Trade a 360 Spider for an Aston Martin DB9 | FerrariChat

Trade a 360 Spider for an Aston Martin DB9

Discussion in '360/430' started by xilly, Oct 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xilly

xilly Rookie

Jun 18, 2010
    Port Washington, NY
    Full Name:
    William
    #1 xilly, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello everyone,

I love my 360 Spider, but I realized that it'll be even more enjoyable if I was able to travel with my wife and my 22 month old daughter!

So I'm looking to trade or sell my 360 to buy a 4 seats sport car.

First I'm not driving like a maniac on open road and for track I'm driving cars specially prepared for that. So 1/10 of a second on 0-60 mph does not really move me.

What I like the most is the design of the car and the way it drives. I love light weight car with an instant reponse when you push the throttle

So here is a quick list of what I'm looking for (or not):

Porsche:
    Before the 360, I had a 996 TT (with the S option) but I did not like it at all. Sure the car was fast and reliable but so boring... I believe it'll be the same with a 997TT and the car does not feel special. I like the GT3 but I guess my wife and daughter won't feel the same

Ferrari
    456: I think the car is a bit dated now
    612: I don't like the design of the car :-(

Maserati:
    Not a big fan of the design

Aston Martin:
    Vanquish: I think the rear design is outdated
    DB9: I love the design of the car

So I'm wondering if there are some people that have both a 360 and a DB9 and tell me what
    they think.

Tx a lot for your help and comments

William
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When I have to own a "4 seater" per the wifes dictate.. the DB9 will definitely be high on my list. I hope I can keep the 360 and own both.. I think a DB9 is a suitable trade if low miles, later model and nicely kept... deprecitation on AM's tends to be killer though.. :(

3. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    plastique999 has a 430 spider and a DB9. He should chime in soon.

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Drive one and you will want to keep your 360.

5. xilly

xilly Rookie

Jun 18, 2010
    Port Washington, NY
    Full Name:
    William
    I agree but adding 2 seats at the rear of the 360 is going to be difficult...

6. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I like your list and thought process. I do not have a DB9, but it is on my list for a 4 seater GT. I am not sure it would be a suitable replacement for your 360. Maybe you should also consider keeping the 360 and getting something in addition (my solution).

My list: (4drs or 4seaters trying to be sports cars)
    >997TT: (+)reliable : (-)Rear seats very small, not very exotic
    >DB9: (+)exotic and luxurious : (-)Slow and only reasonably reliable
    >Quattroporte or Gran Turismo: (+)exotic and luxurious. : (-)Slow, not super reliable, and expensive to repair especially clutches on pre mid 2008 quattroports.
    >612: (+)Ferrari, exotic, luxurious, almost fast : (-)sort of expensive for what it is

So after extensive shopping, which I enjoy, I started to figure out that taking a 4dr or 4seater and trying to make it into a sports car was just not working and offered a reasonably reliable and expensive transport with limited room and would only be a stop-gap as the kids grew older. So I included the standard 4dr luxury imports, which are just trying to do their job of providing reasonably priced, reasonable performance in a reliable package. Adding 4drs would extend the usefulness time line and reduce the PIA factor.

New List: (4 seaters trying to be great 4 seaters)
    >Mercedes C (-)just not that great : (+)retains most Merc qualities
    >Audi A4 (or S4) (-)I just could not get used to the AWD, felt numb (+)decent looking, good car
    >Lexus IS (-) n/a for me (+)modern, luxurious, keyless-go standard, felt good behind the wheel, fun to drive
    >Porsche Panamera (-)a bit pricy for what it is, polorizing looks (many find it ugly) (+)great drivers car
    >BMW 335 (-)Turbo lag of 3 seconds or so would get me killed, interior reminded me of my grandmother (+) a great car for the $, quality

So I ended up falling in like with the Lexus IS and just added it as a 5th vehicle. It even sits outside (ouch). My final thought was; why try and buy a 4dr that is trying to be a sports car. I just wanted a car sporty enough and "cool" enough not to prevent me from fornicating.

7. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just got out of an AM Vantage. I liked the car, but never loved it. Just didn't have the excitement of the Ferrari. Of course the DB9 will have more power, but I think the general feel of the car will be the same- steady, predictable, and somewhat boring.

I'm with Trent. Get another car for the kid. I ended up with a Cayenne.

8. xilly

xilly Rookie

Jun 18, 2010
    Port Washington, NY
    Full Name:
    William
    #8 xilly, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tx for the first comments everyone

The last 4 doors saloon I owned was a M5 E39.
    I think it was a bad sport car (way too heavy) and a bad saloon car (suspension too hard)

I'm using a 2004 cayenne S for every day, so I'm really looking for something special for the week end, but in familly

William

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    Also, and because you live in NY state and therefore see a real winter, you could add the Audi RS4 into the mix. It's quite powerful, a great four season car, and is really quite impressive on winter tires. It's getting difficult to find on the second-hand market last time I looked. Jeremy Clarkson says its V8 engine is one of the best engines ever made. Check out the following video even if you're not interested in the RS4 as it's an entertaining bit of TV:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oVSKjWKLdc[/ame]

10. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    A three-year old California?

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    True! Best keep the 360 and get an m5 or Jag XFR. Both are much better to drive than the DB9. Been there, done that.

12. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Maybe for his wife. Haha, just kidding. But a current California owner I met this past weekend said he regrets buying that car because he believes it is a woman's ride.

