F-Car to Prom Spring 2013 | FerrariChat

F-Car to Prom Spring 2013

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Dakota, Aug 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    Im wondering if taking a F-Car to prom for my senior year highly unlikely or just plain impossible. I know it would be a major feat of someone loaning a F-Car for 4-5 hours but im just throwing it out there because that would be amazing and make my high school dream come true. I am on the Richland Rebel Golf Team and will be attending my senior year at Richland High School. If anyone ill willing to get in touch and talk more seriously about this I could give them a date and come out an see them.
    Cheers

2. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    One thing I've found is that when attending proms, or high school reunions, very little time seems to be spent in the parking lot, and less people will see your car than you think. In a situation like this, having a car you have to be really careful with (not scraping on driveways) can take more fun away from the situation than it adds.

The car I drove to the prom, I built from parts. It was a stunning work of art. Quite literally the best looking MGB GT in town. No one saw me in the parking lot. I guess my date's parents got to see it and may have been impressed (more so if they knew I built the car and the engine myself), but any happiness related to the car I was driving that night, was something I experienced every time I turned the key: driving a car I built myself.

3. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I understand the desire for such a nice car for an evening like prom. My car broke down weeks before my prom and I had to use my moms car.. buzz kill right? not so much we spent 20 minutes max in the car no biggie :)

4. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Asking someone to lend their Ferrari is really quite a stretch. I know that you have a real desire to get more involved in the Ferrari world but this may not be the way to accomplish it. I realize you would love to ride in one since you have not had that opportunity yet and perhaps someone may be willing to take you for a ride in theirs but I really doubt you will get any response at all from someone letting a teenager they do not know take their hard earned F Car out unchaperoned.....

I do not know of an agency in the DFW area that rents Ferraris but there is one in Houston. You would need to plan on forking out a grand for four hours and guarantee no more that 50 miles put on it. Plus you would have to pay to have the car shipped here in an enclosed trailer and returned to the agency in the same condition in which you received it.

Sounds a little pricy to me and what is your reason for wanting to take one to the prom? Who are you trying to impress? Like said earlier, no one looks on the parking lot....And if you have to let others know you are driving a Ferrari that night you are inviting vandalism to the car. Remember, our son graduated from Richland high school four years ago and you know we only live two blocks south of the school. I know that when some of the people there found out he was driving an A6 Quattro in just a short time some very mysterious scratches appeared on it......

Good luck with your search but do not hold your breath. There are a lot of stories on here of some guys working for a year or two just to get a ride in one.

5. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    I am in the process of restoring a 62' Comet with my Dad and was planning on taking that vehicle to prom. I posted this thread to get a view at how possible it would be to get a Ferrari out of its pen for a few hours 5-6 months down the road. I guess im looking to see if the idea would be shot down instantly. It has just been something I have wanted to do since I got my first car, to me it is not fully about the being seen with the car at the parking lot. And as far as the date goes I have that covered she lives with me!!! Just polling the chats cause I really want this to happen it would be extremely special.
    Cheers

Posted from Ferrarichat.com App for Android

6. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #6 BlackBird007, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
    There's a rental place in Dallas called Platinum Motorcars that you could show your dad. However, the only Ferrari they have is a 430 Scuderia, and I don't think you would like the ride of one of those, especially if you live in an area with bumpy roads.

If you like Aston Martin, Lamborghini, or Bentley, they have some of those cars there. Just my .02. But then again, James brought up some very good points regarding the rental price and mileage, as well as vandalism. One of my friends took her dads Boxster to prom this year, and it came back with a slit cut in the roof.

Maybe you should try something a couple of steps down the ladder for a rental, if you do rent something. Maybe perhaps a Volvo. My S60 really impresses my friends, despite it being 11 years old with door dings, a decent sized crack in the windshield (not for too much longer though), and temporary cupholders (just the frame for them - no bottoms or anything, but I got parts ordered yesterday).

7. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Not saying this is what you should do but,,,,,,,,,,,,go ahead and split the cost with a buddy and rent the stretch limo thing. Let someone else drive you around all night after the dance and do whatever you want in the back. The driver will be responsible and you can let go and enjoy. Then get one of your new friends on Ferrarichat to take you for a ride in their car. I know you had a couple of offers from a couple of the guys at the Fort Worth Cars and Coffee yesterday to take you out in their cars when they get out of the shop. Things have to progress one step at a time........

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Did you ask your date what she wants to arrive in?

I drove a borrowed Corvette to prom. I recall my girlfriend at the time asking whether I was taking her, or the Corvette, to prom. I guess I was a little to excited about the car. Result was opposite of the intended effect.

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Better off getting a shag wagon with a waterbed than messing with a Ferrari, just sayin'.

10. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Lol
    On an episode of top gear, Jeremy said a Volvo station wagon would be the best car for a 17-year old because the back was big enough for a waterbed

A Ferrari would be fun, but your date may not be too thrilled about the idea and it may cause you to be too focused on being careful with the car rather than just driving and enjoying the time with your date

11. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #11 BlackBird007, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1 to the limo idea. Most of my friends who went as groups this year took limos. Though, two groups rented Mercedes Sprinter party buses instead of the usual Lincoln Towncar limos.

These aren't pictures of the actual ones they rented, but just to give you an idea...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    Thanks for all the good ideas!! I will consider some of these after all prom is a good way away.

Posted from Ferrarichat.com App for Android

13. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Party bus. You will thank me later.

14. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Party bus or limo for sure!

15. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    #15 Dakota, May 17, 2013
  16. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nice! lol....didn't want to do the cliché limo thing with friends?

17. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    didn't like the idea very much, or the price.

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    FF FTW!

via rubber ducky

19. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    NIce! And props on cleaning it! Girls notice stuff like that. Trim the finger and toe nails too btw lol......

20. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    I keep all the cars cleaned polished and waxed. Fun imo :)

21. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    What he said... That's what I told my son when he wanted to take the Ferrari..

it's all about the babes anyway - you don't want people paying more attention to the car!

22. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    #22 drjohngober, May 19, 2013
  23. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    we did the party bus dealio for my prom and it was a blast! but that was a looooong time ago in a galaxy far far away

hope you guys had as much fun as I did....aaaah, the memories ;)