Bradan 512 TR service | FerrariChat

Bradan 512 TR service

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by BRADAN, Jul 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #1 BRADAN, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. zorro

zorro Karting

Jul 16, 2011
    That's a beautiful TR. Deatails please!

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Same fog in the 512TR front lamps ...... as always ....

4. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    See all that water being sprayed on the engine/electrical connections/alternator....made me CRINGE!!!.....Mark

5. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    +1

:(

6. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe

+100. I almost threw up in my mouth. There is not a Ferrari mechanic anywhere in the world who would have cosigned on that one. :(

7. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    +1000 And this guys is a pro??? wow...

8. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
  9. hnyc

hnyc Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    You guys are hillarious.
    I actually went back to the pic you're talking about to see the horror. I almost instantly recalled a poster once who asked about possibly harming his testarossa while driving in the rain, to which Rifledriver (hope you remember the name) said that if the car is properly running, you should be driving it through a monsoon with not a hiccup coming from the engine.
    Note that the water spraying is a general spray with no 'jetting'. Comparitive to say, water intrusion during a monsoon. Anyone here gonna question him?
    Joe, I get it, you don't like Bradan. You don't have to like them but they're over three hours away from you. Why are you so concerned about what they do? Whatever little they might know, you know even significantly less.
    Phil, considering your knowledge, I'm a little surprised at your comment. As for the other two, more armchairing I guess.
    I have no affiliation with Bradan. Not now or in the future, but if their pictorials would diminish because of a few armchair mechanics, I'd be pi**ed.

10. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If a little water hurts the electrics in that car. That car would have some big problems. You might want to find out in that environment than being caught out in a big storm.

11. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    WOW!!!..."35" posts in "9" years....If you had any REAL EXPERIENCE with Testarossas, your comments would be worth noting....I'm one of the person's whom you so FALSELY referred to as an "Arm Chair Mechanics"....I OWN a Testarossa....how about YOU???!!....there are MANY PROBLEMS that are caused on cars from water intrusion into the electrical connectors, the Testarossa being a car that also SUFFERS from this....I didn't realize that "Brian" (rifle drivers) word was cemented in stone as being "The Definitive Answer"......I gaurantee NO CAR can be driven in a "Monsoon" with water POURING on the engine without negative consequences!!!!.....Mark

12. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    I don't normarlly chim in... if you are suggesting taking a hose to the testarossa engine is no big deal, two things comes to mind that you have not owned a TR.

There are many ways you can clean that engine without running water on the electric parts.

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #17 JoeZaff, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    There is a HUGE difference between having your Ferrari drive in rainstorm or getting caught in a rainstorm, for which the louvers in the back of the car and the design of the rear deck are designed to handle---especially at speed-- and aiming a garden house directly at your exposed engine bay from behind. That photo does not look like a misting to me, it looks like a Garden hose being aimed at an engine bay. The difference in the quantity of water the engine receives, where the water goes, and the pressure of that water is dramatic . This is an area I have quite a bit of experience in because I show my cars. Hence, I asked around before having my Ferraris detailed for concours events to get a consensus from F-car mechanics before I went to a detailer. Those f-car detailers I know that detail the engines at a customers request only introduce a very light misting of water combined with chemicals and a lot of elbow grease. Personally, I have my engine detailed when it is sitting on a bench next to the car ;)

Ask any mechanic about the wisdom of aiming a garden hose in the engine bay of a Testarossa. I would love to hear his thoughts. In fact, I would love to meet the mechanic familiar with these cars who thinks its a good idea....so I can know to avoid him in the future ;)

As for my relationship with Bradan, I don't have one...but don't even begin to guess the things I know and don't know, and don't make assumptions about Bradan in that regard either. My gripes with Bradan are limited to what I posted in that thread. Read the whole thing if you like and draw your own conclusions. Let me very clear though, I have no personal animosity towards them, as you said, they are 3 hours away from me.

