512TR factory idle speed | FerrariChat

512TR factory idle speed

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ants2au, Oct 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Is there any reason why the factory set the idle speed to 1000rpm?
    It's annoyingly high in my opinion, and so ask why?
    Does it require that speed to keep the cooling circulation in check, and or alternator charging adequate?
    Anything else?
    It's a V12, surely it has enough grunt to take off at lower rpm.

So now the big question, is the only way to change it is to hack the EPROM?

2. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    I'm sure i read it's between 1000 to 1200 for 12 cylinders when I was worried about mine.

3. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Even worse. Its not that I am worried, I know its set to that.
    Its just unnecessarily high, unless there is a good reason why it needs to be this high (as per my suggestions).
    I just dont think it needs to thrash around that high, thats what the right foot is for, to modulate when required.
    The car is modestly light, and engine has good torque. not necessary.

4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Sorry brother.. TR should idle at 1,000 + or - 50.. To say that its so high is not really factual.. If she was idling at 850 your only talking about 150 rpm.. She is not a Honda.. Most of the cars back then usually ran at 1000 at idle.. I suggest you get over it and move on.. Your obsessing over something that is ridiculous.

R

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    There probably is a little historical baggage in the 1000 RPM idle speed for the 12 cylinder engines from when the stroke was shorter and the cams shifted to make max power at redline (i.e., the maximum piston speed of an engine with a 71mm stroke at 1000 RPM is about the same as the maximum piston speed of a typical 5~6L US V8 at 700~800 RPM).

Maybe if they had made all the changes at once (longer stroke + resonant intake moving max power away from redline + a more precise fuel delivery system), they might have rethought the idle RPM spec, but, as it was, the 365GT4BB-BB512-BB512i sequence sort of made the changes seem less extreme at each step -- so maybe didn't seem so important to reinvent the wheel -- JMO...

PS Do you have a reference that states that the nominal 512TR engine idle speed is 1000 RPM? The only "number" that I've ever come across is 960 RPM (on page C61 in the 512TR WSM), but it's not really clear if that is a minimum or a nominal value.

6. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Saying "should" doesn't sound very factual either.
    That's why in my original message, I stated things like cooling, charging, etc.
    Either way, neither has any backing evidence.

This is all lighthearted. Please don't take things too seriously.

7. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thank you Steve. Factual as usual :)

Re 1000rpm, nothing other than what you stated and what's in the WSM.