Ferrari Factory Tour 2012 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Factory Tour 2012

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Need4Spd, Jul 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
    #26 slewman, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That is not surprising. Ferrari started a factory renovation program in 1997, called Formula Uomo, and has nearly remade the entire facility to make it greener, more efficient and more worker-friendly. http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2008/07/06-ferrari-formula-uomo/

You should go back and visit.

3. Jdriver

Jdriver Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks so much for posting the pics and your story. We went last year and your story and pictures brought back such great memories, we are already planning our next trip during the summer of 2013. If you are a true car lover, even if you're not into Ferrari's this visit is amazing!
    BDelp, you've got to get this visit on your schedule, 1985 was a long time ago! Perhaps you can swing over to Italy during NE of your trips to China!

4. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thank you very much for all this information and the pics. I have my tour scheduled for October. Very much looking forward to it.

One question, actually my wife has been asking me this question.
    How many persons do they allow to attend each tour session?

Thanks, Al

5. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What an amazing post. Thank you for taking the time it took for the write up and posting of all the pictures. Hoping to make it myself one day.

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If you mean how many per tour group, I think it's limited by the size of the tour bus and number of tour guides, so it's something like 20 if only one guide is available for that tour time. There were only about a dozen people in my group.

If you mean how many would they allow to have join you, I think that's between you and the dealer arranging the tour and the factory. They only let me be joined by my wife, but if you are a better customer they might let you have more guests. Somebody reported bringing along 2 or more other friends unannounced, and having them be allowed to join the tour. But I'll bet that doesn't happen every day.

BTW, there is no charge for the tour (but it's only available through Ferrari dealers and you have to be an owner or owner to be, i.e., own a Ferrari or have one on order), and at least when I went, I also got free Museo Ferrari passes, the hardbound Ferrari 2012 book I mentioned (NOT the Opus!), a Ferrari factory tour/visit "passport," and a 20% discount at the Ferrari Store in Maranello (and only for that store location). You also get a vistor's badge that you get to keep (and show to get your store discount).

No pictures allowed once you leave the visitors center. I took a few inside the visitors center with my cell phone, but haven't posted them. I think they will check in your camera for you, but knowing of the restriction in advance, I left my DSLR in my hotel room for the tour, and retrieved it before visiting the museum after the tour was over (DON'T LEAVE IT IN YOUR RENTAL CAR). Pictures obviously are allowed in the museum (which is outside the factory gates), at least as of the time of my visit.

7. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    In Maranello I would highly recommend Maranello Village http://www.hotelmaranellovillage.com/en/hotel/hotel.html

Plenty of Ferrari themes, spacious and modern rooms, convenient distance to all the sights and surrounds.

On the shoulder season when I stayed there the prices so low it's unbelievable how good a value it is.

8. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated.
    Yes I was interested in # per tour group.
    I already have my October reservation for my wife and myself.
    Very much looking forward to it.

9. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    thanks for sharing .. makes me want to jump on a plane & go back for another visit

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I visited in November 2010 with almost a foot of snow on the ground. It was great to see new Ferraris being test driven out of the Ferrari gates and come back a few minutes later covered in nasty brown slush. I wonder if their owners have no even taken them out in the rain since?

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #36 of2worlds, Jul 30, 2012
    Great images and your stories to from Maranello that you shared here! Back in post #7 from the Museum tour are these two pictures again. In these pictures can be seen the special silver 360 with the cut down windshield that was a wedding gift for Luca di Montezemolo. The museum displays are quite amazing.
    CH
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I wonder why they're removed so much Marlboro branding?

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Interesting observation. I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. If you compare the pic of Schumacher at the Museo pumping his fist with his driving suit hung at Ristorante Montana, you can see that they have deleted the "Marlboro" mark from the pic. Also, it appears none of the cars have "Marlboro" on them, despite that company being a sponsor during at large period. Maybe their current sponsorship or company policy prohibits them from having anything to do with the tobacco industry.

14. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Even back then, wasn't there a ban at at least several of the tracks? So, during the same season, you'd see either the brand name or not, depending on the venue.

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    That seems strange because when collectors buy an old F1 car one of the stipulations is that the livery can NOT be changed or modified...
    CH

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks so much for your effort to "take us along"!!!!

That was great.......Luca's 360 'Barchetta', that's cool.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #42 PhilNotHill, Jul 31, 2012
    +1

This sculpture looks like a 360 Modena. Beautiful.

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #43 Need4Spd, Aug 1, 2012
  19. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
  20. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #45 Gran Drewismo, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    How often do they rotate the cars in and out of the museum? I was there a little over two months ago and recognize some but there are some others that weren't there when we were.

One thing I noticed. The 360 Barchetta was pretty dirty. That surprised me in a way. Looks like it had been left out in the rain a few times. Not sure what material was used on the seats (almost looked like canvas) but it clearly had water stains.

21. BobO

BobO Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Loudoun Co, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob O
    The Ferrari stores in Rome and Venice are worth a visit if in town.

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    +1 We saw the one in Rome and London but did not visit Venice. Each store is a little different, and each seems to have slightly different merchandise. The London store had a great sale on polo shirts with the Ferrari shield ~ £30 each. They may be phasing them out in favor of polo shirts with just the cavallino. I noticed that the prices for the cavallino clothing are always higher than the prices for clothing with the shield. Perhaps this is because the cavallino is more understated and doesn't scream "Ferrari" so loudly, and can thus be worn in more circumstances.

The stores don't allow you to take pictures inside. Here is a pic of the London store's front, and a couple of the window contents of the Rome store.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Road & Track factory tour.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUhZ66H1NvM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

25. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #50 D.Mauro, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
    I was at the factory, on Monday, Christina was our guide, we also seen the v8 and v12. She was very thorough. A picture of Christina and my wife.