Selling My 512 BBi to a Socal Buyer | FerrariChat

Selling My 512 BBi to a Socal Buyer

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by David512, Oct 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Hi, I am selling my Boxer and writing to ask if anyone here would comment on dealings with Shervin Mateen. PM is fine. His offering price ($83K) is okay, but he wants to see a photocopy of the title to be assured that there is no lien holder. I have never heard of this request.

Thanks,

David

2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I read of the elaborate scam regarding the 599 in Park City, Utah, and one of the requested items was a scan of title (which was provided). I would try to assure him there is no lien holder, which he can verify for himself at time of purchase when you exchange payment for car+title.
    Jes

3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    FYI, this was required of me when I bought my car for financing purposes. I had to fax a copy of the title to my bank. If he's in a similar situation, ask if you can fax it directly to the bank and before doing so, verify the bank is legit and the fax number is legit.

4. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Be careful... I would not release copy of he title. Who cares if you have a lien against the car or not as long as it is satisfied before you sell it that should not matter. If you owe money your car, the pink slip will be held by the lien holder, so he can make two payments, one to you and one to the lien holder at the time of purchase.

If you don’t have a lien against your car, you can ask him to meet you at DMV when he is ready to buy and exchange title for payment. If you are accepting a check, a cashier check or a promised wire, I would highly recommend you delay title transfer of title until you are 100% secured that the payment has cleared your account. Be careful of cashiers checks tricks on the spot for exchange for clean title. I don't who Shervin Mateen is. I know of a friend who was almost a victim and want to caution you.

Good luck!

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
  6. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Many good points were presented. Thank you all for those. Although I understand a buyer's concern, I agree that he does not need to see the title. The broker (Salernomorotsports/Autobahn Autos*) can just say on the phone, "We are looking at a copy of the title, and there is no lienholder." If that is not sufficient, then I walk away.

A bank is not involved here because he is just planning to buy directly. I figured the folks in Southern California might know him since he says he has a warehouse with 40 cars, and a search via Google shows a wealthy Shervin Mateen apparently into commercial real estate.

I bought the car from Gary Bobileff in 2000.

*An aside: I first put the car on the market in 2008 right after a major service but withdrew it when the economy began its race to the precipice, I announced the sale in the Boxer/etc forum and should have advised the broker to do so this time.

http://www.salernomotorsports.com/1983_Ferrari_512_BBi.html

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

David

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    FWIW, Google seems to think he's a real person...

Shervin Mateen is associated with several companies, including 7515 Greenville Gp, LLC, Ashford Oaks Gp, LLC and Canterbury Plaza Gp, Inc.. Shervin Mateen has 6 known relationships including Kamyar Mateen, Cannon Commercial, Inc. and Kamran Gharibian and is located in Los Angeles, CA.
    Sources: California Secretary of State last refreshed 9/10/2012
    California Secretary of State last refreshed 9/10/2012
    Texas Secretary of State last refreshed 9/10/2012

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/shervin-mateen/35/245/459

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Beautiful car. Wish I were in the market, I'd have a really tough time deciding between that and a 512TR at 80k...

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

#9 SrfCity, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    I don't see why redacting sensitive info and presenting that would be any big deal? That would prove there's no liens and the guy could gleam little else from it. If the guy is a scam there should be other tell tale signs anyway.

BTW showing the title doesn't prove much as liens could be racked up after on a supposed clean title. I'd be contacting the DMV to verify liens. Finally, I Googled the guy too and he does look to be a wheeler dealer on the surface?

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    That IS a beautiful car - sure you want to sell that?
    Jes

11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Very normal for a dealer/broker to want to see the title. Maybe just take a pic of it on your phone and NOT fax him one. Phone photo should work? Fax can be recreated. Just my opinion.

12. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Thanks Darth. I will also delve into these references you provided.

David

13. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    I dearly love the car, but, alas, I must. The maintenance costs graphed against eventual retirement, downward pressure on salaries in my line of work, and the need to put my kid through college create pressure. When I bought the car in 2000, I naively believed (along with many others who believed in the "new economy") that I would not lose significant money on the stock market.

I still have my '89 328 GTS, on which I have logged about 42K miles since purchase in 1999.

David

14. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    I have driven perhaps 8 models of Ferrari, including new and very fast cars and a Daytona, but the Boxer is the only car that makes me feel like a king. It's the car's personality.

I have never driven a TR.

David

15. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Looking at that door plate makes me think my old neighbor imported this car. Was it from the LA area originally?

16. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    #16 David512, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    I would have to check earliest DOT etc records to see who imported, but I think those records indicate a dealer on the East Coast. However, the two owners prior to me were (up to 2000) a lawyer in the San Diego area and, before him, a lawyer named Nishiyama in L.A.

D

17. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    No problem, thought it might be a Dr. who lived in Encino.

18. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I keep looking at the pictures of your car - just love it!
    Jes

19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    If he the buyer doesn't pull the trigger, kindly PM me, I am interested in your car, as long as it has a CARB STICKER.

20. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011

Note for anyone asking for a photo copy of the title make sure you put your business card over your address and or use a clear plastic with your name on multiple spots on the title or a post it note and your name the post it note in various spots. Also for fellow f-chat members to note when buying a gray market euro car make sure it has these 2 items on the car / truck / SUV / 4X4 etc

http://www.salernomotorsports.com/1983_Ferrari_512_BBi_files/DSC08748.jpg

if it does not have those 2 items in the link above : walk away, unless you want to pay some $$$$$$$$$ money to make it legal for California. Everyone says they can get it done but this is one where the DMV sends you to a ETL for validation for DOT/EPA proof.

21. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
  22. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Somewhat to my relief, Shervin appears to be backing away--silent, in any case. Supposedly, he is also interested in a red example in SoCal.

D

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, good news and bad, I guess....drive a while longer!

Someone just started a "search' thread and was linked over here....good luck!
    Alan

24. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Hi so just to confirm this is your car that they are selling ?

http://www.salernomotorsports.com/1983_Ferrari_512_BBi.html

If so i have an offer on the car pending inspection that i will be doing Monday.

Craig

25. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    You can call the DMV phone number in Sacramento and find out if the care is clear of any liens and find out if it is clear. For example

Some people will get into an accident and the car will be salvaged but they will sell you the car with the original title that is clean. This is why it is important to call the DMV before handing over the cash.

A real buyer doesnt request these things. A real buyer does his DD and flies up and makes an offer....