Beware F355 and 360 water pumps on Ebay from max071492! | FerrariChat

Beware F355 and 360 water pumps on Ebay from max071492!

Discussion in '348/355' started by ExcelsiorZ, Aug 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I purchased a water pump for my Ferrari 355 from a seller on Ebay. He had the best price, claimed he used a better than OEM seal and bearing and boasted of his two year warranty.

Soon after the pump was installed in my car I could smell coolant. Turns out the pump had a slow seepage sort of leak. Needless to say I was not happy! The only way to access the water pump after a major service is to drop the gas tank, shift rod, etc. Suffice to say it's not a cheap job. I've put hardly any miles on this Ferrari as it was laid up while I waited for custom wheels to clear my big brake kits. After waiting forever for my wheels, the 355 was back on the road.

A few weeks ago I was driving when I heard a terrible sounding snap! It was so bad I presumed my timing belt had snapped. Had the car towed to the shop. Turns out the pulley on the rebuilt pump was held on by a non oem nut. This nut had worked its way lose. The loose water pump pulley literally vibrated the alternator pulley loose! Both accessory belts were snapped! Thankfully the belt pieces flying around didn't take out a cam belt!

We're hoping the alternator is still good and its bushings not overly worn.

After contacting the Ebay seller he tries to blame it on the installer which is BS because he didn't install the pulley!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261088740787?item=261088740787&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Thankfully I heard the belt snap. If I hadn't my engine might have been cooked when the engine might have superheated without a functioning water pump while cruising down the freeway.

Even if the guy stood behind his pump, which he did not, the cost to replace a defective pump is several times higher than what he charges for his pumps.

I guess you really do get what you pay for on Ebay.

FERRARI F355 MODENA SPIDER COUPE REBUILT/EXCHANGE WATER PUMP 2-YEAR WARRANTY #261088740787
    To: acumen-sense

2. AVMotorsport

AVMotorsport Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex V
    Yes, be very careful with what you buy on eBay. I usually buy only non-critical items there, items that are not that huge of a value that I might lose sleep if it breaks or does not work. That said, I had found some really good deals on there that worked out fine.

Interesting that your tech had to drop the tank and shift rod to replace the fuel pump. I just completed a major on my car and my water pump was rebuilt. He used the rebuild kit bought from Ricambi I think, which is of the newer style that is supposed to work better but was more technique-sensitive to install properly. He had to remove and replace it 3 times to get it right (on the second try he had a local Ferrari dealer install the seals, and it still leaked), and while it was a huge PITA, he only had to lift the engine off its mounts, disconnect the coolant hoses, and move the engine back a couple inches or so to gain access to the pump. I didn't witness him do that, but he seemed svelt enough to squeeze into tight spaces ;-)

The car is perfect now and is running a great as ever. My 2c.

Cheers

3. FlyingAces

FlyingAces Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    LA 2 Vegas
    Full Name:
    Joejoe
    Wow what a mess sorry to hear about your experience.

4. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Yikes...what a horror story. Glad engine still intact. I'm not sure what to think as I got my 348 water pump from them (their shop is in my town..they specialize in Jaguars) and so far so good in 8 months of hard driving. I don't know if 348 pumps are easier, if I was just lucky, or you were very unlucky. It will be interesting to see if there is any other feedback on them.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sorry to hear mate, this is a major pain in the ass!! :(

Tech removed the fuel tank and shift rods to replace the water pump. ;)

**I am sure that is what you meant to post. :eek:**

***And the water pump can be replaced without dropping the fuel tank and shift rods***

The front pulley for the 348 water pump is pressed on.

The front pulley for the 355 water pump is a tapered shaft/fit with a locknut on the front.

I reckon the front pulley nut was not properly torqued or as mentioned, a non-OEM nut was used and it came loose.

I wouldn't be too concerned about your water pump mate, especially after 8 months of hard driving. :eek:

6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Terrible news....hopefully no major damage.

7. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Yes you are correct. As for driving your car for 8 months, my car was driven for about that long before that nut worked its way lose. The shop is a well-known shop in LA. (Their restored Dino just brought $360,000 at an auction in Monterey and I thought that sale was a bargain as the car was a nut and bolt back to original restoration.) The owner of the shop, before dropping the tank, discovered by reaching up and feeling the nut that it was not even the right size!

I would urge whoever has already installed one of these pumps to have the nut checked on their water pump. Trust me, it can fail many months after the installation and with potentially catastrophic results.

8. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Was the alternator rebuilt on the first go around?

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    General rule. I stay away from parts with reciprocating mass on ebay.

10. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Well put!

11. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Do you have a pic of this gas tank and shift shaft being removed?

12. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I will take pictures and post them.

The Ebay Seller just sent me a message. He says my mechanic should check the torque on the nut holding the pulley to the pump. Funny, I thought a remanufactured water pump was....remanufactured and ready to be installed. I never heard of such a thing....and I note his Ebay listing doesn't mention that the buyer should check his work!

13. mr.steve

mr.steve Guest

Apr 6, 2012
    Full Name:
    Ron S
    I had the exact same thing happen to me only last month on my 355. I bought a water pump from a company called Eurospares ( www.eurospares.co.uk). The front nut on the brand new water pump became loose within the week of the engine being put back in. The fuel tank was also removed to fix the problem.
    This is the first problem I have had with any parts from Eurospares, so I won't be advising any one not to buy from them. Though it was a royal pain in the bum at the time.

14. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    ****, he MUST be good!!! :D

That's a lame excuse man, it should have been 100% before it left his shop.

15. rockford

rockford Karting

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, tx
    Full Name:
    rockford woods
    #15 rockford, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
    I would not and have not ever presumed that any nuts on new or rebuilt parts are tightened correctly. Just common sense. Hard to believe an experienced mechanic would do so. Five minutes of DD would have prevented this issue. Time for a new mechanic.

16. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    My mechanic is truly one of the best in the business. He services multi-million dollar vintage Ferraris, does (literally) Pebble Beach restorations and is the go to guy for other mechanics.

I do not blame him at all. He is not an insurer that everyone else did their job right. He opened a box, saw a rebuilt water pump and installed it. I would never dream of holding my mechanic responsible for a rebuilder's incompetence.

17. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Was that a brand new unit or refurb?

18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #18 2NA, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Re-manufactured is meant to be "just like new". Without taking it apart and doing it over your guy did what we all in the business do from time to time, take people at their word. I've had my "learning curve" with the 355/360 water pump. It's a bit harder than it looks to get just "right".

I now have the right tooling.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That's a bit rough man, I would not have checked it either before installing it. :eek:

I have fit exchange parts on cars for the last 14 yrs. From water pumps, to starter motors to big dollar engines. I have not had or seen any failures because of poor workmanship.

This problem here was a simple case of leaving the nut loose/incorrect torque and/or the wrong nut being used. Kinda hard to believe this from someone with "40 yrs" in the business, but going on that fact I would trust his work without a doubt hoping he did a good job.

I know and understand what you're trying to say- this 355 water pump being a critical engine component and all, but if you start to second guess everyones workmanship other than your own.......................you're in deep trouble. :)

****I have an exchange/rebuilt p/steering pump to fit tomorrow morning to a 1991 Toyota Celica. NO WAY I will be double-checking the torque on the nut holding on the front pulley. :eek::eek:****

+1, I totally agree with you there mate.

The water pump rebuilder is a professional, you have to trust that he did a good job and I bet 99.99% of the time he does do good work.

We all know what happened here and it's a shame he is trying to put the blame on your mechanic for not checking the torque on that nut. :rolleyes:

Very good sir! :)

20. mr.steve

mr.steve Guest

Apr 6, 2012
    Full Name:
    Ron S
    That really makes no never mind because the company is Eurospares, who are an established exotic car spares supplyer.
    Though as it happens the pump was a brand new unit bought from them.

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The plot thickens.........:eek::eek:

22. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    They are a supplier. Not a manufacturer. My question was just to establish if it was a new or reconditioned unit. Thanks for answering though...

23. didimao0072000

didimao0072000 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    the joys of a rebuilt waterpump. i had mine leaked after it was installed by a highly recommended shop. the shop blamed the supplier, the supplier blamed the shop for an incorrect install. in the end i had to pay for two engine drops and a brand new pump. i will never buy a rebuilt waterpump again.

24. mr.steve

mr.steve Guest

Apr 6, 2012
    Full Name:
    Ron S
    I think you may be a little confused. At no time did I suggest Eurospares manufactured the water pump.
    And your welcome :)

25. mr.steve

mr.steve Guest

Apr 6, 2012
    Full Name:
    Ron S
    Hello PAP 348. If you are interested in my storys conclusion. My particular problem was in the keyway that is located under the pulley. When the pulley was removed it was discovered that the key way was bigger that the key that was located in it. Thus caused the centre hole in the middle of the pulley to become larger that standard due to the extra keyway movement. Causing the pulley to wobble and of course causing the nut to loosen.
    A new keyway was machined and a new pulley located.
    How the hell this happened during manurfactoring of a new pump, we will never know. I hope this may help someone one day.