Where will Lewis be next year?..... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Where will Lewis be next year?.....

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, Sep 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Where will Lewis be racing next season?

1. Mclaren

2. Mercedes

3. Other

4. He'll be out of F1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    In 2014, the manufacturer teams will build engines to suit their car first and foremost. A works team will be the place to be come 2014. I don't see Lewis goig anywhere next year after watching today. 2014 though is a differet story.

2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think Fuller's agency wants to position him in a Tiger Woods-like way. I don't think it's possible for a race car driver primarily because you can't separate man from machine. Guys like Woods and Jordan relied on their physical abilities to be great at something any of us can be okay at. An infinitesimally small number of humans can drive an F1 car, so that's an issue there.

The only way to become a " brand" as a driver is to win a crapload of championships. Short of marrying Kim Kardashian, there is no other short cut for him. I do think he has a certain amount of reach in terms of his popularity, but it seems like Fuller is trying to " out-kick the coverage" here.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

4. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Something is clearly wrong between Mclaren and Hamilton, and he is obviously looking around.

The problem being that there is nowhere to go, and even if the Mercedes rumor is real I have a really hard time believing the numbers (75M€ - 3 years contract)

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    If the rumor is $25M per year McLaren should call his bluff and offer $5M per year.

6. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    If I was McLaren, and if I had another driver like Nico lined up, I'd just drop Hamilton. I don't rate Nico nearly as high as Hamilton, and I think he's a whiner, but with a good car I believe Nico would be a consistent winner. Plus, he doesn't seem to throw the team under the bus with Tweets when he's unhappy. Hamilton just seems to come along with too much baggage these days.

Mark

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Well Nicole does make him carry her purse, does that count?

This is getting too easy!

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Mercedes has stated that they intend to continue.

We're this decision made on a rational basis he'd stay.

This situation is anything but rational so any prediction would be a wild guess.

9. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    The whole "brand" thing is really funny to me. Tiger and Jordan are brands for the simple reason that you can actually see them doing their craft. Not so with a guy in a car, wearing a helmet and shot with a long lens. Its silly. Its self flattery and vein. The Mclaren machine needs to pull another young driver from their baby mill and this time work on personal ego skills as well as driving skills. He is a great driver, but one championship since 2007 isnt "I need to develop my brand" good.

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While I agree that driver branding can hurt a team it does make economic sense for any athletic superstar to do so.

11. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    This suggests he's better than Button (not certain you meant that). I don't think Nico is as good as Jenson....lacks the consistency and tends to back down when challenged.

12. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Coulthard seems to be intimating that the better decision would be to align with a works team (with the upcoming changes). It's not simply a case of McLaren being the better fit because he can win there.

Interesting...the Schu/Hamilton match up may become a reality. McLaren can certainly do worse than Nico as a replacement, but I don't think it's close to a 1:1 exchange.

I think those hoping Hamilton would 'go away' and McLaren pull 'any young driver to win a championship may get their wish.

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    And other than the young gun everyone would lose.

Going back to the branding, I notice that the Heuer print ads featuring both Lewis and Jensen have them in driver suits but without McLaren logos. Mercedes yes, but not Macca.

14. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    No, I definitely did not mean to say Nico would be quicker than Button, but I don't think its out of the question on certain occasions. Rather, I think Button is more than capable of leading the team with Nico in the support role. He's proven time and time again he's very capable beyond what he was given credit for prior to Hamilton joining the team.

Mark

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    He just better make certain Mercedes is up to the challenge and can give him a good car. Otherwise, he may go down in history as the next Jacques Villeneuve (what a disaster he was).

Nothing develops a brand like winning championships (for a driver, at least). As I stated earlier, when all is said and done in F1, it's Ferrari and McLaren that stand out as the key teams.

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Most, if not all, of the merchandise that Macca sells features a drivers name. Seems they understand the value of the appeal of the individual.

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    To be fair, Mercedes is much more established/bankrolled than BAR was when Jacques went there. Plus BAR didn't have Ross Brawn and this nice technical team of Costa, Bell, etc. Lewis is also a MUCH better driver than Villeneuve ever was.

Lewis could do well at Mercedes. Aligning with a factory team right before the engine change could prove to be a smart move.

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Jenson has suffered from a lack of consistency this year, too...

19. 4re4lem

4re4lem Karting

Nov 3, 2003

I would not be surprised at all if Lewis went to Ferrari to be the #2. He played to the Tifosi on Sunday..... JMHO

20. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    All true...plus being side-by-side with Schumacher could have a real calming effect.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

While we've been debating all of this, note that McLaren has won FOUR of the last seven races. Lewis has won three of those. This thing is not necessarily safe...while Alonso did increase his lead over Vettel (who, ironically, has only won at Bahrain this season), Hamilton reduced his gap to the lead.

This thing is going to come down to the wire again...

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hmmm.... Interesting.....

Ignoring the 3 "he'll be out of F1" votes which I assume are some kind of (misplaced?) jokes, I'm intrigued that 1 in 10 believes he'll be somewhere else entirely - Ferrari?

Anyway, thanks for voting - We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Cheers,
    Ian

22. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I hope so..:)

And I hope for once it is done naturally, years of manipulation from that tosser Mosley nearly finished me off watching F1.

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I like the converse better. Having Lewis in the house might light a bigger fire under Schmi.

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Do you honestly think Michael is lacking in motivation (fire as you put it)?

25. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    There's always room for more.
    That's why there is an eleven setting on amps.
    ;)