Did FerrariChat introduce the PPI? | FerrariChat

Did FerrariChat introduce the PPI?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by VTChris, Sep 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Curious where the PPI originated. I mentioned it to a few of my friends who recently purchased (one was a Ferrari) and I mentioned "did you PPI it." Neither one knew what I was talking about.

Did FerrariChat introduce the world to the PPI?

Google was not my friend for the 1st time :)

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If you search for Pre Purchase Inspection you get 37 M results. :)

3. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    That helped (typing out ppi :) )
    I just went through 9 million results, and none of them mentioned the origination of the term.

It must have been Fchat :D

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    No.

Neither the term "PPI" nor the practice / procedure originated here ---- been going on for years before. I had my first one done in 1994, for example at RTGT in Portland, OR.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Alternately, "sizing up the Owner" works almost as well...saves $500 anyway..:rolleyes:

6. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    I think I read somewhere that Al Gore "invented it"...........Long before the earth got hot

7. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    LOLOLOL!! :D

8. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

As long as there have been used cars, buyers have been kicking the tires.

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Acronyms are everywhere. When I worked at a dealer we did a PDI. Pre Delivery Inspection. Making sure all was in the right place before delivery of a new car.

10. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Nope, Al Gore invented the Internet.....you're a bit confused. ;)

11. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    No confusion, he did both....................Along with a lot of other stuff like that he was the a spem donor that birthed Steve Jobs, etc.....

12. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    My old shop was doing PPI service in 1983, long before Al Gore invented the Internet.

13. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    :D

14. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    More than 75 years ago folks had mechanics look over a car prior to purchase .I am 61 yrs old and remember as a little kid the men discussing this ; "get it inspected" . Does the fact that someone did not utter the words "pre purchase" disqualify such history. Mike

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I'm 68 and I don't remember anyone saying "get it inspected". Usually it was the interested buyer that gave a visiual inspection and possibly drove the vehicle. Back in the day I really don't recall anyone bringing a used car in for a 'Professional' inspection.

Sparky

16. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Sparky, I'm not saying this happened in every case but I do remember well that having a mechanic look something over was not uncommon. I personally did a few back in the 70's. Mike

17. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Not doubting you but I don't think I ever did but probably should have! I bought many cars without doing a PPI in the 60s & 70s and regretted not having inspections done. Sometimes I lucked out and other times I didn't!

For example, I bought a couple of E-Types in the 60s(a 63 3.8 and a 65 4.2. Back then they were called "The instant poverty cars" which a salesman told me when I bought my 2nd one...I should have listened to him or better yet, had a professional check them out first.

Since then, when buying used, I've learned my lesson however, in the late 60s I bought my 1st ferrari used; a 330GT 2+2 series 2 with no inspection and never had a problem.

As I said, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Now, when buying used, I always have a PPI done.

Sparky