Bradan posted these photos and we should be able to comment on them. Its not a coincidence that three Ferrari Testarossa owners gave it a thumbs down... What, you don't think we haven't asked around about the proper way to detail the engine?

Give me a fricken break.

If the photos are misleading...than I am sure Bradan will post their exact methodology and explain their reasoning. They posted the photos, not us.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Sorry guys, I am with HNYC in this.... what's this fuss about ?

If the injection and / or electric system cannot stand a little water (what this is) ... get rid of that car.

If you are driving on a motorway at 100km/h, HOW much water is sprayed on/at the enginebay do you think ?

I only would not recomment spraying the engine bay with a hot engine ....

One little other comment as "detailer": I only wash with the "two-bucket" system and NEVER use a sponge ....(sponge=sand) ... ;)

The fotos of this Bradan company are fine I think; show how you can clean a car propperly imo ....

15. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The best thing about this forum is we are free to disagree. I guess we are on different sides of the coin on this one.

If I may,however, I would suggest that on the motorway at speed, given the way the rear louvers and the car is designed as a whole, I would be surprised if much water makes its way into the engine bay. I would be more concerned when the car is standing still, than at speed. However, in both scenarios, the water would be coming into the bay at a far different pressure, different volume, and different angle, than it would experience by opening up a garden hose in there.

Also, how these cars were designed 20+ years ago, did not take into consideration the degradation of rubber and plastic components that protect vital electronic and mechanical parts. That degradation could make them even more vulnerable to water penetration...especially from a garden hose.

Just my .02

16. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    I actually put a kind of plastic foil over (the cold) engine before washing the car ... that's because normally the engine compartment of our testarossa is very clean, so the water would make some spots on the exhaust and air filter housing:)

But sprinkling some water over the engine isn't any problem!!!

I don't like chemicals that much - there are for example some very agressive products that really don't like AMP superseal boots that much (http://www.msel.co.nz/epages/motorsportelectronics.sf/en_NZ/?ObjectPath=/Shops/motorsportelectronics/Categories/Boots/Boots), thats the reason why I had to change all the boots on our 355 ... :-(

You also need to spray / wash the engine with water after using some kind of chemicals ...

17. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Fuel injected cars have weather pack connectors and higher quality harnesses unaffected by rain/washing. We wash 8-10 Ferraris a week through our detailing department and have never had an issue. CIS and Carb cars generally have lower quality wiring harnesses so we plastic bag the engines to avoid any possible issues. Keep in mind the engine gets just as wet if left in the rain or during washing.

18. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Bradan,

The photos appear to show hosing down the engine. Are they correct or was a lighter mist used? If you are using a full power, have you considered the possibility of degradation to the protective coverings over 20+ years. I know more than a few older f car owners that have suffered a host of issues immediately after Hosing down the engine in this manner. Also, have you considered the difference in water pressure and volume that you are introducing vs. a rain storm.

Again, I am assuming you are using the pressure indicated in your photos. Of course, I acknowledge the possibility the photos may be misleading.

19. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Full strength from the hose, the photos are not misleading. No I have not. Have you considered the wiring harness sees water, coolant, oil, and intense engine bay temps? A CIS testarossa harness and a 512 harness are not the same thing. In my previous post I mentioned we cover CIS motors to avoid any possible issues.

The car seems to be running just fine........ hollow cats and Capristo in full sing![ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apKClm2QSNA&list=UUfXu0SFbT4oUfKa0lilOXow&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #24 JoeZaff, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    They don't see engine oil and coolant all over the exterior of the engine unless you are doing the work. :D

If you think a rainstorm through louvers and an engine cover is the same as firing a water hose directly at the engine, I'm done debating.

Just do your thing.

:rolleyes:

21. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Joe,

This was just serviced by a dealership. Would you like to see photos of all the gaskets leaking lightly? Gravity doesn't care who did the work. GFY ;).

What is there to debate? I have a full time detailing department and your a lawyer giving advice on it.