New Spider | Page 7 | FerrariChat

New Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DavidJames1, Jan 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Yes - actually doesn't look bad and the curve makes it work better than it would otherwise. The dealer organized this - so I guess it must be fairly easy to have done.

David

2. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    #152 DavidJames1, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Picked-up my car last Wednesday and have put over 1,000km on it since then. On the weekend I took it to Margaret River which is a wine area south of Perth. Stunning winter weather brilliant sunshine and no wind with lots of hilly windy roads.

It’s around a three hour drive down so I was interested to see how the car was for a longish trip. Glad I got cruise control as the drive down was a breeze and I could pretty much stay within a reasonable range of the speed limits. The big surprise was the sports seats (large) – my California had daytonas and after long drives I was always a bit stiff. The sports seats were stunning – so comfortable and no stiffness at all after a long drive.

For the last part of the drive once I got off the main roads and into more hilly country I put the top down and had an absolute blast – just a pleasure. One thing I noticed was a rattle over bumps just behind me and to my left. When I put the top up and then down again it disappeared. Must be something that needs tightening and will have the dealer look at that.

Hadn’t used the media attachments for the stereo before – but bought an ipod nano and loaded it up from itunes and that worked really well. Not the greatest sounding stereo but it did the job. Actually wasn’t really listening that hard as the whole drive experience especially top down was so much fun.

Driving at night was fine except that I made a mental note to get adaptive headlights on my next car. On long sweeping bends the normal lights are fine but on the shorter sharper bends I think adaptive might help. I guess I would need to try them first to make sure the technology delivers what I think it does.

It goes without saying that the car is an absolute head turner and had a lot of friendly comments along with the occasional idot that wants to race. The funniest was a guy in a van who wanted to race me from a set of lights – he was there revving his engine and off he went – left me for dust – so he’s probably one happy camper.

Another pleasant surprise was storage – could take a couple of cases of wine, a rucksack and medium suitcase up-front with no problem at all. The storage space behind the seats isn’t huge but is ok for the incidentals two people like to have in the car for a long drive.

I always liked the 458 but I’m a convertible guy – so very glad I waited. The pictures are from Cape Lodge which is a great relaxing place to stay if you ever find yourself in Margaret River.

David
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the write-up. The car looks great. :)

4. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

That is so beautiful! It's amazingly similar to mine only with Rosso Corsa. Hopefully in a few weeks I can post some pics of my own!

Thanks for posting these. Perth looks marvelous.

6. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
    The most beautiful 458 I have seen with exceptional photography.

The car and the photos are works of art.

7. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Cool pics! Thanks for putting up..

Good to see an Aussie car out and about.. put those miles on just like Mark!

You may also be aware of Mark's solution with front plate is nice and unobtrusive if you wanted to consider that as an option.

8. jacinto jardine

jacinto jardine Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2011
    australia
    Full Name:
    Fly 458
    Exquistie taste and talent behind the lens.

Your car photographs so well, enjoy it immensely!!

9. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Alexm,

In the first week did about 1,200km then was out of town for 3 weeks - now back for 3 weeks so the Km will keep piling on - is my daily driver just such a pleasure to be in.

David

10. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Hey everyone, I'm the guy who took the photos of Davids 458 Spider - thanks for the kind words.

Stunning car, was a pleasure to photograph!

11. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
  12. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    #162 DavidJames1, Sep 2, 2012
  13. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Outstanding pics!!!

14. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Nice, what color?

15. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Grigio Titanio with cuoio interior.

David

16. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    They're great shots.. and the colour combination works so well!

Here's hoping to even better weather coming out of winter now and plenty of fun miles for you!

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Beautiful...shows off the lines very well. I love it.

18. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

19. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Please please more pics of this car, stunning photos already but really keen to see the interior also
    Speccing a spider soon and was going for bianco Fuji, but this colour looks really good

20. jasonrhcastle

jasonrhcastle Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    David,

Absolutely love your car! I have a Grigio Silverstone and Cuoio California. When I replace it, I am likely gonna do as you. Absolutely love it. Was thinking Ferro, but Titano is molto bello!

Cheers!

Jason

21. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    #171 DavidJames1, Sep 4, 2012
  22. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Looks absolutely stunning. Well done.

23. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    That first exterior image is jaw dropping. Every line is visible. Just shows you how sexy the curves on the 458 really are.

24. A7F4

A7F4 Rookie

Sep 11, 2011
    Hi David,
    I stumbled across this thread after chatting to the guys at Ferrari then googling "Ferrari 458 Spider Grigio Titanio". I'm currently looking at 458's and would love to stretch to the spider if my budget permits. I'm currently enjoying a manual 360 coupe. Would love to catch up with you for a coffee and talk cars if you are interested.

How long are you in Perth for?

Alfa

25. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Love that kind of color. Simple but elegant! Nice spider!