Superformance Spark Plug wires | FerrariChat

Superformance Spark Plug wires

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tifosi2011, Sep 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifosi2011

Tifosi2011 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I own a 1985 308 QV. I search on Superformance online catalogue and noticed they don't have HT leads for my model year. But they do in fact have them in stock for years 1983-1984 US models.

So my question is, will 1984 cables work with my 1985 QV? Has anyone tried this themselves? Or will I be the first? Thanks for your input in advance.

2. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    At the risk of appearing flippant - have you asked them?

They are very helpful.

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Are there different variants on the QV? I can only see one set of parts on the TAV (which I think are the same ones used on the 328 as well).

WHen I replaced mine a year or so back you now get a cap to coil lead in the set with the four leads per bank so you don't need to buy those as seperate parts even though they are listed seperately (assuming Superformance are just selling OEM leads).

4. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    According to the email I just read from Superformance, they mentioned that it should work.
    Also, if it was not compatible that I would be able to return them.

My real concern is if whether the cables themselves have the proper ohm rating per foot. I've read many threads about this matter. According to the many threads, if the ohm rating is not in spec, I could be running into potential electrical problems because of the possible stress on the many critical components in the system. For example; coils, digiplex box(es), distributor, etc...

Do you think I`m justified with my concerns or am I just worrying about nothing

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    In North America we have a vendor for rebuilding your wire sets.

Dave Helms bought a bulk roll of the last of the cable...

6. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John

I`m still waiting for his email response. I realize that this Ferrari Guru is most likely super busy. So all I can do is wait. But while I do, I`m trying to clean as many of the contacts throughout the vehicle. As well as all the ground points, three postion sensors, etc...

Would you happen to know what else I could analyze or repair that`s not super difficult or mind boggling

I cant seem to put a question mark to any of my questions. Can someone tell me what I`ve done to my computer to remedy this. Gosh, it`s so frustrating

7. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Did you try to reboot? If that didn't help you need a new keyboard. Try another keyboard first.

8. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Robert. Sometimes the easiest remedy is simply to reboot. I just wish we had a reboot button for our cars. But since you`re here, do you have any helpful tips that I could try on my 308 QV to remedy my slight miss in the RPM range at 2,400

It disappears very quickly when I go beyond 2,400 RPM. And regardless of engine temperature, the miss is present. But only at 2,400 RPM

9. rockford

rockford Karting

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, tx
    Full Name:
    rockford woods
    Yes, you are worrying about nothing. The Superformance wires are fine, Taylor 73251 are fine, Dave Helms rebuilds are fine, Magnacores are fine.

10. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you Mr. Woods

Hopefully I`ll be able to sleep well

11. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #11 Crowndog, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    I to had to work through a stumble or two in my car at certain rpm's. We:

1) changed wires
    2)changed extenders
    3)changed plugs
    4)found oil in one distributor cap (replaced seals)
    5)discovered previous owner bypassed saftey relay and the freq. valve was not buzzing
    so that was corrected.
    6) mixture adjustment reset with gas analyzer
    7) throttle microswitch replaced

= smoothest running car I have driven in a long time.
    oh and I started using Techron again with half tank of gas to increase the concentration. It seems to help.

p.s. sometimes the miss is still there just not as noticable as things get exciting and loud.

12. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I`ve just looked at your list. I recently replaced my extenders, plugs, my freq. valve buzzes, found no oil in my distributors. The only thing left to do is change out my plug wires. But before I do I`m going to do the dark garage test run to see if there is an electrical storm in the engine bay. Also, before I fire it up this evening, I`m going to check the resistance rating in the individual plug wires. Would you happen to know what the approx numbers should be

Thanks to everyone for their time

13. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I did as Big Tex suggested and sent my plug wires to Dave Helms to be rebuilt after being sent garbage from two different suppliers, Good as new, tested, and cost me less than the aftermarket product I recieved. EDIT Superformance was not one of the suppliers.

14. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    the p.s. was in refrence to your car. If it misses at 2400 I would expect it to miss elsewhere. Good luck running down your little gremlin.

15. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree with the P.S. reference. I just returned from a quick rip in the Ferrari, and unfortunately the miss is still there. I cleaned everything that I could see. I checked the battery voltage as well. I even went to the degree of removing all battery connections when I measured the battery before starting. It measured 12.4. While the engine was warming up, I measured the battery with all the connections obviously back on, and it measured 14.4 volts

I also turned off all the lights in my garage and did not see an electrical storm in the engine bay.

I checked and cleaned the 3 crank sensors, checked the throttle plate for any debris or stickiness, and a full tank of Chevron 94 octane.

My next logical, and easy, step is replacing my plug extenders...again. I checked them all individually and noticed no burn marks or cracks. They are in fact only 3 months old.

If this does not remedy my gremlin, I'll go to the extent of replacing my spark plug wires with a new set. They happen to be the only thing I haven't replaced yet. Oh, that includes my ignition coils.

Where's that reset button again?

16. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #16 Crowndog, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    I test drove a new Alfa on a test ride many years ago and the damn car just died. I popped the hood and there was a big red button on the firewall. I pushed it and the damn thing started right up. It was a reset button. What it reset I have no clue to this day. The other way remote possibility really remote is an alpha particle strike taking out a piece of the timing map in memory in the ECU:

"There are two types of soft errors:
    chip-level soft error:
    These errors occur when the radioactive atoms in the chip's material decay and release alpha particles into the chip.
    Because an alpha particle contains a positive charge and kinetic energy, the particle can hit a memory cell and cause the cell to change state to a different value. The atomic reaction is so tiny that it does not damage the actual structure of the chip. Chip-level errors are rare because modern memory is so stable that it would take a typical computer with a large memory capacity at least 10 years before the radioactive elements of the chip's materials begin to decay.
    system-level soft error:
    These errors occur when the data being processed is hit with a noise phenomenon, typically when the data is on a data bus. The computer tries to interpret the noise as a data bit, which can cause errors in addressing or processing program code. The bad data bit can even be saved in memory and cause problems at a later time."

Our cars are way older then 10 years. Scary huh.

17. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    It can be a fuel problem. A stumble not only come from ignition. Sometime the fuel system is the culprit and it feel very similar.

18. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    OR.... you can pick up the phone and call when you need an answer. With an average of 132 emails / day, and my real job is Fixing cars... sometimes that is a better solution.

19. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I like you style Mr. Helms. Since yesterday for me was super busy, I didn't even consider calling. But I certainly will call if and when I truly realize that my car needs a new set of plug wires. So please ignore my email that I had sent you. I hope I haven't embarrassed myself off of this forum

20. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Heck no, your fine. You just happened to send an email on one of our Holidays

21. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Find a question mark on any forum...... Copy it, and then paste it into word or similar and then copy/paste when you need to use it but for $20 I'd buy another keyboard.

Cheers,

Bob.

PS: here are a few for you... ???????????

22. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    That is certainly thinking outside of the box. I love it. You're awesome! But my keyboard is just fine. All I did was restart my computer.