NOT MY WORDS, his words.

13. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    Drove plastique's DBS (which is worlds of a difference over a db9) and the back seats looked unusable. Worse than a 911's because there was ZERO leg room. They looked like two buckets rather than bucket seats. Power was impressive but the car felt a bit heavy. Reminded me of an amg merc. Made me appreciate the lightness and nimble nature of an f430.

Despite this, I'm not a big fan of the 360 so I would get a DBS just for the looks and daily cruiser. But if it were between a 430 or DBS, 430 hands down for the fun. They obviously serve very different purposes but I'm pretty sure you'll have a hard time fitting a family of 3 or 4 in a db9.

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I've had a DB9 and a 360 Spider at the same time followed by a 430 Spider and a DBS at the same time.

All are fantastic. However, a Ferrari moves in a unique way and is much more entertaining than an Aston.

The DBS is a very special car and well worth finding the extra for (over a DB9), my wife and daughters loved it and my children who are teenagers could squeeze into the rear for short journeys.

I have since sold it for a 360 CS though (430 and DBS are both sporting GT type cars whereas the CS is something different).

If it was a straight choice between Aston and Ferrari, obviously seems like Ferrari for me.

Astons are less driver focused than Ferraris and no matter how much you try and convince yourself, that is the compromise you must accept. They do have appeal in other ways though.

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I had a 4dr BMW M3. Fun to drive. Safe. or you can get a conv M3.

16. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    Lotus Evora S?

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I have considered all of the cars discussed above. I went through the painstaking process of trying to buy a car as a "compromise" to squeeze my kids in the back of a cool sports car. In the end I got the DBS (2+0) [and kept my E60 M5 for picking up my 3 boys when need be].

Before the DBS, I had a Nurburgring Edition V8V. It handled well but was underpowered. The DBS does NOT come close to my 430 in terms of visceral driving experience. It is a GT in all aspects.

So when you say a 997 TT is "boring" I fear that the Aston may not give you the 'soul' that you are looking for. There are few brands that invigorate me in this way - Lotus feeds my soul. It is raw in every way. My 430 is a close second. The DBS alternates with my M5 as a DD.

I've tried and tried to think of any and many sports cars that I could drive with my kids (with 3 its impossible). But in the end you are compromising something.

Get the car that "adrenalizes" your soul.

18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    This is a very, very good choice, and if I sell my 211, I'd probably pick up an Evora (though still not as raw as an Elise/Exige) in a 2+2.

19. donho

donho Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have an 360 F1 spider and a manual DBS Volante. Aside from being topless, they are entirely different drives, which is why I have both.

You know how the 360 drives, so I'll focus on the character of the DBS. First off, it's a GT. It's pretty fast and handles pretty well. It's as fast as the 360, but it doesn't feel like it, and it doesn't change direction anywhere near as fast.

By today's standards, the reality is that the 360 isn't really that fast and doesn't really change direction very fast. However, it remains a very engaging drive. To me, much more so than the DBS.

That's not to say that the DBS is bad in any way. It's fabulous, just different. To me, the DBS drives very much like a 550/575. Nothing like the E39 M5.

As noted previously, it's not really a four-seater. However, a toddler in a car seat will fit if the passenger seat is moved forward.

Personally, I didn't buy the car for its speed or utility, I bought it for its looks. It has a completely different road presence from the Ferrari and to me is far more elegant.

I drive them both as daily drivers. If I want an engaging drive, I take the 360. If I'm taking my wife to dinner, we take the DBS.

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    An AMG Merc?!? Shouldn't you be studying for boards? ;)

As DonHo said, people by AM for their road presence and elegance.

21. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    I am. Ok ok maybe not so numb and heavy as an amg merc but you get the point.

But I do agree. There is nothing like the presence and elegance of an AM. That DBS looks amazing!

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I would go jag r ......half the money than the db9 and less expensive to maintain, and you can still keep the 360.

In essence , they are very similar cars when you are doing 65 miles per hour with your family in it.

23. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    +1 for the XK, never seen a bad review and they are stunning in real life. Look more into them before making a decision, the base 300 hp ones are getting cheap now.

24. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #24 andrew911, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    To each his own, but once we had kids I really realized I should continue to keep the sports car seperate from family cars (back then I had a 911 as my weekend toy). I have driven our oldest child in the front booster seat of the ferrari sometimes for some rides, but really when traveling with kids especially young ones that need strollers and such, it's simiply better to keep the 2 seater sports car for yourself if you can. To me it's not worth the compromise as any 4 seater sports car will be very cramped and then wont get used much except by yourself early on the weekend or whenever you have time vs. with the family. And when driving by yourself on some nice backroads in the weekend morning before the kids are up, and there's no traffic....then you'll be wishing you had a low, mid engined flat cranked V8 2- seat ferrari (with sport cats and tubi exhaust) vs. a heavy aston. You be thinking of any way to get back into a ferrari once the "newness" of the aston wears off... At least I would be thinking that :) The newness/excitement of owning a ferrari for myself (and my wife on the rare occasion we can get out for dinner with just the two of us) has not worn off one bit and it's been over 3 years now since I bought the car...

By the way, I think I commented on your pictures in the past- I have a 360 coupe and a 1978 VW convertible as my toys- I get the not needing to go fast (at least in the VW) to have fun thing like you :)

-Andrew

25. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    I just love the Maserati Granturismo. It will probably be the replacement car for my S class. Look at one in white.

But then everyone's taste is different.