Battery level on my 308 | FerrariChat

Battery level on my 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tifosi2011, Sep 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifosi2011

Tifosi2011 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I put a multi-metre device to my battery. Even after I unplugged my trickle charger, the measurement was 11.76 volts. I`ve always disconnected the ground terminal to the chassis after every drive (long or short), so here is the stupid question...Is this reading on the low side. I`m trying every angle chasing down a slight miss in the RPM range at 2,400.

I`ve cleaned everything, even all ground points throughout the chassis.

The battery in question is an Interstate MT-34

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sounds a bit low to me. Do you get this reading after disconnecting the ground?

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    It is a low reading. A fully charged battery is 12.6 volts. At 12.4 it is 75% wich is an acceptable usable battery. 12.0 volt is 25%. If your charger is full time on, your battery may have slowly evaporates the water and the electrolyte is below the plates and she is sulfated.

4. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, this is with the red quick disconnect uhm..disconnected in behind the front driver side
    headlight.

5. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Too low for sure. The rule of the thumb as my old physics prof used to say.

These are general voltage ranges for six-cell lead-acid batteries:
    Open-circuit (quiescent) at full charge: 12.6 V (2.1V per cell)
    Open-circuit at full discharge: 11.7 V ***YOUR TEST VOLTAGE IS HERE ***
    Loaded at full discharge: 10.5 V.
    Continuous-preservation (float) charging: 13.4 V for gelled electrolyte; 13.5 V for AGM (absorbed glass mat) and 13.9 V for flooded cells
    1.All voltages are at 20 °C (68 °F), and must be adjusted −0.0235V/°C for temperature changes.
    2.Float voltage recommendations vary, according to the manufacturer's recommendation.
    3.Precise float voltage (±0.05 V) is critical to longevity; insufficient voltage (causes sulfation) is almost as detrimental as excessive voltage (causing corrosion and electrolyte loss)
    Typical (daily) charging: 14.2 V to 14.4 V (depending on temperature and manufacturer's recommendation)
    Equalization charging (for flooded lead acids): 15 V for no more than 2.205 hours. Battery temperature must be absolutely monitored.
    Gassing threshold: 14.4 V

6. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I went ahead and disconnected the terminals from the battery. The battery alone measured 12.4 bolts. I reinstalled the + and - leads and measured it again. It read 11.74 volts. After restarting the car, I measured it again after it's warmup period and the voltage read 14.4

So I gather that this battery is in tip top shape. (Interstate MT-34)

Just placed a massive order for parts. (New coils, HT leads, etc...)

Whomever gets to own this Ferrari in the future is going to be one lucky person. Hopefully my son appreciates it. Although it is for sale locally.

7. rockford

rockford Karting

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, tx
    Full Name:
    rockford woods
    How did you manage to start the car with a discharged battery? The 14 volts is alternator voltage not battery voltage. If you just disconnected the cable and got 12.4 volts versus 11.7 with the cable connected then your car is drawing 15 amps or so while turned off or your battery is toast.

8. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not understanding what you mean about a discharged battery?

My battery voltage when the battery is not connected to the vehicle at all was 12.4 volts.
    The battery voltage with the + and - leads are connected before startup was 11.7 volts.
    With the car running, the voltage read 14.4 volts. I realize that this is the alternator's output, but I'm not understanding what you mean about a discharged battery?

I don't mean to sound stupid, but am I ruining my car with this battery in it's current state?
    Please be kind in your response(s)

I have had no problem with starting my car in the past.

9. AZ308GTS

AZ308GTS Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    Phoenix,AZ
    Are you taking the measurement directly on the battery or at a convenient location somewhere else on the car?

10. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    The measurements were all taken at the battery.

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I think your battery has nothing to do with the 'slight miss,' You're overlooking the obvious!

Have you checked ignition wires and spark plug extenders? Also, might find bad connections in the Digiplexs'.

12. rockford

rockford Karting

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, tx
    Full Name:
    rockford woods
    11.7 volts = fully discharged or a relatively heavy load on a partially charged battery while you are checking the voltage. 12.4 volts with no load =1/2 charged (approximately). If the car is easy to start with those voltages I would suspect your voltmeter. No 12volt lead/acid automobile battery will start a car with 11.7 volts across the terminals prior to starting. You can always take the battery to an auto parts store and have them test it under load.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    He said his battery has 12.4 volt with nothing connected to it. It's 75% charged and usable. Then whem connected it drops, telling something is using power. To make sure nothing is using power from your battery while at rest you should measure the current draw. Make sure everything is OFF. unplug your negative post. Plug a ampmeter in serie between the battery post and the cable. The reading shouldn't be more than 35 miliamps on most older cars. Try it on the higher scale first in case you have a high current flow then move to a lower scale. As per what you described I suspect you'll have a fairly high reading. To find the circuit that is using the power you then unplug one fuse at a time to find the faulty circuit. It can also be a blown diode in the alternator.

14. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Good advice, Claude

I'd be interested to know the current draw on our cars (without alarms and any car radio draw). It should be just the clock if I'm not mistaken.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The 35 miliamps usually include the clock, radio, ecu memory, etc. A very old car would have zero current draw. Wait until the reading is steady, giving time for the capacitors to get charged.

16. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Does a 308 from ~1980 really have something as advanced as ECU persistent memory?!

17. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #17 andyww, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
    The problem is, most cheap multimeters only have current ranges which go up to 250ma or so. So this means unless you have one with a high current range, if there is a problem causing a large current drain it will immediately burn out the meter.
    If you suspect there is a large current draw it better to isolate the problem by measuring the voltage and pull fuses until the battery voltage goes up to the disconnected voltage.

In fact the clock alone, which should be the only load, draws around 300ma which will overload many meters.

18. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #18 Crowndog, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One quick and dirty way to see if you have parasitic draw on the battery is to wire up a small bulb in series with the battery. If it glows then you have draw. If it glows bright you may have a short somewhere! It is not a quantitative test but a way to protect against blowing a meter. Also, using this with the fuse pulling method mentioned above works as well. In my terrible drawing you can see I use the connector to splice in the bulb so you do not need to disconnect the battery terminals. Key out of switch. If you turn the key you will blow the bulb like a fuse.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's usually the clock, that runs it down if car is not in use.

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The meter I use has a 20A range. But you can also use a clamp meter. Just make sure it is for DC as most are for AC.

Crowndog, the light is a good trick. I use this tool I made to plug in serie in the fuse port to find intermitent short to ground. I wiggle the wires and look at the lamp. very easy to see.

21. Sean308

Sean308 Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2011
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have the trickle charger on mine plus leave the red disconnect Connected, so that way I feel I have a bit of current coming in and a bit going out, all things equal. So far it works well for me.