Stay away from this 360 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Stay away from this 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by *fill-up*, Jun 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    On the bright side.. one less 360 is a parts car. Sounds like he's already a few grand in the hole... might be since driver once everything is said and done..

I might have an ABS pump lying around if needed... if at dealership, this will probably be $$$$

2. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    If the SD light is on and the power is reduced, there is a chance a pre-cat (or main cat) came loose and shifted and/or broke apart causing some signficant restriction in the affected header, leading to extremely high heat, thermocouples sending off a warning flare to the ECU, and the ECU cutting back on the affected engine bank to try and contain any further major engine damage.

If the car needs new headers and/or cats, you'll probably wind up wanting to replace the silencer as well. If it needs all the other things listed in the posts, and if you use OEM parts and go to a dealer, this is like a $30k+ repair bill. If you use aftermarket parts but still get a dealer/experienced mech working on it, you may be able to get away for $20k.

A breakdown:

Tbelts -- about $2k with tensioners
    Clutch -- about $5k without new flywheel, $7k if new flywheel
    Tires -- about $1.5-2k if you go with OEM tires and an alignment

That right there is the first $10k, more or less. You could gamble and skip the tensioners, the flywheel, and get lesser tires, but I'd suggest sticking with OEM he plans to really exploit the car. I had cheaper Bridgestones on mine for a short period and the difference in handling was really noticable. Steering wasn't as sharp and wouldn't hold a line as well as the S02-A's that I wound up putting back on. PZeros are even more expensive.

The next $10k would be if you went with aftermarket headers and cats. This would be around $3-4k for parts. Figure $6-7k for a full system. These are lower-end priced, parts only numbers. You could double up on some labor with the clutch work, but you are still talking at least $1k for additional labor to get the headers off and other stuff that might be invented relative to the exhaust (thermocouples, maybe they'll suggest replacing the O2 sensors due to the heat issue [if there was one as I described]). This doubles to $20k if you use OEM parts as the headers are like $4k each and so are the cats and the silencer.

Then there's the headlight, the body panel work (which coudl just be loosening fasteners and trying to realign), the water pump, and whatever else is discovered (maybe brake pads). Fluids.

I hope its something else but if the car is in the shop at a minimum they should pull out the cats and look inside them as well as look inside the cat-end of the headers to see if the precats turned/shifted/broke down. Direct inspection is the only way to know for sure.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    This.

4. *fill-up*

*fill-up* Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Phillip K
    #29 *fill-up*, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay so the car is all fixed up, the basics he replaced were tires, all the seals, fixed headlight, and etc.

The CEL and slow down was due to an 02 sensor that was replaced, also car was low on anti freeze and oil

The second gear starts was due to the traction button being one

And the brakes were replaced, and now e-brake and etc all work great.

I think he spent around $8-10k doing this he won't tell me an exact amount, but the car drives great now, even at 100mph :) I am glad he bought it back to standard and didn't let this one get parted!

*pics attached* (ps see if you can spot the other 4 exotics in the second photo)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    Glad to hear it worked out for him. Sounds like he did well.

6. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Bentley GT, Porsche Cab, Ferrari 360 (red), Lamborghini Countach (white)? Oh, glad it worked out for him.

7. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    nice plates, though

8. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    me tooooooooooo.

9. DrG.

DrG. Karting

Jan 2, 2010
    Limassol-CYPRUS
    Full Name:
    George Eleftheriou
    +1. Wouldn't go near this car, let alone touch it.

10. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    An old car dealer once told me that there is an ass for every seat. I believe this 360 found its "ass".

11. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    Was this ever confirmed or denied?

12. Raleli

Raleli Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    It's the silver car that's under the white and yellow one in one of the pics

13. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    So this car is NOT the project car that was in that old thread then? The last post of that thread (which was posted in June of this year) seems to suggest that it is.

14. TexasSteve

TexasSteve Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    It seems like the 360 is the perfect ferrari to do the chevy v8 transplant thing. You can get 1000 horse out of it that way. So, even a 360 parts car is something to consider.

15. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    a ferrari is all about the motor, you put in a v8 and you might as well drive a Morgan 3wheeler. A ferrari without its motor is a ferrari without its soul.

16. TexasSteve

TexasSteve Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    Normally I would agree with you, but not on a 360. (And yes I have driven one) A turbo charged chevy engine will likely improve it. If their isn't a weight issue.

Doing anything to a Ferrari is expensive thought. The main thing is to keep it light, and keeping the sound close to the same. (It's all about the hp's for me.)

17. hifipj

hifipj Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2009
    "A turbo charged chevy engine will likely improve it. If their isn't a weight issue. "

Wow.

18. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    so almost $60k to get this in good shape. I'd spent $65k for a non-stories car... ah well at least it's running.

19. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    clutch prices have come down considerably.

from the listing:

" I also didn't check the clutch live - but I don't think this is a big deal because new clutch is $1000 and labor another $1000."

20. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    This thread keeps getting better!

Wait, that's not the word for it. What I meant was WORSE!

21. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #47 Valenzo, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  22. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...where is the OP warning us about this car? After all it's his uncle bought it for less than $50K put a few $ to clean it up and is now flipping for $60K... can you say double standards?