Ferrari 308 - Daytona 24 hrs. 1978 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 308 - Daytona 24 hrs. 1978

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Autocollezioni Magazine, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Autocollezioni Magazine

Mar 20, 2010
    Hello from Italy
    I'm looking for some photos about the Jolly Club Ferrari 308 GTB which ran in 1978 Daytona 24 hrs. with Rombolotti, Camathias, Mallet and Bob Bondurant.

I'm trying to realize a 1/43 scale model.

In the web I found only one good shot (from Racingsportscars.com) and a smaller one from fkickr).

May anyone help me?

2. tonyhemet

tonyhemet Karting

Jul 21, 2012
    hemet,ca,usa
    Full Name:
    anthony gonzalez
    Hello from california
    Google
    jolly Ferrari 308
    images
    Ciao

3. Autocollezioni Magazine

Mar 20, 2010
    Thank you Tony, but I wrote I saw that shot.
    If possible, I need some more.
    Thank you

4. Philmodelcar

Philmodelcar Karting

May 19, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    #4 Philmodelcar, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't know how accurate it is, but there are tons of pictures of a model in this eBay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Record-Pro-Built-Ferrari-308-GTB-Daytona-1-43-Kit-NIB-/190528873504

There are is a photo of the #4 and #8 308's here: http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Daytona-1978-02-05.html

I was at the race in 1978 (went to every 24 hours from 77 until mid 90's), unfortunately I didn't take a lot of photos and didn't save those I took. I don't remember seeing the 308's at 24 hours, but I remember the Daytona's and 365 BB's very clearly. In 1979, a Daytona, many years out of production at that point, finished 2nd overall and first in GTO class. The Porsche 935's were dominant, but somehow the Daytona beat all but one of them. That Daytona had a black stripe painted on its hood to pay tribute to their team manager that had died the day before the race.

It was a different type of race in those days with a huge variety of cars, including some you wouldn't expect (914-4, Triumph GT-6, Lotus Europa, Datsun 510, Mazda RX-3, the ear-piercingly loud RX-7's, etc). The teams varied from professional organizations down to cars entered by local repair shops. It was more interesting racing in those days (IMO) because there was such variety and the race seemed much more personal.

6. Autocollezioni Magazine

Mar 20, 2010
    Thank you everybody, but I need number 4, not number 8!

7. Autocollezioni Magazine

Mar 20, 2010
  8. tonyhemet

tonyhemet Karting

Jul 21, 2012
    hemet,ca,usa
    Full Name:
    anthony gonzalez
    Gee, I sure hope Phillipe does'nt represent the entire nation of Belgium, because at first glance anybody might mistake them for a country of snobs !

Whereas anybody from Italy that would say thank you twice in the same paragraph has a big gold star in my book and when I start thinking about where to spend my American dollars on my next vacation, you know they are going to be high on my list.

"Ciao"
    ( I like this word)

9. Philmodelcar

Philmodelcar Karting

May 19, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    #10 Philmodelcar, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Don't worry, I have been called the same.....I say: "No, just a flashy dressed man!!!"

11. Autocollezioni Magazine

Mar 20, 2010
    Merci' Philippe. Is this one taken from italian weekly magazine Autosprint?

I hoped to find one or more amatorial shots form anyone who was there in 1978.

Thank you everybody. But it seems there's no good shot

12. Autocollezioni Magazine

Mar 20, 2010
    Well, we are waiting for you and for your American dollars... ; )

"Ciao", I suppose, is the most famous italian word after "pasta" and "Ferrari".

It's difficult for me to explain because of my bad English, but "ciao" derived from "schiavo", in English "slave". In sec. XVII when a gentleman met a woman was used to say "schiavo vostro" ("slave to you").
    From "schiavo" to "schiao", until the actual "ciao"

ciao!

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have seen the ladies of Italy, I see that, entirely....

14. Autocollezioni Magazine

Mar 20, 2010
    ...but not a single, good shot of 308 GTB number 4!