Restoring Mondial leather seats | FerrariChat

Restoring Mondial leather seats

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Feb 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi, I am looking to touch up/restore some small cracks and scratches to my leather seats and search and found lots of threads for leatherique. Has anyone in the Mondial community used this product and would you know what color code I would need for my 88 leather ?
    I'm not sure which code below is the correct color: 3218SaddleI, 3234Beige, 3673Cream, 4134RRTan, 4197Magnolia, 4160Biscuit)

website of this product:
    http://www.leatherique.org/jag_rolls_ferrari.htm

Photos 1 my 3.2 1988 interior
    photos 2 leatherique color offerings
    photos 3&4 308 seats restore using this product posted by an Fchat member
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hey Mike,
    I think I read you can cut a piece of leather from under the seat and send it to them for a color match. I have called leatherique and they are really helpful on the phone. I also need to restore some parts of our seats. Unfortunately, I don't think we have the same leather tone or we could buy the dye together. I do have the rejuvenator oil and pristine clean if you want to give them a try.

Dave

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Dave, I'll give them a call tomorrow, its too bad our leathers are quite different.
    But thanks for the offer, if I decide to pick up the dye, I will order the rejuv & cleaner.
    I was going to get custom seats but decided to leave them stock.

thanks,
    Mike

4. F1wannabe

F1wannabe Karting

Sep 27, 2011
    The OP raised an interesting question, which is, "How do I know my original leather color?" I have a copy of the original window sticker on my Mondial t and it simply identifies the car as "Cabriolet Red/Beige", which is very uninformative, as to the paint color and interior color? I know my car is Rosso Corsa (not sure how I know that), but where is the paint identified on the car, and is there an identification somewhere on the car for interior leather color/code? Based on the OP, I guess it would make since that my interior leather is 3234Beige, as there no other Beige color on the list?

5. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #5 porphy, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    If its not Magnolia pls post. It looks from the photo to be different on the doors compared to the seats. Sorry it may be impossible to tell from the photo.
    Has anyone used the crack filler from Leatherique?

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 soucorp, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    Update:

This morning I called Leatherique, they are based out of SC.
    CONTACT INfo:
    Call our office toll free at 877-395-3366, or email us at [email protected], and let us answer your technical questions, and recommend exactly the correct products for the maintenance of your new leather, or restoration.

Basically they said all Ferrari's of that era is a variant of (3218 SADDLE I) but it will have to be custom mix when ordering. She said I would have to cut a small piece from under the seat and send it to them. They will match it and send the right color.

She recommended buying the kit for the best value and it has everything you need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Kit #1 Includes (1) 8 oz Rejuvenator Oil (1) 8 oz Prestine Clean (1) 8 oz Prepping Agent (1) 8 oz Leatherique Standard Color Dye.
    $75 + (Add $30.00 for CUSTOM COLOR (REQUIRES SAMPLE 1"X1") does 1 seat

Kit #2 Includes (1) 16 oz Rejuvenator Oil (1) 16 oz Prestine Clean (1) 16 oz Prepping Agent (1) 16 oz Leatherique Standard Color Dye.
    $85 + (Add $30.00 for CUSTOM COLOR (REQUIRES SAMPLE 1"X1") does 2 seats

Kit #3 Includes (1) 32 oz Rejuvenator Oil (1) 32 oz Prestine Clean (1) 32 oz Super Prepping Agent (1) 32 oz Leatherique Standard Color Dye and (1) 2oz Crack Filler
    $140 + (Add $30.00 for CUSTOM COLOR (REQUIRES SAMPLE 1"X1") does whole car, seats and dash, panels

Kit #4 Includes (1) 32 oz Rejuvenator Oil (1) 32 oz Prestine Clean (1) 32 oz Super Prepping Agent (1) 32 oz Leatherique Standard Color Dye and (1) 16 oz Leatherique Standard Color Dye (1) 2oz Crack Filler
    $170 + (Add $30.00 for CUSTOM COLOR (REQUIRES SAMPLE 1"X1") does whole car, seats and dash, panels

7. davidgovett

davidgovett Karting

Apr 9, 2010
    I am restoring my whole interior as well and the Leatherique works great so far.
    I have found that there are advantages to both air brushing and using a foam brush. So, I recommend both methods. The foam brush gets it worked in fairly well and the air brush gets the parts missed by the regular brush. Especially if you use the crack filler. That usually needs several coats of air brush. Once I'm done with the air brush, I buff it down to get all the grit off and then do one more coat with the foam brush to even things out.

Also, very fine grit sand paper comes in handy for getting the old dye off and smoothing things down.

The swatch at the bottom of the seat is the way to go. My interior was a nice yellow and the original color is almost peachy in color and looks beautiful.

If you do any sanding, try to avoid the stitching because that will fray it real bad.

My seats looked worn and cracked and after a lot of good work, they look show room new. It's good stuff if used right.

Cheers
    Dave

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Would love to see some photos of the before & after !

9. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I hope you'll provide some.

My interior is really nice but I do have some fine lines on the driver bolster. It would interesting to see this transformation.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Be prepared to do the entire interior if you match a swatch from under the car. That swatch will have newish color while the whole upper interior has faded to a very different color. If you only want to touch up a faded seat, make sure you send in the faded color sample.

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very good point ! I would do the whole seat, not sure if the patching here and there will give it the showroom look anyways.

12. davidgovett

davidgovett Karting

Apr 9, 2010
    Yeah, big time. As it is, I will have to do the center console and dash later. (Big project to get them in and out and I want to drive my car a bit too)

Big color difference.
    I'll post some pictures.
    Dave

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's a bit like make sure you photo copy document before shredding, isn't it! LOL

To do or not to do is the question one must ask. Leave it or do it right, which will turn into a big job undoubtedly !

14. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 soucorp, Jul 25, 2012
  15. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Mike I've been working on my seats and my drivers is the only one that really needed attention however like someone else already posted if you do one seat then you have to do the whole interior so it matches, it's kind of like when the misses says she wants a new couch for the living room you know drapes. carpets , laqmps etc are coming next!
    I've been using Lexol and when I first detailed my car I found it worked some but not to the degree I wanted so I detailed the car again this weekend and did some more cleaning and they really came out well although it dosen't get rid of all the cracks.

16. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    When I redid my red interior with Leatherique, I did not want to cut a piece of leather. So I popped out one of the red covers on the door handles and send it to them for color matching. You need to redo the complete interior for it to match.

Good luck!!!

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    This is a good point on whole interior. They fade so nice and evenly that it's really unnoticeable. Until you recolor one part to stock. If you cut off a small piece of leather from under seat, set it on seat for difference.

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #18 godabitibi, Jul 26, 2012
  19. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks,
    Greg

20. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    anyone just source a leather seat material to recover a worn front seat?

21. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    DadsFerrari likes this.