550 values | FerrariChat

550 values

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bahaba0, Sep 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bahaba0

Bahaba0 Karting

Feb 4, 2010
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    David Stone
    What is the true value of a 2000 550 with 14000 miles azure blue with a blue interior. No shields, stock whhels, good records, original clutch, good ppi. Thanks.

2. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
  3. markbnj

markbnj Karting

Feb 25, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Include the price of a new clutch in your negotiations. I replaced mine at 20k. It was expensive.

4. chrismic

chrismic Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2012
    Mark, may I ask how much your clutch replacement was? Thanks, Chris

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Not if you know what you are doing. I can be super cheapo and resurface an oem disc for $50 bucks if the PP and FW are in good shape. One reason I like organic plates is that they don't destroy PP and Fw like kevlar/carbon will for marginal performance increases. The 550 torque tube and gearbox is easy like taking out the same in a corvette C5/C6. There is nothing too it.

6. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    There's no reason why a clutch in these cars will NEED to be replaced at 20K. It should be looked at as part of the PPI and that info taken into account. But a blanket statement "factor in replacing the clutch" because the car has 20K on it, is too broad a stroke to be useful in all cases.

7. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    +1

I'm sure the PPI would have brought that up if it was an issue.

cheers,

Bill

8. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    +1. 550 Clutch replacement is not expensive (relatively speaking) and under normal wear and tear you don't need a new clutch at 20K miles. I know three 550 owners with almost 50K miles and they are all still on the original clutch.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Make that 4 . I'm over 50

10. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    that's all sounds great...

but the clutch on my 993 turbo was still original when i swapped out the engine at 245K miles

you guys got a ways to go...:)

11. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Mine was replaced at 14K when I bought the car. Two previous owners and lots of stop & go driving probably was the cause for its early demise.

It's now a triple disc metallic lined performance clutch with a lightened flywheel. It's noisy, and a bit of an on/off switch, so it's certainly not for everyone. Cost was $4500 (with a new Hill release bearing), including labor two years ago. Had it been the OEM organic clutch the cost would have been around half to 3/4 that.

12. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    #12 lilviv, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    For what it's worth, I found the following receipts for clutch work on my 550:

http://personal.lilviv.com/images/stories/user_added/motoring/550maranello/service/20091002_clutchpump_lightgaskets_trim.pdf - At 21,310 miles, a clutch pump (among other things - so hard to isolate actual labor cost here).

http://personal.lilviv.com/images/stories/user_added/motoring/550maranello/service/20100629_clutchreplacement.pdf - Full Clutch Replacement at 22,900 miles - heavily discounted 'cause the new owner had bought the car just a couple days prior. Looks like this particular shop would've charged $4,300 or thereabouts for the clutch job in mid-2010.

Just throwing out a couple more data points, in case it might help. :)

Actually, since this is a thread about 550 values and what service/repairs could cost. http://personal.lilviv.com/images/stories/user_added/motoring/550maranello/service/ - Here is a link to my experience so far, spreadsheet at the bottom. Hope this helps some folks!