Air Fresheners | FerrariChat

Air Fresheners

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by scoobysteve, Jul 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    I've never used automotive air fresheners before. My first car was an E30 BMW 325is...it smelled like "80s German car" a mix of leather, plastic, and a little gasoline and oil thrown in. My Porsche 944 smells about the same. My new BMW smells like leather and...nothing. There's a clean smell.

But then there's my Subaru WRX...it's a 2003 and kinda like a wet dog. It's not a good smell and I don't like it. And I've noticed that a lot of Japanese cars smell the same way when they get old. I've tried Febreze...it doesn't work for very long. The JDM (yo!) crowd loves those weird squash air fresheners. Admittedly, I like the smell but it's so fake. I was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions or air fresheners they like.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Another trick is to hide a couple of dryer sheets like Bounce under the seats. Lots of dealerships use this trick when selling used cars owned by smokers. If they can eliminate that odor, they should be able to help you.

4. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Get a bottle of your favorite cologne & leave in the car to spray around when needed.

5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    California Car Scents.

6. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I use Squash, lasts me about a month and a week or so in the AZ heat. Smells awesome, not Squash scented, so don't let that throw you off!

Thanks for the thread, I need to go buy some more!

Well ****, I guess I should have read the OPs post completely. I guess I'm JDM, yo! :eek::p

7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    My favorite California scent is squash blossom....I'll have to try yours.

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This.

And use the "sensitive skin" ones because they don't have a scent and won't give you the headache the scented ones will.

9. Hannah

Hannah Karting

May 7, 2005
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Hannah
    I've found Nilodor works pretty good...it's an odor neutralizer. I use the Tap-a-Drop bottle and just bless the car now and then

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anilodor&keywords=nilodor&ie=UTF8&qid=1343713218

Another trick is fresh coffee grounds...again works as a neutralizer...extra bonus if you love the smell of coffee

I'm heard about these a lot but have never tried them...your choice Ash is right up my alley I love anything citrus smelling. I'm going to see if that one is available up here. Thanks for the tip!

10. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    +1

Cheapest and most effective IMHO. Doesn't even need to be freshly ground.

11. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    It is citrus smelling, but it's a different smell, it's hard to pinpoint.

If you can't find it, let me know, I'll ship some up to you!

Let me know if you can't find it where you're at too, there is a shop not too far from me called Kyoei that sells them. I shall grab some tomorrow for my car!

12. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I just picked up some of Ash's squash on eBay. Can't wait to try it. :)

13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    They had them at the local car wash for less than Amazon. I opened one up today.

14. tblount

tblount Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    I just mix up some fabric softener and water and spray on the carpets about once a week. Mix it 1 to 4 with whatever fabric softener you like and it works pretty good. Always smells clean but not too strong.

I've tried the dryer sheet under the seat but find that it only last about a day or so.