Trade a 360 Spider for an Aston Martin DB9 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Trade a 360 Spider for an Aston Martin DB9

Discussion in '360/430' started by xilly, Oct 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    I agree on the Maserati GranTurismo, it has to be one of the best looking GT cars on the market, but probably would seem a bit boring to drive vs. a 360.

2. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    +1 on this. My 360 will pretty much be for me, and somewhat to go driving with my wife. The M5 can do family duty, but mostly I use my 2010 S550 for that purpose.

And with regard to the Maserati GranTurismo, that would be an interesting replacement for an S-Class M-B. 4 doors to 2? If you have a family and need the car for that duty, I hope it can fit the bill. Wouldn't be my first choice - if I were going for a Maserati, it would be a Q-Porte all the way.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Never understand these opinions....I have to keep towels and diapers in my 996TT for passenger use when I feel like vigorous driving. Tremendous grip, breathtaking acceleration on boost, loud and totally obnoxious. Wife hates it, kids beg for me to take it out.

If a 997 Turbo is out (and you won't consider a GTR), you're stuck with GT cars. The AM back seats are just stupid small. The best combo IMO would be the Maser GT, lots of real interior room for 4 wrapped in a sexy exterior.

4. xilly

xilly Rookie

Jun 18, 2010
    Port Washington, NY
    Full Name:
    William
    #29 xilly, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    hummm...

Tx a lot for all the answers

Maybe I should trade my 77' 911 for a more recent (80's or early 90's) car (Porsche 928s for example)

Since I have my daugther, I almost don't drive the 360 because during the week end, I'm trying to do stuff with her (going to car show for example :- ) ) and doing that in a Cayenne is everything except exciting

Saying that, I still need a reliable car with her :)

William
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. xilly

xilly Rookie

Jun 18, 2010
    Port Washington, NY
    Full Name:
    William
    I agree that the 996TT (with the 450HP kit) was a faster car than the 360 but it definitively felt heavier and not "so" special. I enjoy 10 times more the driving of the 360 even if the 996TT was by far a more pratical and everyday type of car.

I believe in almost any car you can need towel and diapers for passengers :)

William

6. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    Don't do it...... no comparison.

Aston DB9 and V8 are boring, handling is not great/ dead steering, noise is awful, brakes are awful.... no soul, trumped up Ford, with cheap interiors, and a DB9 wont be any good for anything mor ethan a 4 years old in the back.

You will regret it if you appreciate driving, better off getting a well taken care of 456 manual, and dare I say a 911.....

7. xilly

xilly Rookie

Jun 18, 2010
    Port Washington, NY
    Full Name:
    William
    I LOVE my 2.7 911S, car fell so light when you drive it, it's not about the speed but the feeling when you drive.
    Only drawback is that there is not belts at the back tha'ts why I can drive it my daughter

william

8. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Plus I've heard many complaints from owners about the reliability of the AM.

One went so far as to say it is the least-reliable brand in the exotic car category. A bit harsh, I agree, but similar sentiments have been brought before me more than once. Maybe I've only heard from people with poor experiences. Doubtless, there are many opinions to the contrary / favor.

9. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    #34 Finlander, Oct 3, 2012
  10. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    Found myself in the same situation as the OP some years ago.

Shipped the kids to boarding school in Switzerland.

On the occasion that they are home (Christmas, Easter etc) the Porsche will seem exciting.

You'll get to keep the 360 and the kids will get a better education.

Win - win!

(before someone goes all daddy bear on me, just kidding.... but it could work)

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    You guys are not understanding the AM brand - it's not about the driving experience or reliability. It's about road presence and elegance.
    Trust me, I am ALL about the driving experience and that's when I hop in the Lotus. But AM carries a unique prestige of which you cruise with a royalty ambience. AM does NOT have the best performance - I learned this the hard way. But as a GT cruiser, it is very hard to beat. The AM is one that handles well with some punch.

In terms of reliability, my previous V8V and current DBS have been awesome. Modern Astons are fine.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Strongly disagree

13. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Just wanted to say i really appreciate your reviews and posts, both here and six speed. Your passion is almost palpable!

14. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    #39 MikeR397, Oct 3, 2012
    I have both a 360 and a 996tt. The Porsche has a tune and catless Europipe exhaust. It's got a very loud, deep, rumbling cold start that shakes things off shelves in the garage, but once it warms up, it's dramatically quiter; too quite if you ask me. The Porsche (on boost) accelerates like a rocketship and I've touched 170 mph and it shows no sign of slowing down. The acceleration past 100mph is just stunning. The brakes are absolutely perfect, and the handeling/steering is very predictable and communicative. It always starts up without any issues and runs like a bulletproof champ. It does not attract the crazy attention the (red) Ferrari does and blends in nicely. It's extremely easy to park and navigate tight spaces (very unlike the Ferrari). You get all that, and it costs about 1/2 as much as a 360 to buy, and perhaps 1/3 or less to own.

