Ferrari California Highly Polished, then protected with 22PLE! | FerrariChat

Ferrari California Highly Polished, then protected with 22PLE!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Esoteric Auto Detail, Oct 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Esoteric Auto Detail

Esoteric Auto Detail Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    #1 Esoteric Auto Detail, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ferrari California polished to perfection, then protected with the brilliant and durable 22PLE Glass Coat!

This brand new California was brought into Esoteric Auto Detail for an intensive polish to bring out a high level of gloss and clarity, and to protect it with the brilliant and durable 22ple VX1 Pro Glass Coat. The owner of this car had spoken with Rick Lederman at a local car show, and Rick told him that the 22PLE treatment was a "must have". Thanks Rick...

The innovative new Glass Coating (made OF glass, not FOR glass) lasts 18-24 months on a daily driver car, and makes cleaning of the vehicle much, much easier since elements won't stick to the surface like they will without it. And since it's actually harder than the clearcoat itself, it is more resistant to marring and swirls as well.

Having the Glass Coat application done really helps extend the looks of your fresh detailed surfaces!

To view the high resolution versions of these shots (well worth the peak!), check out my Flickr collection: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCz2Wbk

For more information about the product for you, or for your detailer (online ordering NOW available!: http://esotericcarcare.com/22PLE

For more information on having the 22ple Glass Coat service performed by Esoteric Auto Detail: http://esotericdetail.com/detailing-services/protective-coatings/

And for a list of Authorized Installation Centers for 22PLE (new detailers being added to the list regularly...so check back often or get in touch with me for recommendations of top-level detailers in your area). http://esotericdetail.com/22ple-glass-coating/22ple-authorized-installation-centers/

The new California had areas on the car that needed to be cleaned up to remove swirls and buffer trails. These prevent the true gloss and clarity from coming out to play!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
  3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Looks like liquid red

4. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
  5. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Thank you.

22PLE provides a more brilliant shine than opticoat for sure...every detailer who has used both will concur. And the application process is much easier with 22ple!

So I choose to use 22ple because it (a) looks better, and (b) is easier to use.

Here's a great article about 22ple featuring a Ferrari FF: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/2012-ferrari-ff-paint-correction-featuring-22ple-coating-and-review/

6. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    #7 hotbmwm3, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    Thanks for the reply

I was thinking not so much was the reason that helps you as the installer, more so the specific competive advantages at a product level

How easy the product is applied doesnt really concern the end user, that's why we pay for the application by an expert

I was looking for the specific product related advantages when benchmarked against the other competitors in that market segment

Subjective opinions that "it's shinier" without primary sources of reference don't hold a great deal of weight with me, it's something I would expect an end user might use as a justification post purchase.

It might help if the manufacturer had a features and benefits comparison matrix, that way you could have an easy reference on your website for other difficuilt to convince consumers like me can go to

You could refute the features matrix in the link to the Australian seller of opticoat

You could do a video on your own car of part done with 2pple and half with competitors

Or you could just target consumers that buy based on a shiny photo and don't know about competitors products and hope people who ask complex go away :)

Links to a shiny FF show simply that the product "works", but all the products in the market segment "work", most owners of Ferraris don't simply want a product that works. They want the BEST available, or at the very least the best value.

7. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Since many people out there even on forums like this one are also end-users, then the ease of use "feature and benefit" is more than a valid selling point. As a detailer, trainer, and reseller of products, I am marketing to all aspects of the marketplace, and not just ones looking to have the product installed. IF you are interested only from a perspective of having the product installed by a professional, then perhaps the ease of use isn't necessarily your primary concern...however it is still relevant. Because if product (a) isn't easy to work with, then what does that mean? Does it mean that by not being easy to use, that possibly the end result, performance, durability, or looks can be inconsistent or poor depending on how the application process went? I can assure you that in this case at least, ease of use is more than a valid selling point regardless of whether or not you're doing it yourself, or having somebody do it for you.

When it comes to features and benefits, or a matrix comparing one product to another, you're realistically limited on what kind of information that you can really go by since there are no standards or reference within the industry. What you're left with then are the opinions of the professionals that are working with the products, and having a certain level of trust with resellers and the manufacturers themselves.

When I have highly respected (within the detailing industry) long-term users and promoters of products like opticoat sending me messages saying: "Going to be hard to go back to using opticoat seeing how easy 22ple is and how much it adds to the paint", then it only confirms my findings in testing and practical application.

I have made a living out of writing product reviews, detailing educational material, training professional detailers, and performing true highline detailing on more Ferraris than anybody in the business. Manufacturers also consult with me on product development. In short, I have long established the credibility within the global detailing market from consumers to detailers to manufacturers. I can use whatever products that I want, but I choose to use the ones that perform the best after relentless testing. In this case, I choose 22PLE as my coating for installation and resale.

