Disappointing Red/Tan 360 Spider | FerrariChat

Disappointing Red/Tan 360 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by IDriveM5, Oct 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Hey folks,

Just thought I'd make you aware of some disappointing behavior I have observed on the used market. Here's a link to a Red/Tan 360 Spider (89k miles!!! *gulp*) for sale on Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-Ferrari-360-Spider-Convertible-2-Door-3-6L-/110960208237?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19d5be696d
    Note the asking price of $49,900 OBO. Also note in the write-up the accident history explained by the seller. You can view the history of offers - there were a few "songs" on that list.

Now check this AutoTrader listing, posted SHORTLY (meaning within a day or so) after the eBay auction was "no longer available"
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=45458&endYear=2013&keywords=Spider&modelCode1=360&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1981&makeCode1=FER&exteriorColorSimple1=RED&keywordsfyc=Spider&searchRadius=0&listingId=331878320&Log=0

See any similarities? Hmmm, let us start with the VIN, which is identical. Next, move to the write-up, which was copied from the original seller's eBay add, almost verbatim. What's different? Well, the company name. Oh, and the ACCIDENT HISTORY. Minor detail.

So, in summary, this same car was "bought" from the original seller who listed on eBay (when the car was located in Florida) for somewhere south of $49,900, I think we can be sure. Now, with little/no reconditioning (probably, given the time between posts), it's being retailed for "$61,500" when it was worth less than $49,9k to start with! Hopefully, we can mostly agree there. Then again, that's probably cannon fodder for some folks here.

It's just frustrating to see this kind of stuff because I've been watching the market so closely for like 6 months, then something wacky like this happens and it defies all of my logic. I know, I know, a dealer trying to make a fast buck at the expense of the previous owner.......

Anyway, I personally wouldn't touch this lady with someone else's 10-foot pole, if you catch my drift. "Atlanta Fine Cars." Grrr..

*FRUSTRATED*

2. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    It's a free market, and it works well, especially in an environment of free-flowing information. You've done your part. Thanks.

3. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...thoroughly confused by your post, why are you upset if you wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole? Do you expect the dealer to sell it for less? the same amount? More?

4. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm confused....why do you care?....and if someone bought it they're free to try and sell it for whatever they want....

5. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I understand because I am also in the market looking. The dealer intentionally left out the accident history leaving it up to the buyer to figure it out, possibly after spending $400 for a PPI. I wonder what they would say if you were on the lot and the first question you asked them was "does this car have any accident history?"

6. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I think the OP is referring to the fact that the original ad clearly mentions the accident damage, the new ad/seller does not, and no way the new seller does not know this.......

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The price doesn't bother me too much, because the way I see it:
    It was listed low on e-bay to hopefully start a bidding war and raise the price, or, as it's listed now, a higher price with the ability to negotiate down to make a sale. Take your choice? A car is only worth what someone will pay for it. Whether it's negotiated up, or down, it will end at the same price eventually.
    I agree about the accident info though. It's extremely screwed up that it wasn't disclosed up front. But unfortunately, from what I've seen, it seems like you have to ask a direct question like: Was it in any accidents? Were there any repaints of any kind?
    Even then, they can lie. I bought my car from a dealer (authorized F car dealer), and I was assured that there were no repaints of any kind....come to find out after I got it delivered that there was an obvious repaint! Even after I insisted that it was a deal breaker for me if there was any repaint, I was still lied to!
    I hate to be this way, but when you look for a car, don't trust ANYONE, and you won't end up disapointed.

8. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    VIN ZFFYT53A720128090 for posterity (i.e. search engine).

if the next buyer does his homework, this will show up. Apparently it's also on Carfax.

9. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    The most important word in all of this .... " FLORIDA "

LOL

Scam central.

10. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I never thought of the scam angle..... Hmmmm...

I don't understand why this thread is so confusing. I found something notable, posted it, and gave my opinion & feelings. End of story.

Anyway, maybe you guys see 89,000 mile Ferrari cars every day. I know I sure don't.

11. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    If I read this correctly the OP is saying the FL guy was honest and the GA guy is hiding something. I don't know why the OP cares but the post was slightly entertaining.

12. o31982

o31982 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    nes
    i missed out on a forum deal. 1999 Silver 360 with 26k miles, carbon OEM seat sold for $57 private party... 2 weeks late it was on eBay for $65k.

oh well.

13. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Were am I when these deals come up ? In all seriousness that is a screaming deal if car was clean and good history, no major service needed.
    I am looking for a Red 360, higher miles, lower price- send em my way.

14. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Any mention of "Florida" and the red flags and alarms should start going off and any interest in the vehicle should be suspect from there on.(or better yet immediately move on :) )

15. hifipj

hifipj Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2009
    Not all FL owners are scammers. I live in SW Florida 50% of the year.

I've owned my gorgeous 2000 360 Red/Blk coupe for 3 years now, purchased from fellow Fchatter. Was AZ car most of its life. If and when I sell it, it will be listed here first b/c I feel it's the best place to interact with honest fellow enthusiasts. It will be represented honestly, because I have never, and will never, cheat a purchaser of the many cars I've loved and sold over the years.

Granted, there are many scammers in FL, and most of them in the SE (Miami) FL area. But a blanket statement like that is just BS. There are also tons of con artists in the Phoenix area and in Las Vegas. Does that mean one should dismiss every possible car purchase from those areas too? Give me a break!

Oh yeah, and I forgot, EVERYBODY in the O.C. is honest!!!

16. o31982

o31982 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    nes
    The guy was local to me, it was a forum member asking for pricing advice. It was one of those deals posted on a wed and sold before the weekend. Wasn't that long ago, from what I heard it needed tires, rear latch needed to be serviced and annual.

17. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    East coast Vs West coast is so biggie and 2Pac ish.

The worst car dealer and transaction I have had in my life was in CA, but I am afraid that does not give me the right to label the entire state as a red-flag.

OP: why do you care about this 360 transaction? The price delta between purchase and sale is called profit, its really an important part of the economy. The undisclosed details are the buyers responsibility, well at least the smart buyers. Carfax and its clones are your friends.

If you want to point out a particularly good deal, go ahead, some will thank you, but if you want to post on all Ferraris for sale with undisclosed damage than you are likely going to wear the markings off of your keyboard.

18. chris360hawks

chris360hawks Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris Hard
    Buy low. Sell high. Cars bounce around all the time. I would be willing to bet if you asked the dealer if the car has been in a accident, he would probably tell you what the eBay seller said.

19. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    As a car dealer, i see nothing wrong with this deal! The Ebay auction had an offer of $44k which was declined, so if he sold it to this Dealer, it wasnt that far south of $49k. Plus the Atlanta dealer has some liability and expense. Just because he is asking $61k, doesnt mean he will get it or take in a trade in that the customer wants more than its worth. With that said, the ebay guy and Dealer could be friends or one in the same. Sometimes people list cars on ebay in hopes to find a retail customer, or see what the car might be worth.

Wait a few months and see if the car sells, my bet is that it might be there on the site till next spring...it aint easy to finance a 90,000 mile Ferrari!

20. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Penfed will finance it 1.49%, bet it takes less than 10 minutes...

21. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex

Silly rant. What's your logic? A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. The dealer saw potential so he scooped it up. Buying and selling, Yes, It happens daily, really shouldn't upset you.

22. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    #22 IDriveM5, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    Wow, thanks to all the guys who have explained how buying and selling works. It was always such a mystery to me!

I can't figure out how I've made it this far without such basic advice. Best forum ever!

For those with some understanding and insight, thanks. For those without such, well you know what to do.

At least it sparked a somewhat worthwhile discussion. My point was to highlight the behavior and share my opinion. That's it. End of story. FWIW the selling dealer has 8 BBB complaints relatively recently and has a fraud case in court with a buyer. Joy, now I get to read all the smart posts about why BBB complaints and fraud cases are a GOOD thing. I'll be holding my breath fellas!

I'm not buying the car, thought it was interesting given the history, writeup, and mileage. For those who didn't find those things of interest, well, I don't care. Seriously, I wonder why I bother posting anything sometimes. Oh, wait, if I hadn't, then the buy/sell mystery would still be unknown to me. How lucky I am...............

23. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    People here can be so full of it at times...

The OP goes out of his way to share info trying to help his fellow fchatters and he gets idiotic replies.

The information posted is very useful, end of story.

As an fchatter, all I want to say is thank you.

24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Now this is good info. I know what dealer I'm staying away from for my next purchase, some dealers without complaints are bad enough, I can't even imagine how bad these guys are!

25. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Regardless of what none says about the op... This has helped ensure I find a more trustworthy dealer when needed