That said, I understand how some can consider it boring when compared to the 360. There is just something special about how the Fcar drive is an experience, and not just a commute. I have test pipes and Tubi and the thing just screams. It doesn't rumble or growl or whistle like the 996 turbo, it just screams. 8500 rpm vs 6500 rpm has something to do with it, but the flat plane V8 is the real reason it sounds so fantastic. I very much like the looks of the 996tt, but the Ferrari 360 is a masterpiece to look at. I may be biased, but I like the looks of the 360 better than the 430/458/599/Cali/ect. It's a true experience to own a Ferrari, and the attention definately reminds you of that fact. It may not out accellerate, out brake, or out perform a 996tt, but for a sunny day drive with friends, I'll be grabbing the F car keys everytime.

BTW, sorry for OT...back to Aston vs Ferrari...

15. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    FWIW, the first exotic I always wanted was a V8V. I got the 996tt instead for a variety of reasons. Next, the 360. But, I still very much want a V8V and have been considering adding one in the spring. At 6'6'', I really don't have comfortable room for a clutch pedal and would have to go with a sportshift. I'm less concerned with 4.3L vs 4.7L V8V than I am about the sportshift feeling clunky compared to the Ferrari (has Stradale TCU and shifts/blips beautifully). I love Aston for the looks (and sound too), but I've read so many comments about the compromises (power, weight, response, reliablity/cost) and it's been hard to pull the trigger on one thus far.

I do still long for a tungsten Vantage with black leather and thick white or red contrast stitching, so there probably is only one way to settle the urge. Prices on 07 Vantages (06 was only manual) are getting quite reasonable in the mid and sometimes low 60's for one with ~20k miles (how I like them :) ).

ETA: Stupid addiction...

16. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    Granturismo S? Bentley Continental? Benz CL65?

17. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    #42 tomoshea, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    You say "toe mate o" I say "tomato". It's just an opinion :)

DB9 and 360 not comparable. Ones a GT the other isn't.

Let's just say I think there are more flexible GT's out there, and I know of more DB9 rebuilds than I do 360's.

Flawed at start up, oil lubrication system issues

Most people I know try them once then revert.

18. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    Why not keep the 430, and add a 456? But then again I like the 456.

Posted from Ferrarichat.com App for Android

19. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX

There you go,

My wife and two kids age 5 and 7 all love to ride in our 456MGT...,
    It's our FF (Family Ferrari)

Alex

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thanks Mike! Likewise I appreciate and have agreed with your opinions on the 360. It really is timeless Ferrari and your passion for Porsche is like mine for Lotus.
    P.S. - get the Vantage, but get a 4.7L or an S :)

21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Ok to be more specific...
    We both agree that the AM is a GT car. When I bought my first V8V N400, I was disappointed in some areas - mainly the torque and HP. I went into it with the misconception that it would replace the fun factor of my Elise - Wrong. So I sold it for a 430.

To your points:
    The V8V was not boring - it had excellent handling, not as nimble as a Lotus or P-car. But on the mountain twisties the Vantage could handle the curves very well. My DBS being heavier is more piggish and loose but the adaptive suspension gives decent feedback.
    I have had no noise issues in the cabin so not sure what you are referring to. All I heard was the nice growl of the V8 and more so in the V12.
    Brakes in the V8V were solid - not sure what you mean by awful. Please elaborate. No brake fade for me and pretty well balanced when braking hard. The DBS ceramic brakes of course are superb.

Cheap interior? I loved the leather interior of the Vantage and when I sit in my DBS with Alcantara center inserts and the piano black fascia center console, it feels very refined. The shifter is an ergonomically shaped aluminum alloy - not cheap to me! Yes the navigation sucks. I think you are mistaken for Jag's interior which looks like a "trumped up Ford."

Soul is what you make of it and the emotional bond you have with a car. If you understand what the purpose of an Aston offers - elegance in a GT driving experience, then yes, to me it very much has soul.

22. auclutch

auclutch Karting

Sep 25, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    #47 auclutch, Oct 5, 2012
    I have the Jag XKR, 360, and had the 456 for a brief while.

As others have mentioned, I believe that the 456 is definitely dated and so in terms of performance, comfort, and overall appearance, I would not recommend you to consider that as a replacement or complementary option.

The Jag and the 360 compliment each other very well. The Jag is style on wheels with all the electronics and comforts of a modern day car (i.e. bluetooth, luxury interior, nice insulation, very comfortable ride/suspension, monitor, navi, dvd, etc....) and has speed as well. Mine is the 420hp version but still doesn't feel underpowered at all. The looks are amazing and gets compliments everywhere. I wish I had a pic on this computer of both cars and will try to remember to post one when I get home. My Jag is white.

The 360 is raw. It has the nimbleness of a gokart and you won't find that in the Jag but you won't find that comfort either. The Jag's 2 rear seats can definitely be used to seat younger children and my daughter has sat back there many times both in and outside of a car seat. The bucket seats are so deep that she is really snug. An adult cannot fit back there, on the other hand.

All in all if I only had one car I would say the Jag is better all around. But every now and then when you need to run through the gears and blow off steam, the 360 can't be beat, not by anything I have at least...

23. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    Wow! Ferrari's in Korea. That's awesome!

24. pitbullforte

pitbullforte Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2006
    Oporto
    I would keep the 360 and buy an m3.

25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I love how in the picture above from auclutch you can see the similarity between the 360 and the 458 in the side profile. :)