The Jalopnik flame thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The Jalopnik flame thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheMayor, Sep 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  2. didimao0072000

didimao0072000 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    #102 didimao0072000, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

4. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
  5. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Haha.

Jalopnik must be loving all the free press they are getting from this useless thread.

6. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    But isn't that "Counter Productive" to what bob wants to accomplish?!....Fanning the flames to a fire he wants to extinguish....metaphorically speaking....Mark

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually, this is my intent. When people see what jerks and trolls hang out there, attitudes will change.

You can be a jerk (not you of course) and criticize me for speaking out. Or you can be an adult and understand that making fun of Fchat members in times of tragedy is not fun and uncalled for.

This thread is not useless. There's a lot who have sent me words of encouragement. I thank them for that.

Some of you want to make this personal. I'd like to think you can look deeper than that for the sake of others who are abused simply for crashing their car.

I would like to think if someone here said they had crashed their car and was injured, that people would not say "good for you you jerk. You deserved it". I think most here would be outraged.

I would also like to think that if you posted this here and it was picked up on Jalopnik and posters there said the same things there, we would be equally outraged

Well, that's what happened here. The same photos and information where posted on Fchat 30 minutes or more before Jalopnik.

We can sit around and take cheap shots at one another, or we can say this is wrong

You get to choose.

8. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Wasn't it determined that the 458 crash in question was due to driver error, and the driver walked away?
    If so, none of the Jalopnik comments you posted on the first page of this thread are even out of line.

Bob you've got a 458 and a gorgeous girlfriend, WTF are you doing posting crap like this. Go drive something!

9. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Jalopnik is notorious for posting lies and half-truths. Their stupid '$500 BMW World Rally Car' story wasn't even competing in a WRC race. Then Jalopnik tried bullying the sanctioning body to get their same non-worthy friend into Xgames.

Same sensationalism National Enquirer garbage you read above the gum and breath mints at the grocery store checkout. Will never visit their website.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Because I don't feel this is crap. If you do, then just ignore it. What skin is it off your nose?

You either feel this is wrong or you don't. Some of us do.

It doesn't matter who was at fault in the crash. It doesn't matter if the person walked away because at the time, as far as anyone knew, there were deaths involved. Yet, the comments still came up and continued to come up.

If it were you, I wouldn't like it. If it were Jim, I'm sure you wouldn't like it.

What difference is it if its not your or Jim?

11. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    For a second I thought this was Ferrari Chat, not a personal forum for members to come here and vent about the things they find online that upsets/bothers them.

I also have not read 1 member from Ferrari Chat making fun of the person who got in the accident? Or am I missing something?

Basically if all members here start using Ferrari Chat for posting personal things they hate about the internet,this forum will go down hill quick. Further more getting upset and bothered at other members for suggestion the thread is pointless is just as pointless as the comments made on Jalopnik. Since when do two wrongs make a right?

Since this thread seems kind of pointless to Ferrari chat, I have something on my chest I want to get out, it has bothered me for years thinking about this but here I go...

for years I have been thinking if my aunt had nuts she would be my uncle.

12. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #112 merstheman, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    For those of you interested in the effect of internet news "aggregator" websites (which is basically the modus operandi of the entire Gawker news network), and their effect on the mainstream news media (which has its problems, too), I HIGHLY recommend watching:

A) The incredibly good documentary "Page One: Inside the New York Times" (Gawker news is treated with a good amount of time)

Trailer:http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/pageoneinsidethenewyorktimes/
    iTunes Link: http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/movie-rentals/page-one-inside-the-new-york-times/

and

B) The following debate: http://vimeo.com/7476781

Trust me, these are essential views if you want to begin to understand today's mainstream and "specialty" media outlets, and the complicated synergistic relationship they have (Where the aggregators tend to take from the mainstream media more than they give back)

Jim, I'm not sure if you've watched the movie, or the debate, but I think it might make you a little more hesitant in treating Jalopnik as journalism (at least that which is equal to proper investigative journalism) after you watch. Then again perhaps not.

What I believe is that while the Gawker news network in its entirety - but more specifically Jalopnik - is taking small steps toward becoming credible news sources, and where their writers are quickly becoming more what would be considered "proper" investigative or reporting journalists, they are still a long way off. Gawker is still first and foremost an ENTERTAINMENT portal, and thus it encourages its stories to be as such. I think there will be a time where they will have to choose between reporting and entertaining. Right now it's 70/30, perhaps more, weighing towards entertainment. Who knows when it will change. Until then I advise taking Jalopnik and other Gawker sites' reporting with a big ass grain of salt. Particularly those stories that stem from user's comments.

By the way, I've also noticed that they constantly fish stories out of Ferrari Chat and do not always give the forum credit. Though that may seem unfair, remember most of the times they are only reporting on something that is - to a less journalistic extent - being reported here first. Their responsibility as journalists (if they were fully fledged ones, which I believe they are NOT) would be to cite secondary sources, or primary ones. That would mean if they took information from a post from here that did not feature a link to another news story - in other words, a post whose argument/idea/story came first hand from the original poster - then it is theoretically their duty to disclose where they got their information from, so the reader can determine the source's trustworthiness.

Posts on here that simply feature links with commentary - basically "early bird" news reporting - do not necessitate a citation, really. News aggregator websites rarely tend "forget" citing this kind of terciary source for their benefit. If they are decent enough they will cite the fact that they saw it first here. Or perhaps if they have something to gain out of it... Fostering a source/media relationship with Mr. Glickenhaus, for instance, which could guarantee further original posts and, importantly, more comments, subscribers and shares. Let me also say I mean this with respect, only as a practical example, and not in order to offend or assume anything about anyone.

