Another makover, green metallic F40 | FerrariChat

Another makover, green metallic F40

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Gimme Fuel, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Here you'll see my latest makover - the car is 90% done, need some paint
    here and there.
    The color is some kind of green metallic, looks even better in real rather than these pix though.
    I have no idea about what those red dots in the intakes on the hood are, I cant see them in real.

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

2. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
  3. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    Those red dots are the plastic air intakes on the other side of the hood, just take it off & paint it black.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I would like to cut LM type "holes" into the area of my 1/18 F40 where you have the red dots and air intakes.

Anybody any experience in drilling/machining those "holes"?

I still have bad memories from when I tried to add an air intake into the front of my F50 GT. Didn't come out nicely.

5. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Yes, I figured - but I CANT see the dots in real, only in the picture with flash.

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

6. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Andreas.
    Sorry, I cant help you there, that sound complicated. but if you sucseed in that operation, I think it might be very cool.
    Are you done with the GT yet??

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have a spare 1/18 F40, which I used for kitbashing (sorry). I can experiment with that one before I go after my F40 LM Michelotto, which has everything but the classic LM 'holes'. A friend of mine has a lathe and a drill, maybe that will do the job.

Your red dots are probably plastic under the hood. Just open the hood and paint that plastic (around the spare tire) flat black.

Planning on finishing the GT today. Stay tuned. What a nightmare project, months in the making and the results aren't really overwhelming. My advice: Buy one if you find one.
    :(

8. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Andreas.
    Whats a "lathe"?? I understand that its some kind of a tool...but what kind?

I'm gonna paint the red dots as well, besides they dont show in real, only in the pic with flash.
    I'm aslo on the look for a GT but they are very expensive - so I dont think I'm gonna modify that one if I get it.
    The only cars I can modify is probably the F40 and the F50 because they're so cheap on ebay.de. - so I can afford to "waste" a couple of bucks on those.

You can only learn from your mistakes - we learn something EVERY day you know.

If you have any "messed" up projects you dont wanna post here, please feel free to email me them (I wont laugh) hehe - but its cool to see other
    ideas too you know.

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

9. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anyone know if its hard to make a 1/18 LHD F40 into RHD?

Cheers

10. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    The F40 looks pretty good. I even like the color. Did you use an airbrush or just spray paint? I've used air brushes before on my art projects but I've just purchased one of my own for my models. Tried doing a "race" version of an 1932 Alfa Romeo 2300. Put "dirt" on the wheels and fenders. Also dirtied up the windshield, looks good. When I'm finished I'll post some pics. I'm looking for old style "scuderia" shields because I've converted it to a "Ferrari" Alfa.

I messed up in lubricating the air brush though, I think I put a few too many drops of oil because it mixed with the paint and caused bubbles. I'm fixing that right now. Do you guys use waterbased paint or oil?

11. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Hi Grande, thanx a lot.
    I use spray paint on the main body and black model paint on the intakes and small details. - you ca also see my f50 which I did a few days ago - the link is called "My new F50 makeover"
    Yeah, post your pix soon - wanna see you know.
    Another thing you could to to make this "dirt effect" is to paint a small dot somewhere on the body, and then use your finger to try to wipe it off, but not to hard though - from the front and go backwards. that way (if you use a dark color) it will make a cool effect.

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Depends on how serious you're about it. With the recent scrutiny in this forum I would say, don't even try it. Or don't even try to sell it...
    :)

Seriously, it can't be that hard. I would get two F40 models and cut the front dash in half and reverse the pieces. Ideally you do that on a race F40, so you can take one seat out, that leads the observers already to the RHD. Steering the wheels I would just not even bother with and forget that part.

Wrecked Ferrari: A lathe is what the Germans call a Drehbank, which is a rotating tool in which you put your object and make cuts etc. A drill is basically a vertically mounted drill machine to make cuts as well. The embarrassing part about this is, that I have that equipment but not the knowledge to pull this off without loosing a finger or an eye.
    :(

13. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Thanx alot Andreas, now I figured it out.
    PS:you can still rebuild model cars with 9 fingers and 1 eye do you??? :) :)

14. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    ....damn RETURN botton, I wasnt finished.
    My mom always said...."it grows back out" :)
    I just won another F50 on ebay for 4 buckz + a 365 GTS for 7 buckz, thats not bad........
    Anyway, now I'm off to watch Bad Boys II - I've seen a couple of clip from it, and I do belive they use a 550/575 in a car chase.

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes they do. One of the best car chases I have ever seen. Simply awesome, enjoy!

16. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks Andreas