Any shops close to Barrington,IL for a PPI? | FerrariChat

Any shops close to Barrington,IL for a PPI?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by dogdoc97, Sep 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Looking at a 355, thnx, Dog

2. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Closest one is Ed's in Palatine, 847-934-6111 then next closest is Euroquipe in St. Charles

The two factory authorized dealers aren't terribly far either, Continental and LFSC.

3. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Is Ed's a place you would go; looked up the number, no website,and the name "Ed's affordable automotive" does not sound like a hi end car repair facility, no offense to anyone, do they have a F tech or two, thnx, dogdoc

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I wouldn't mess around with the independents up there ---- you never know exactly what you are going to get....

Have the owner bring the car into Lake Forest Sports Cars (LFSC) for you ---- I would trust them the most in the area for a thorough PPI, and their prices are quite reasonable for what you get.

http://www.lfsc.com/

5. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Makes sense, thnxm Dog

6. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    This shop is well regarded among the locals. They also service regular cars, hence the name.
    Would "Ed's expensive auto repair" make you more comfortable?

7. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    All of them listed have a positive reputation in the area. Certainly can't go wrong with LFSC.

8. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    the name does not let a potential customer have any idea what the capabilities of such a shop are.....the words "exotic,foreign,European, etc denote some knowledge one would think of hi line cars and then would make me call that business. Ed's Affordable says to me "domestic" car repair like Dodge,Ford, etc; that was the point I was trying to make.

As a side note, what company does not have a website in today's competitive market?
    At least if they had that I for one could go see the services,personnel qualifications and other info on the web....they do not have one. dogdoc

9. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    #9 Darolls, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    Ed's doesn't need a web site. They don't advertise and most of their business comes from referrals and repeat customers. They've been in business for about 25 years and have never needed to advertise...word of mouth is their best advertisement and it costs nothing.

I can vouch for their knowledge in all autos including domestic, foreign(Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Bentley, American Classics and Muscle cars).

Many of us use Ed's and are happy with his service; and he charges a lot less than dealers!

You will not find a more honest shop that knows what they're doing at a reasonable price. I've been using Ed's for over 20 years to service my DD's and Ferraris, RR, Mercedes etc.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

I know of a few outfits that have fancy websites and are total ripoffs!!! If a name and website makes you feel more comfortable, then by all means use them. If it's media hype and high price that defines quality in knowledge, expertise and honesty, then by all means don't use Ed's

Sparky

10. sagekilz

sagekilz Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Bensenville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Sus
    Continental AutoSports, Hinsdale, IL. Authorized Maserati and Ferrari for over 30 yearss.

11. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    Euroquipe in St. Charles.

12. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey guys, I as simply stating as Ross and I discussed, the name did not lead me to look further into the capabilities of the shop or calling them; if they do not NEED any more business that's fine.

When I see a business or entity I need to use services from I investigate,just like you do I am sure; neither I OR ANYONE here said they were not great at what they do, just that with no web presence and the name I would NOT normally call such a place to swervice a Ferrari, would you????? Now that I know, its a different story. Yes, I judged the book by the cover but till now no one really posted how great they are...and remember I am out of town, I do not live in Chi town although I used too so how would I know the reputation of the shop????

Seems to be a common theme on this board that folks get excited to the negative before they read the post clearly; you have helped me to know this shop; my inital post was not a slam of "Ed's but more of a commentary on today's business world.
    Glad they are so busy; for me I try to constantly tweak and market my hospitals' in today's comepetitive world, if Ed does not need to "drum up" anymore biz then good for him! I cannot afford to ignore the competition in my market. dogdoc

13. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    My post wasn't meant as a slam but was just an observation. Many of the car dealers in the area use Ed's to do PPIs and repairs on their domestic, foreign and exotics. Just give them a call and you'll probably talk to Patty...the office manager, and voice your questions.

Tele is 847-934-6111. All it will cost you is the price of a phone call.

14. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
  15. MyMp4-12c

MyMp4-12c Rookie

Jul 23, 2012
    Question: what is a PPI?

16. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Pre Purchase Inspection, where if you are far away and can't look at a car first hand, you get someone else to do it, to make sure the car looks okay, the paint, the seats, the wheels, chips, wear and tear, etc.

17. MyMp4-12c

MyMp4-12c Rookie

Jul 23, 2012
    Thanks.

18. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Not just when you are away; it's wise to do it every time. Mechanicals are checked as well

19. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
    You're welcome!

True. I don't think it's ever good to buy a car sight unseen, unless it's very desired and/or cheap.

20. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I meant even if you do see the car yourself it's always good to have a second pair of eyes especially one that is a mechanic :)

21. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Yeah, haha.