The Jalopnik flame thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The Jalopnik flame thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheMayor, Sep 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm enjoying a NICE Champagne Cocktail laced with Cointreau.....Mark

2. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Vodka and lemonade for me....

3. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    HEY Ryan; Next time freeze the lemonaide into ice cubes....then a few frozen lemonaide ice cubes with the Vodka from the FREEZER!!!....that's a "Cool" cocktail!!.....Mark

4. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Content aside, the website in question is despicable for its thoroughly awful design.
    The motive for and punishment of that level of ergonomic and aesthetic crime are the same, and it is no surprise to find certain accompanying journalistic stratagem.

5. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    First world problems make me sad. :(

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Japolnik is a LOT more than an aggregator like frankly The New Your Times has become. The NY Times does a lot less original reporting than it used to do and it's business section is replete with day old stories reprinted verbatim from Bloomberg business news.

Jalopnik does a lot of original reporting and some of it is very good. The piece on The LI Lambo Lawyer and Concubine was fantastic and the Editor of Jalopnik was at The 24 Hours of Nurburgring and was the first news source to correctly report that P 4/5 Competizione had set the all time record for a Ferrari Powered car 6:51 at The Ring, an original story that was picked up by hundreds of News outlets from Jalopnik's original reporting. I agree that it's sad that the New York Times relies less and less on original reporting but for them to throw stones in this matter is very hypocritical as a lot of their "reporting" is very stale reprinting of others work and in the case of Bloomberg without proper crediting (note how many of their business section articles have no credited author) which I find very unethical even if Bloomberg allows them for money to do it.

The idea that ranting about comments on Jalopnik that ones doesn't like, on Ferrari Chat, is going to have ANY effect on Jalopnik other than driving page views to Jalopnik remains delusional.

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There are different points of view, I suppose, but ultimately I agree with your last statement.

I do not agree, however that Jalopnik's got more journalistic content than the Times, not by a long shot. But in any case I used the NY Times as one example, but if you prefer Bloomberg, that's fine too. Not sure if Jalopnik "reports" on Bloomberg's reporting, but Gawker definitely does. Like I said, it's a synergistic news world today.

I still think if people were more informed about our media landscape they would understand better why Jalopnik is what it is.

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    RE the NYT

The NY Times has a deal with Bloomberg Business news to reprint Bloomberg Business news stories verbatim and not attribute them to Bloomberg News. These stories often appear a day later than they appear in Bloomberg and by not attributing them to Bloomberg the NYT misleads people into believing that these articles are the result of NYT reporters which they are not.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ahh! :D you do have the marketing machine figured out, I could learn a little more.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As our Sponsorship dollar to Team Expenditure ration is still low I still have a lot to learn...

:)

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jim, as far as I know the deal with Bloomberg was struck as far back as 1991, when the Times acquired it's first Bloomberg terminal.

It was a way for Bloomberg to legitimize itself as a proper news source when it was just starting out. Of course the internet and time have complicated things for the Times, as now Bloomberg really is a legitimate source, and they have their own media vehicles and outlets. The Times is still the world's most respected Newspaper, though, even after all the plagiarism and false reporting scandals in the past decade. These days Bloomberg is a very valuable company, and in better shape than the NYT Co, that's for sure, but the Times still has it beat in importance.

More importantly, however, is the fact that because of this arrangement Bloomberg's reporters are, or at least were, partly paid by the New York Times Co. And I would bet that knowing their stories would appear in the Times has been a major motivation for their continued work. Personally I do not believe that arrangement is unethical (nor do I believe Gawker's business methods are unethical) but opinions on ethics will forever differ. What is more obvious, though, is how one hand washes the other in the Bloomberg/Times case, and not so much in the Gawker media case.

Further complicating things is the fact we are talking about a "specialty" website, and all that entails, which is again why I stress that my use of the Times was more of a general example in media vs. "new" media than one in specifics. I think it's an important question to make: Does Jalopnik break more car news today than anyone else? And by that I mean to say "Is Jalopnik the first to report on the most important car news today?" I haven't researched enough, but I would bet against it. Perhaps $100 but not $1000. As far as I know Jalopnik does not employ spy photographers, for instance, nor do they have a team of reporters that is equivalent to magazines such as the UK's Car magazine. Instead their online model allows them to thrive on "leads" brought in from staff and commenters (which is singularly an online practice, and one that has questionable efficiency) so they can churn out quick updates through the day. How many posts does Jalopnik put up daily? 15, 20? How many of these are breaking news stories? How many of them are summarized stories sourced elsewhere? How many of them are lists/COTD/QOTD type articles? What makes up the majority of Jalopnik posts? Original reporting? Hardly.