Comments, subscribers and shares are what news aggregator sites are all about. Jalopnik's witty little one-paragraph stories linking to an article in the NY Times, or Ferrari Chat, or some Russian local TV station's YouTube channel are faster and easier to read, and therefore more people tend to click on and share them. That means money for Gawker media. It's that simple. It's difficult to take Jalopnik seriously especially because of that. Sometimes they have some really interesting features, long ones, with proper journalism. Believe it or not some of them are even INTERESTING and even flattering to Ferrari owners and drivers: http://jalopnik.com/5933077/we-solved-the-mystery-of-how-a-ferrari-ended-up-buried-in-someones-yard I actually enjoy reading and commenting on that site, but I treat it as entertainment, particularly because I have this understanding of what Gawker as a business is trying to achieve, and more importantly, what it isn't. It's nice to see Jalopnik getting a little more serious, but if you ask me, they will never pass the 60/40 barrier when it comes to entertainment vs. real journalism. The entertainment bit - what some here are calling TMZ or National Enquirer-like - is what gives them the most clicks. Therefore it's what gives them the most $$. Why would they change it? Why should they? If anyone wants to read real car news online, I recommend paying for the NY Times autoblog, or even checking out Wired Magazine's Autopia blog. These are just some of many sites out there.

As far as commenters on Jalopnik go: You cannot seriously think that they would ever stop letting people from commenting on a story when so much of their content is based on comments. If you don't like it, don't read it. If I had to comment on all the distasteful things I've read online I'd do nothing else for 10000 lifetimes. Just learn to ignore, and more importantly, not to feed the trolls.

Apologies for the long post.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    RDI

You've convinced me that this is not a community of owners/enthusiasts who use it as a support group for one another.

No, its petty and worthless.

It's clear that instead of discussing something, all we can do is tear each other apart and point fingers. We excuse internet trolls for making fun of tragedy. For what reason? To make ourselves look small and immature.

It's clear to me now that what's more important about coming to Fchat to take snipes at one another than look at the bigger picture and support people who have done nothing wrong but crash their car and been ridiculed for it.

Fchat could be something really important. Instead, it's a waste. You've proven just how much of a waste it is.

Thank you.

14. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Bob aka the mayor or whatever, come on man the world is full of rotten things and outrages happening to people on a daily basis, tragic events, killings and horrible things going on every single second of every single day, instead of playing Superman and being that upset over some Ferrari car crash, remember the saying "a time and place for everything" I just feel tons of OTHER members think this thread is kind of silly and pointless. I'm not trying to offend you or upset you but this if Ferrari chat bro, who cares what some useless people post on another forum about a crash, I am not losing sleep over it and I think neither should you.

I personally (like many others here) don't think a thread needs to be started because BOB found a comment on another site that BOB did not like. Who cares, lets talk about sick Ferrari cars and the joys it brings to owners.

In closing before you blow a gasket, none of my comments are meant to upset or offend you. SO chill and go drive your 458 and report back how much joy it brings you and don't let the little things in life bother you.

15. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    RDI, you don't know Bob and your conclusion is juvenile and wrong. You clearly missed the obvious point.

Kai

16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I totally LOL !

17. Red Head Seeker

BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #117 Red Head Seeker, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    WOW!!..talk about "Sensationalism" & "Appeasement". It's simply a matter of media censorship, of which I am NOT a proponent. ALL media survives or flounders on it's perceived merits. I read ALL the time on the front page of the Enquirer, whilst I'm waiting in the grocery line that..."Elvis had an Alien baby"....do I believe it?!...NO!!....Do I buy the Enquirer?!...NO!!.....Does the Enquirer still sell papers?!....YES!!!.....thatt is the foundation of a "Free Market" & "Free Speech"....Let the people decide....NOT "1" person (bob) who seemingly wants to represent "WE" as a singular voice of F.C.....Mark

18. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Kai I never claimed or suggested I know Bob?? you JUMPING TO CONCLUSION is JUVENILE AND WRONG. My comments are clearly posted based on what I have read in this thread. No where did I make any other claim. You clearly missed the obvious point.

Practice what you preach.

19. Red Head Seeker

BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    +++++!!.......Mark

20. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    Boy, some people are really thin skinned. Surfing the net the most outrageous thing you come across is some juveniles making fun of Ferrari owners? Oh the horror!

I read the news on the NBC website. Take a look at the ignorant racist, anti-Semetic and frequently anti-American comments from their readers. If these get to you then you have the option of voting with your feet and taking your business elsewhere. You have the option of responding to these comments and expressing your POV. What you don't have is the option of censoring someone else's opinion no matter how ignorant and tasteless you think it is.

Let's put this in perspective: someone making fun of Ferrari owners (or even the accidents they get into) is small potatoes compared to the hate, envy and ignorance that comprises the internet as a whole.

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yummy yummy hot and buttered popcorn !

22. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
  23. Red Head Seeker

BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    HEY babyboo!!!.....as I like to say....."Some people are more thin-skinned than a defective Chinese condom".....Censorship in ANY form is a slippery slope, I venture is best left untested, as it appears to myself to be the "Ultimate Pandora's Box"......Mark

24. Red Head Seeker

BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
  25. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name: