348 "Loose" Shifter | FerrariChat

348 "Loose" Shifter

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ricambi America, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

After a decent bit of driving my 90 348ts today, I noticed when the car is in 3rd gear, the shifter itself still seems to have about 1/4" of play - forward and back. It doesn't pop out of gear, but it just seems loose. No other gears have a similar loosenees.

Any ideas?

-Daniel

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Could be a linkage problem... If it gets much more sloppy - it may either stay in 4th or just go dead...

I have had a few similar situations - one was just a small linkage bolt that came loose - all gears were sloppy in that situation... and then the shifter went dead... took about 2 hours to fix - had the take off the transmission housing... Put an new bolt in (That was a 61 GTE - so is probably very different in remedy).

if you start to notice it get worse - I would take it in or jack it up and take a look - you don't want to get stranded... I am not sure how the 348 is linked -but it could be individual per gear - so you might only have an issue with 4th.. Others smarter than I mechanically would know this one...

Rich