Tell me the secret of Montana Tags on cars | FerrariChat

Tell me the secret of Montana Tags on cars

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Patek, Sep 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Let me in on why I see so many high end cars with MONTANA tags. I have seen so many it is really starting to look funny around atlanta. Is it easy to register in montana for tax.
    Don't know.

2. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    Search Montana LLC. Sales tax dodge. Not advisable unless you really have a connection to Montana, but some people do it anyway.

3. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    spoke to the attorney's admin last January. She tells me that Georgia is NOT one of the states that they can advise you try this, your kind of on your own vs. other states that make it easier to do and not worry about getting caught. There are some old threads on this, and it got a little ugly with some guys accsuing others of tax evasion etc....I opted that it was not worth it although I agree that the ad valorem we pay in Georgia is BS!
    The tax thing changes in Geogia next year; the private sale ,no sales tax goes away and I think there is a change to the ad valorem....Dogdoc

4. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Thanks, I was just wondering how we had so many friends from Montana visiting.
    I have no interest in doing anything like that.
    We have tons of people in Hiawassee, that somehow register their cars in NC, and live over here.

5. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I bought a few cars that way because I was planning on moving them quickly and didn't want to eat the sales tax. If I was to own long term , pay the tax.

6. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    You are correct on that.

7. f355 Nashville

f355 Nashville Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, Tn.
    Full Name:
    Ting
    I register all my daily driver cars, range rover, mercedes etc in my home state. When i get something exotic that i might drive 1 hour every few weeks, I ll register it in my montana LLC.

8. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    Make sure, if you register in MT, that you are very careful going forward. States are starting to crack down very hard on offenders and are starting to audit both car dealers and lenders to find offenders. You would be better off trying to register it in FL and at least avoid the ad valorem. California, Illinois are the biggest for trying to bust people on this. Illinois goes as far as to have people on the payroll that cruise around the lakes in WI to find Illinois tags and then try to track down their high end cars that may have WI tags as taxes in WI are remarkably cheaper.

9. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I personally would not do it.