While you have people who take a month and a half to break a story, Jalopnik will take that story once it's broken, summarize it in a paragraph or two (severely devaluing the practice of good journalistic writing, by the way, which sort of explains why talented writers like Chris Harris need to find a different media to express themselves in) and most times get many more views. It doesn't matter if they link to the full story, the discussion will happen inside Jalopnik, and that's where the advertisers will be. Then people buy less magazines, or subscribe to less newspapers or websites.

Of course in the end the readers sort of win, particularly those looking for a casual car news fix. I'm one of them, I admit. But it doesn't stop me from subscribing to Motorsport Magazine, for instance, because I still highly value the quality, researched and - crucially - well written pieces by legends such as Nigel Roebuck, Doug Nye, Rob Widdows, Simon Taylor, Gordon Kirby and even Andrew Frankel, who tires me sometimes but whose opinions on new cars are a lot of times entertaining and informative to this 23 year old who is a long ways from driving most of them.

I will continue to hope that Jalopnik will keep going with the great news stories it has occasionally put out, and to hope that they will become the next place to look for great writers in the automotive world. Jalopnik's model seems to be the future for journalism, for better or worse, and it also seems to be part of the salvation of the mainstream news media, for better or worse. But the average number of daily Jalopnik posts is still too tilted toward levity, repost reporting and entertainment for me to take them seriously as a news source.

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I still think the NYT's reprinting Bloomberg reporters articles a day after they appear in Bloomberg and not attributing them to Blooomberg is wrong as it leads readers to falsely assume that the articles are written by NYT reporters which they are not.

13. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That was Awesome!

Some of you guy really drink way way too much Rosso Corso Koolaid. It is just a car! Drive it, Track it, cruise in it, heck wash it/wax it but to get on a website complaining about Jalopnik's articles is pathetic beyond belief. Truly makes me LOL!

14. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah, sometimes the most embarassing thing about owning a Ferrari is the "Koolaid drunk" Ferrari owners- and being associated with them.

15. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Just a random thought while scrolling around Jalopnik today: do a search on McLaren (on Jalopnik) and then search Ferrari. Not that they have any bias either way......

16. magnus89

magnus89 Rookie

Nov 15, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Here's another terrific piece from today.

http://jalopnik.com/5946381/whats-the-telltale-sign-of-a-good-driver

I guess the first thing to notice is the photo, which is a weirdly-cropped render of a 991 911. Not sure what that has to do with the content of the post.

The next thing is this snippet:

"There are some clues you can look for, though. The best is probably seeing an M5 badged as a 528i, or any other reverse-ostentation. But this is about as rare as a manual Camry, so we tend to look for cars with the badges removed. If you see a Panamera Turbo with the "Turbo" script removed from the back, that's a good sign the driver bought that car for what it can do rather than what other people will think of him."

...what? In all my years of car-spotting I've never seen an M5 badged as a 528, and I don't know why anyone would do that. So you'd be trying to fool the very small percentage of people who know what "M5" means but who wouldn't recognize that you have M5 fascias, wheels, fenders, etc? I'm not even sure how to respond to that. Not to mention that it offers zero indication of whether you are a "good" driver. If anything, debadging is a cheap modification that is (in my experience) popular with the amateur modder crowd, who tend to overestimate their driving abilities and behave poorly on the road.

This website... I just don't get it. They could have written so many unoriginal things that would have made a lot more sense, like "someone who checks their mirrors regularly" or "uses their turn signals."

17. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Badge-delete is an interesting topic.
    I always heard (can't verify) that when buying a BMW in germany it's actually a cost option to have no badges on the back. In my time living there, I saw many 540s with no badges (don't remember seeing many de-badged M5s) because having a V8 is seen as being ostentatious (oh look at how rich that guy is, he can afford to guzzle $8/gal gas!).
    Whether or not that indicates a "better" driver is questionable, but I'm also a fan of removing model badges. Did it on our E39 528, to look cleaner and because it could also with the sport pac it could be mistaken for a 540.
    I'm a reverse-German :)

18. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    #143 TheBigEasy, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think it's stupid.

Case and point:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think thats cool. The owner is saying, "I dont take myself too seriously".

I had a Cthulhu 'fish' emblem on my F355 and Misfits sticker in the back window.

20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I see it fairly often in LA...maybe you just havent noticed.

21. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

Someone on our NY area forum spotted this oddly badged F50 recently...

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1591810&stc=1&d=1348538318

22. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Meh. It's that LA style of "trying too hard to look like you're not trying". :)

23. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #148 Nurburgringer, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. jcroeth

jcroeth Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    A friend of mine had a moderately powerful V8 BMW a couple years back (I'm sorry I don't remember what model exactly, except I know it was not an "M" model).

He told me that he HAD to take the badges off because idiots would try to race him at stop lights almost every other day. It got kinda annoying. But, he said, once he took the badge off it never happened again.

25. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Love it!!! I had fuzzy dice in my Benz.