NYC Cop claims foot ran over by 458 driver. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

NYC Cop claims foot ran over by 458 driver.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by diSCUDsted, Aug 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sorry no one deserves a "beat down", especially not for a traffic ticket.

You don't care who the person is? Well, put in a 80 year old lady in a Prius and tell me you feel the same.

The guy was an idiot. The cop didn't need to use violence either.

2. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Seems to about sum it up.

3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yep.

The only thing this video helps it gives the Fcar haters on Japlopnik something to post about for the next few days.

Everyone looks bad here.

Just for the record, if a cop tells you not to do something --- DON'T DO IT ANYWAY -- no matter what it may be.

4. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Let's keep away from the P&R, guys...

Thanks in advance.

Mike

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +10000!!

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The guy was illegally parked and the cop started writing a ticket so the guy got in his car thinking if he drove away he'd get out of it. Like that's never happened before, sheesh? Him supposedly ripping up the ticket is probably BS as the beat down would have started before that and why would the cop be quietly writing another? You can clearly see the cop move his foot in the way in the video. Total overkill on the cops part. If the guy had of drove off he would have gotten the ticket in the mail regardless. Now the cop got revenge and this guy will be looking at a legal $mack down too.

7. Speed Demon 1

Speed Demon 1 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2009
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    SS
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/06/ferrari-458-driver-runs-over-cops-foot-jailarity-ensues/#continued

Source: Autoblog
    Ferrari 458 driver runs over cop's foot, jailarity ensues

By Jonathon RamseyRSS feed

Posted Aug 6th 2012 12:44PM

Comments110

If you've been part of the Autoblog family for any amount of time, you'll know we post some videos showcasing outrageous behavior. Still, it's been a while since we came across actions as willfully brainless as those in this video.

A man parks his Ferrari 458 Italia on a street in New York City. A police officer arrives to issue a ticket, during which time the man returns. The man doesn't appear to say a word, just gets in and starts the car. The policeman moves to the front corner of the 458, standing up against quarter panel to make sure the owner doesn't drive away. The man then proceeds to, albeit very slowly, drive away – until he starts to drive over the cop's foot, at which point the pounding and yelling begin and the driver gets yanked from the car and introduced to the gritty taste of NYC pavement. And handcuffs. And gawkers with video cameras. Neither the man nor the Ferrari came out of it unscathed – the now-impounded 458 Italia was scratched in several places.

According to the New York Post, the Ferrari driver in question is 28 year-old Julien Chabbott, an internet entrepreneur. The Ferrari was cited for parking in a no-parking zone, along with failure to display an NYC inspection sticker in its front window and failing to have a registration. The unidentified police officer reportedly sustained injuries to his left hand and right foot in the altercation.

Before you cue up the video below, a warning: While there's less foul language than we'd expect in light of the events, there is some. And if you're wondering who the blond hovering around the back of the car is, that's said to be Stephanie Pratt, erstwhile cast member of the MTV show The Hills. We aren't sure what her relationship is to the driver, it's just part of the 2:47 craziness in the video below.

8. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    "$260,000" ???

Mine at that price.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    While i agree the guy behaved in a very arrogant manner, i dont think it deserved a beatdown or being pulled out of the car and thrown to the ground. Your comment about a nightstick to the head is laughable.. You are almost welcoming police brutality, which is easy to do when you are behind a computer and not confronted to LEO. Some are cool, some are *******s and even if you are behaving like you think you should, you can still get that nightstick against your pretty face because people like you are ok with cops over reacting.

10. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I failed to see the portion of the video where the officer commands the driver to stay put. There is no instruction from the officer at all until he claims to have been run over, which is bogus as can be seen in the video.

I would like to believe that no officer is this stupid, and the event was a publicity stunt of some sort. LEO's are trained to give people clear commands... this one did nothing but take out his childish aggressions on the 1%.

11. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Umm, if a cop is writing out a ticket to my car, common sense and common courtesy is going to tell me I shouldn't pull away.

Honestly, I'm surprised how many people actually think the driver was not totally at fault for this incident. The kid pulls away and brushes the car against a cop and (maybe) ran over his foot and you don't think that's going to met with some trouble?

All actions have consequences.

12. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not really. I just think when you act like an arrogant **********... eventually you're gonna get clobbered... and rightfully so. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest if he's that much of a prick to think he can just get in his car and drive away like he owns the place in that situation, it's likely he behaves just as badly to a lot of other people.

To me, it's sort of like a bully thing. Eventually, they bully the wrong person and get what's coming to them. If more people, whether a cop or not, reacted with appropriate and like-kind behavior, then we'd likely have a more civil attitude towards one another.

Bottom line, he assualted a police officer. He saw the officer position himself in front of his car and moved forward anyway to "move" the office out of the way. That takes a certain sort of meglomaniac to do that and think there will be no consequence. He parked on the officer's foot, and would not get off right away. He was going slow enough to have felt the car rolling on the guys foot. He didn't back off. Then when he did, he wouldn't get out of the car as commanded ... which I don't feel was an unreasonable request considering what just happened... and made the cops pull him from the car and take him down. Now somehow, the cops are fault? Please. I've had my share of being pulled over and I've had my share of bully cops. I've politely stated my case sometimes more vigorously than others, but always accepted the consequences because the reality is... I was at fault pretty much 100% of the time. I've yet to experience a beat down by a cop for doing nothing.

Also, take into consideration that cops are humans too. Have you ever had your foot run over? Its not pleasant. My wife ran over my foot once in her A6. I'm very thankful I was not able to chase her down the driveway. I might not be here today chatting with you fine folks.

The fact that the guy is driving a Ferrari doesn't mean anything. It could have been an Accord... it doesn't matter. There are just certain kinds of people who think rules don't apply to them, or act arrogantly as a way of daily course. Sometimes, they end paying a price for that.

13. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Very disappointing to read forum members attempting to justify or provide excuses for this utterly moronic Ferrari owner's behavior. There is never a case where you are entitled to strike another human being with your car or drive away from a police officer writing a ticket. Doing so and disobeying an order to stop earns a forceful removal from your vehicle, as seen here.

Folks, your car is a deadly weapon, just like a gun. Using it to intimidate or strike another is assault with a deadly weapon. Don't think so? Ask Brentwood resident Dr. Christopher Thompson (current address: California State Prison, Norco).

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #39 SonomaRik, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    I don' see a freaking thing wrong with the cop's response.

- the ass gets in his car and makes a determination to be a prick and not only start his car, but [and here is where he went very wrong] MOVE IT.

- cop was in front of the car then when car moves goes to the side to tell the dude to stop, cease, decist. Those are direct orders from a cop which any licensed driver knows he's to obey at a minimum. That is when cops foot got hit.

- it's a CAR on a BUSY high occupied street, if the guy has a complaint about the cop's touching his car, he needs to put it in a plastic bag and seal it away at home.

- pissing off the cop by, LEGALLY, assaulting him, the guy expects what, his peaceful miranda regard for himself? NO. He has shown himself not only a threat, but a disregard for a clearly identifiable officer of the law.

S0rry, the dude just walked into a sh*t storm.

One could argue 'excessive force' but not after one assaults the law.

As a cop what is he to truly know about what the dude may do next. Gun, knife, try to drive away even more reclessly. Shoot, he appears to not be in his right senses.

Kind of surprised they didn't tow the car to boot.

Clearly I would not want to be that guy in front of a judge.

UPDATE

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/ferrari_fool_floors_it_onto_tix_pD8q1YCpaRdrx1ncqQuCfI

Might already be reported, but the Post states he owns/run a site called LINESNOB where is is used as "Changing the way you WAIT"
    lol

I think he just made his top of the worst list

ALSO, they now have impounded the car as arrest evidence LOL

FAIL

15. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I didn't see it stated that the driver was the owner of the car, so is it his or the girl from MTV?