Will this alone convince everybody that product (x) is best? No, it will not. But will the majority of the market be satisfied with my findings and results without providing a spreadsheet of testing documentation from one product to another, or by selling a product on its merits as opposed to selling against something else? Yes it will.

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The shiny FF is mine. Todd did my daily driver California this spring, so it has been six months, and it still washes, and water beads just like it was done yesterday even after 16,000 miles. This product actually works. Actually works and keeps my daily driver Ferrari's looking like brand new. Is there other stuff that works, possibly, but this actually works. Zymol is a product I used years ago as an example but it stayed shiny for about as long as it took to put it on. If left a few minutes too long before buffing it took 70 grit (kidding but almost that bad) to get it off. But it was $100 a can so the local Porsche folks loved it.

I love the 22ple because it actually works, and I have not had to redo anything. If this ain't the best you would have to prove it to me ... good luck. This may even be good enough for a Beemer:D.

Rick

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Is it applied to clear bras, too, or just the paint?

10. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    on the topic of opti-coat vs 22ple, I will say this...

22PLE wins hands down! Todd talked about it with me and I was reluctant to try it out. Then after talking to a few others about it who bought it from Todd and hearing about how awesome it is on all levels, I knew I had to try it out for myself. My findings:

Opticoat:
    hard to apply, you get high spots if not applied correctly that have to be polished off
    semi slick
    looks a bit muted once cured
    washings are easier as dirt doesnt stick as much and it repels water
    nothing can top opticoat, so you dont have to wax anymore (sucks if waxing is a "get away time" for you)

22PLE:
    ridiculously easy to apply, no high spots to worry about
    semi slick
    looks good 1 hour after being applied, looks awesome 2 days later, and looks incredible a few days later. Probably the most glossiest and wet look I have ever witnessed - better than any carnuba or sealant I have tried out.
    washings will be smooth and easy since it repels dirt and water
    in time, you will be able to top 22PLE with another wax should you want to (I see no need as it looks amazing)

I have used maybe 3 tubes of opticoat on cars and wheels. I have used 1/2 a bottle of 22PLE...my go to for ease of use, looks, durability (from what I understand to be true), cost, etc...22PLE

just like everyone has their personal favorites for waxes, sealants, polishes, etc, you will find a favorite coating. For instance, I love menzerna powerlock over any other sealant on the market, I have pinnacle souveran for those who want me to apply a carnuba to their car, and now I will carry 22PLE with me for a coating application. I will hold on to opticoat for those who HAVE TO HAVE IT, but if the option was left up to me, I'll be applying 22PLE for my clients!!!

11. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    There is more detailed comparisons on some of the detailing forums

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=283932

Lots of healthy discussion there and the press release from the UK reseller puts out some technical competitive advantages

I will keep searching for benchmark tests and more detailed information

One thing I think I based my decision to buy a tube of opticoat on was durability

18 months for 22ple versus lifetime with opticoat was the FEATURE I picked as most important

I think now the feature I am looking at now as being most important is the "shiniest" and I am looking for the benefits in the photos shown after the 22ple treatments

I have bought a tube of opticoat but haven't had it applied it to the car yet

12. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    I found good information from the 22ple UK sellers website

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/22ple-vx1-pro-signature-glass-coat-cat12.html

There is even a features matrix in the right hand tab

These guys have a great way of communicating competitive advantage and features and benefits that I was looking for

Let me quote them for anyone finding this when searching

22PLE VX1 Pro Signature Glass Coat is a new state of the art paint protection product that showcases the latest advances in glass coating technology. If, like us, you always question new developments in the world of car care, then you're probably wondering how 22PLE VX1 Pro Signature Glass Coat differs to rival nanotechnology products, and what it offers that they don't? And maybe more importantly, how it justifies its high price tag? The answers to these questions all stem back to its unique alcohol-free formula, which lays down a thin film of silica that fully crystallizes as it cures. None of the other nanotechnology products we stock work in the same way; they lay down glass-like coatings that form strong molecular bonds, but they do not crystallize. It's easy to confirm this behaviour in real life. If you leave small samples of all of the nanotechnology products we stock open overnight, all will still be in liquid form the following day (minus varying degrees of evaporated solvent content), with the exception of 22PLE products, which will all have set hard in a fully crystallized state.

