Brew Thru | FerrariChat

Brew Thru

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Valenzo, Jul 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Has anyone been to these, I was amazed by them on my last visit to the Carolina's, we have nothing like this back home. Is this just a Carolina business?

A very simple concept and with what I can tell, a very low overhead. A small brick and mortar business, a few coolers, 2 employees, a cash register and your customers just drive on thru.

There was a line of cars but it moved steadily all awhile I stayed comfy in my AC cooled car. Loved it. I want one. I've got an email in to them for franchise info. Very curious.

What's the down side?

2. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    What are they brewing?

3. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Think extra wide 1 bay car wash with convenience store coolers on each side. An employee asks you what you need, you tell them a twelve pack of Miller Highlife and 2 bottles of Chardonnay and they bring it to you in a box and a portable swipe machine. And away you go.

4. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Military bases have been doing this for decades now. It is pretty convenient, though.

5. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Military bases have been doing this for decades now. It is pretty convenient, though. Dos Equis and stay thirsty my friend.

6. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    So nice it needs to be said twice

7. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Got it. Had a place like that in Mt. Pleasant when I was in highschool. It was a perfect way for underage teens to get away with fake IDs. Most likely due to the speedy transactions taking place. It eventually shut down. Don't know why.

8. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I dont see how it would be any different than walk in style liquor stores when it comes to checking ID's

9. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Keep in mind. That was in the 80s. Much has changed. Officers don't drive you home so you can get a beating from your parents and learn a lesson. It's all by the book now.

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

We had something similar over the river in East St. Louis during high school. Dangerous, to say the least.

11. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Never seen a drive thru in my career, I must be getting stationed at the wrong military bases!

We had drive thru places like that in high school in the 70s in Ohio. Not that anyone every was drinking and driving back then!

12. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Heck...New Orleans had drive-thru daiquiri bars in the 1970s & '80s!

"Would you care for a po' boy sandwich with your beverage sir?"

KevFla

13. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I found it very convenient. We were on vacation, heading to our beach house and we wanted to fill the place with adult beverages and regular ones too. I don't care for your typical liquor store, so when we saw this place we thought wow, we don't even need to leave the car or haul our kids into a store.

We pulled up, told them all we wanted, popped our hatch and with a few minutes they loaded us up paid, and drove through. I thought it was great.

Now as far as kids and drinking and driving, I don't see how this makes that problem any easier than going into a store and walking back to your car. They didn't card me but I certainly don't look under 21.

14. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #14 4re Nut, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had? Still do. By not putting the straw into the drink they get around the open container law...of course you can guess what the first thing the driver does when he/she gets the drink and the straw. :rolleyes:

Random pic found via Google images...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #15 Valenzo, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Brings back memories of the one in Oxford, MS, home of Ole Miss.

Not sure if still true but while I was there you could only buy cold beer in a bar. The work around was the beer barn...keep a cooler in your trunk...have the barn fill the cooler with ice and beer...by the time you get to the lake or wherever you have cold beer.

Another tidbit...in the neighboring county you could buy cold beer off the shelf so an enterprising fellow opened a convenience store right on the county line, which was only ~ 8 miles from campus.

Geez, the hardships college kids must endure...where is the justice?! :D

Hotty Toddy!

17. bruceski3

bruceski3 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    They had a few in Burlington NC near the Elon Campus and in Mebane NC close to where I used to live. They where called "Cruz Thru's".

18. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    Still do - and have added a couple more.

19. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    If I recall correctly they had those a Hickam AFB in Hawaii and at Eglin AFB, Florida.

20. blaze

blaze Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Judy's Beer and Wine. My best friend's mom owned it and I worked there in high school. The SC egislature made "drive-up" beer stores illegal in the late 80s and she sold it. I'm curious about the "drive-through" concept.