The article from the paper stated that before the video started the police officer told the guy to stay on the sidewalk. If that is true, then just by getting in the car, much less starting it or even driving it, seems to put the driver totally at fault in my opinion.

What's really important here is, how can I get the car for ten bucks if the police sell it from the impound lot?

16. Mowgli

Mowgli Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2009
    Bristol, CT
    Everyone is right. If another person has been given a gun and a badge, you must do WHATEVER he says or you should be put to death. Even if that person is told to spit out the gum he is chewing. If he refuses, it is civil disobedience and should be brought swiftly to justice with a bullet to the brain. We can't have the public acting in such a manor. A total totalitarian regime MUST be deployed or we just may LOSE this country!

17. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Didn't Enzo say "There are such people as Ferrari Owners, and there are Ferrari Drivers.." or something to that effect...

This guy fits very much in the first category

18. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    If true, that would change things a bit. But still, the officer chose to play a fool instead of give him a direct order to shut the car down and get back on the curb. I could understand if it was a quiet car, perhaps he didn't hear it start, but a Ferrari usually is obvious when starting.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We can end this here

Driver: Jerk

Cop: Jerk

Bottom line for driver: don't try to drive away from a traffic ticket and be impolite to an officer of the law. Take the ticket, say thank you, and fight it in court if you think it's wrong.

Bottom line for cop: Be a professional and don't let your emotions run amok. You're there for public safety. Remember that.

20. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Doubt the cop said that. Why didn't he go ballistic the minute he stepped off the curb and tried to get in his car? We know the cop has a hot temper as evidence in the video and it wasn't until the guy supposedly ran over his foot(after stupidly placing it in the way) that he reacted. I think the frustrated cop saw this ME guy driving an F-car so he thought he'd set him up and make an example out of him. This policing was way out of line. He could have nailed the guy without making sure he supposedly ran over his foot, damaging his car then beating the guy up and throwing the book at him. The guy(F-owner) got suckered and will pay the price unless he lawyers up with some hot shot. Some good reality TV though :)

21. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agree, however one big point was forgotten. That cop should have NEVER stepped in front of the car...especially while it was running! That is, by far, the worst thing in that video. That cop has to go home at night to his family. NOTHING else really matters at the end of the day. He could have just mailed the ticket to the registered owner. Not worth the whole mess for a stupid ticked.
    The driver was an arrogant spoiled prick. Ask any cop and they will tell you that they would rather work in any ghetto, than a "high end" area and deal with people that act that way, they try to act like they can do what ever they want. In the good areas the cops are contantly saying: "no I don't know who you are, nor do I care", "I don't care who you know", "I don't care what you know" etc.

22. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Well said.

23. Flywheel

Flywheel Formula 3

Jul 8, 2012
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Henri
    In the beginning the guy says "how are you doing man" to which the officer says something in the line of "not bad", so it's quite impossible that there was anything prior to this.

Secondly, the officer says "you ran over my foot" twice. The first time he says it, he then continues to write, which would indicate that he doesn't mean it got physically overrun, but that the car touched his leg.

The story however changes later on when he realizes that everything is on tape, so he starts limping.

Why on earth didnt the officer tell the guy anything about a ticket prior to him getting in the car, or react visibly when he started the car?

24. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    So you are an anarchist just as much as a nation of laws is totalitarian, right?

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here's my problem with the cop. Look at the tape.

Guy gets in the car, cop does nothing -- barely acknowledges he's there but steps next to car.

Guy starts the car, cop does nothing but move closer to tire (rather intentionally)

Guy moves the car, cop yells "Stop". He yells "stop" 4 times but car seems to move only Twice.

After the 4th "stop", which the car appears to be already stopped (and if it wasn't, it surely moved very little) cop pounds the window at the same time saying "you ran over my foot" slams open the door, and drags the guy out and slams him onto the car while clearly out of control.

Ok, the idiot driver should not have done this. But, this cop had some kind of agenda too. He wanted something to happen here.

Sorry guys -- two people doing stupid things. Sure, one started it but the one who finished it was wrong too.