Now that we have confirmed how 22PLE VX1 Pro Signature Glass Coat differs to rival products, we can look at the benefits this brings. Firstly, because it contains no alcohol, it does not flash off upon contact, which makes it far easier to apply. Secondly, because it fully crystallizes, it forms a much harder and more durable coating than rival products. We've tested this by subjecting 22PLE VX1 Pro Signature Glass Coat and the closest rival products we stock to a brutal decontamination test, in which treated panels were: (i) washed at 60oC; (ii) soaked and wiped down with Autosmart Tardis; (iii) soaked and wiped down with Auto Finesse Iron Out; (iv) clayed with Auto Finesse Clay; (v) wiped down with neat ReAgent Isopropyl Alcohol, and; (vi) finally washed at 60oC again. In all cases, rival nanotechnology treatments were clearly stripped to a large extent (greatly diminished beading), but the panel treated with 22PLE VX1 Pro Signature Glass Coat was left beading as strongly as the day it was first applied.

Given that 22PLE VX1 Pro Signature Glass Coat is significantly different to rival nanotechnology products, and offers even greater durability, more scratch resistance and better protection against the elements, a key question remains; does it offer good value for money? This is a tough call, because at more than £40 per application (on an average-sized car) it is, by some considerable margin, the most expensive paint protection product we stock. Are you, as an enthusiast, able to justify this? Only you can decide; earlier adopters always pay more for the privilege of getting their hands on new technology first, but if you do bite the bullet then you will have the satisfaction of knowing your car is wearing a truly exceptional product. And for professional use? Well, in this guise it makes a lot of sense to us, because 22PLE VX1 Pro Signature Glass Coat really is a step ahead of the competition, and being able to much better preserve the amazing finishes we create makes it worth its weight in gold.

Adds protection:
    Emits strong fumes:
    Application method: By hand only
    Reflectivity:
    Glossiness:
    Richness:
    Flake pop:
    Slickness:
    Beading:
    Durability: 18 months +
    Recommended for: All finishes

The star ratings didn't copy because I am using an iPhone but you can look at them by following the link above

13. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    This stuff sounds like exactly what I have been looking for. I like my cars to look nice, but with multiple vehicles, multiple projects and hobbies, and a two year old, I honestly don't have time to polish and wax 5 or 6 cars every month or two. A long lasting, strong coating would be perfect for me.

In a nutshell, whats the application process if I am starting with a dirty daily driver, for example? Is it roughly wash, dry, clay bar, polish, then apply sealant?

14. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    #15 hotbmwm3, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    I would recommend you buy the paint treatment you think is best like optiguard, 22ple etc after trying to work out the differences :)

Buy the treatment product online, if you are buying 22ple then you have to buy it from Esoteric who are a sponsor of the forum posting here. They have the exclusive rights to 22ple in the United States.

Then get "paint correction" by the best detailer in your area to remove every blemish, scratch and swirl mark

And hand them the product and let them apply it

I think paint coatings are best applied by experts

I think it's our job to drive the car, and pay people to apply the products

You pay an accountant, a lawyer and a doctor because they are good at what they do

It's no different for detailing a car, the hourly rate people charge to polish and detail a car is the price of one tyre or a nice meal, why bother doing it yourself?

There are special skills required to get a perfect paintwork finish

Ferrari can't get it right on a brand new car, so how can you using home tools and no training?

Leave paint correction to the expert in your area

15. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    So now you are going to tell me not to cut my own hair? :)

Just being silly and I agree with you 100% on leaving it to the experts - want to see a picture of my hair?

16. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Anyone know a shop in the D.C. area that can do this?

17. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    You must be in the top 0.1% of hairdressers to be able to afford to drive a Cali :)

Great to see a hairdresser posting on the forum :)

There is no better car for a hairdresser, wind in your hair with the top down, auto transmission because you probably didn't learn to drive stick, and cruise control

:)

18. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I will be happy to pay an expert to polish a Ferrari or Aston Martin. I want that to be as perfect as possible.

My FJ Cruiser with 135,000 miles on it, or my wife's daily driver, I'm doing that myself.

19. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    #20 mtarvydas, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What is a "stick?" Is that the parking brake?

Ok I sense some hostility here; I like cutting my hair, do you see anyway a professional would ever be able to accomplish this?

I rest my case!

20. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    What a truly unique skill set you have, congratulations on identifying a niche market and being so innovative :)

When I lived in SoCal everyone called manual transmissions "stick", it didn't make sense to me but I just tried (without success) to fit in with the locals

21. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    you have DJ MAYO of www.djmayostudios.com in your area! I'd get in contact with him and let him have at it!

22. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just used it today. I couldnt be happier with the look of it even after just two hours cure time in 70 outside temps, but in a garage! Super easy on, and great looking! This is my go to coating of choice! I think I need to put something up on my website asap!

23. CC 10

CC 10 Rookie

Oct 20, 2012
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    I am a 1st time owner and have no clear bra experience. What to do with coating or even waxing when there is a bra on some areas of the car? I would take a wild guess that the bra gets no treatment at all but in that case should the slick coating be put on before the bra?

24. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks. Just shot them an email.