'll have another sports car in a few years.:D

25. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #25 texasmr2, Jul 18, 2012
    Save yourself a diaper full of money and buy a sports car that will not only cost you less than $4-3K but will teach you how to drive while getting 25-30+mpg................