348 BATTERY REPLACEMENT | FerrariChat

348 BATTERY REPLACEMENT

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360F1, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360F1

360F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2003
    Full Name:
    360F1
    HI GUYS
    FOUND I HAD A FLAT BATTERY THIS WEEKEND ON MY 1992 348 RHD TS AND, WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ITS EASY TO REPLACE THE BATTERY.
    ALSO COULD ANYONE RECMOMEND A GOOD MAKE OF TRICKLY- CHARGER PLEASE.

THAKS ALAN

2. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Alan ive got a porche one , goes in Ciggy holder very good, call kent High Performance ask for claire or Roger they sould sort you one out..

Joe

3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Hi Alan,

I also have the Porsche charger from Kent High Performance and it was definitely money well spent.

Like you, I too have a '92 348TS. The battery isn't easy to change. On the later cars (like mine and, I assume, yours) the battery is crammed in a compartment between the front headlamp and front wheel. You have to take off the wheel (having first found a jack that will fit under the car), remove the covering panel, then prise the old battery out seemingly with about 2mm to spare. Finally squeeze the new one in through the same impossible gap and connect it up.

Jonathan

4. 360F1

360F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2003
    Full Name:
    360F1

5. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The trickle charger I use is a CSI Airflow model 5016-01 as recommended to me by Maranellos. It plugs into the cigar lighter. Been using them over 3 years now and no battery problems. You can get these lots of places, including main dealers for £50 or so, but it would be ca. £10 cheaper at one of these warehouse type stores.

Can't help with the battery replacement, though others tell me it is a complete sod, compounded by the fact that the location isn't always the same. IIRC it switched position during the production run.

Could you put it on trickle charge long enough to restart it?

Kevin

6. prancing

prancing Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    UK, Hertfordshire
    Full Name:
    Gareth
    Hi, As I remember I had to remove a cover over the battery, then a heat shield on the exhaust side of the battery. 4 rusty bolts, remove this and manipulate the shield out of the engine bay. It may have to go down through the hole. The battery is heavy duty type (098) 0r (092) I think, check on your old one, these are cheap £45 from a local car spares with a 3year warranty, so don't tell them it's on a Fcar. Check the new battery terminals are the right way around and the correct shape (round posts I think) Sorry I sound distant with this write up but it was a few years ago I changed mine. The battery is quite heavy and awkward to get out but it should lift up through the gap once the heat shields are removed and the battery leads. I wrapped some cable around the battery and lifted it out at an angle through the gap. BEWARE the battery acid in the cells does not come out. "Replacement is reversal of removal" as they say in all good repair manuals, my Ar5e. Good luck. Hope this helps. I have a Airflow battery conditioner which is good and cost about £45.

Cheers G.