456 oil level - bizarre | FerrariChat

456 oil level - bizarre

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GTB4NART, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    My dipstick oil level fluctuates wildly. Per the book, I warm the car for 5 minutes and shut off the engine - check the oil and it's halfway between min and max. Then, I go for a 25 minute drive, shut down and check it immediately (a few times) - it's now two inches above the max! I noticed that now I have a small oil leak from the airboxes (at the intake clamp). Is this an overfill situation? How would the oil get all the way past the valves to the airbox? Weird.

2. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Its not abnormal. They say to check 5 mins after shutdown so the oil has time to drain back in the resevoir. Otherwise, the oil level appears way high. Blowby oil is deliberately recirced to the intake system of cars. In a fairly new car, there shouldn't be much, so I'd ask a mechanic to check that out.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I was told by one of the dealer techs (the one with the most experience, incidentally, who has since retired) that the best way to check the oil on a 456 is with the engine running (or *immediately* after shutdown).

Otherwise the reading may be low.

4. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

If you read the label on the car....(it is by the tank, Driver's side)

It tells you at what temperature to check oil level at, Not after 5 minutes.
    The oil will not be at the proper level when at 5 minutes.

Club guys do this a lot and screw up by adding 2 extra quarts of oil and then burning it all out on the track...LOL