48 hours of ownership and 2 problems?!?! | FerrariChat

48 hours of ownership and 2 problems?!?!

Discussion in '360/430' started by djkling, Oct 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    So, just received my 2004 360 Spider and already have 2 issues pop up...

1) when lowering the top the small flaps do not close and I get a "roof open" warning light... booo. Also, are the windows supposed to roll UP after the soft top closes?

2) The alarm did something odd. I was picking up some groceries on the way back home and when i clicked the alarm button on the car it beeped once, then about 5 seconds later was persistently beeping thought would stop from time to time and chirp a few times. I turned it off, locked the car with the key, and left it. When I got home this symptom started. Now I've noted sometimes the car chirps and sometimes it does not.

Ideas? Just bring it back?

2. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    I have an 04 Spider as well which I bought in September.

On 1. Are you waiting long enough. After much of the acrobatics happen on the top, it may take another few seconds before the flaps close. I usually hold the button til the display changes and the car beeps at me. If you are holding it, then there is a cable to an actuator which may not be working correctly. It's my understanding there is a computer just to run the top, and it stores all sorts of data codes. You may need to take it to someone with an SD2.

I'm no help on 2.

3. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Sounds like your alarm batteries are dying, very common. As per the top, make sure your fluid it up to par or level and yes, let it cycle completely.

If I were you I'd take it back with this knowledge and let them deal with it. You'll come to find that there are inherent issues to tend to with our cars but once dealt with its pretty much bullet proof :)

4. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    I'm aware that it's time, it makes a noise like its tryi to cycle and waits with the flaps down. Sounds like a sensor but I did hold it for a continuous 45 seconds to see. Nothing. Closes fine (phew!)

As for the alarm issue... It seems intermittent... Very odd indeed but Im trying to get the dealer on the phone to say "wtf."

I'll just bring it back I guess... Just makes me sad since it obviously worked when they had it (they have top down pics that show them closed)

Never a dull moment

5. Gurjeous

Gurjeous Guest

Sep 13, 2012
    I had the same problem but the top was stopping half way, and I would wait like a minute before closing entirely. The problem was that I was low in fluid, now it works awesome. The cycle is not finishing cause not enough fluid(hopefully),put this problem in the search engine and some one put directions on how to fill it, very simple or pm me and I'll tell ya.

6. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Since I just took receipt for the car and since also there seems to be an alarm issue... I'm going to let the DEALER eat this. I have a 30-day walk-away agreement and I'm not afraid to walk away if needed.

7. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Hey, it's Italian!

8. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    The Lotus placed used to say "Its British!"
    so does anyone make an exotic without so many issues?

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If you want the windows to roll up you must keep holding the button after the beeps. The beeps mean the top is up and the flaps should be closed, but not the windows. premature releasing of the button can create such problems. You may have to shut off the car and restart to reset the computer that manages the top.

You may need new alarm battery and/or a new siren.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    easily fixed. You may need a new battery and/or siren.

11. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Yes... The flaps never close so I assume the windows won't roll up. Same thing with closing though? Windows will go up if I hold after beep?

12. alvav

alvav Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Leonidas Vavougios
    Probably low on fluid. Easy to check.

13. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    after the top has completed the closing cycle it should beep reengage the capote switch and hold the windows should close at the same time.

14. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Lamborghini. ;-)

I'm semi-joking. I've actually owned Ferrari, Lotus and a Lamborghini and while my cars all ran perfectly (knocking on wood) the anecdotal databi have from being on each of their Internet boards for years leads me to think that Lamborghinis have the fewest isssues.

This isn't an attempt to bash any marque. Just one guys opinion who has owned all three and listened to others.

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Lamborghini.. don't you mean Audi? ;)

16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Guess I need to get a lambo

17. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    Those are relatively small and fixable problems! Consider it your journey of Ferrari ownership. I would be more concerned if there were engine or trans problems. Since the motors are working on your top, its probably some fine adjustments you need and the alarm is minor! Relax, get it looked at and enjoy, but these cars need to be driven and used!

18. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Dont even start; you do know Fiat owns Ferrari. The fact that Audi owns Lamborghini is the only reason I would consider owning one. I am a little excited that Audi bought Ducati. Maybe they can get the 1199 Panigale straightened out so I can get a 2013 or 14.

19. Spider360Matt

Spider360Matt Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    California
    I'm not so sure that its low fluid for the capote flaps. Most of the time low hydrolic fluid symptoms show up in the movement of the top itself - which makes sense, given that its the largest part of the movement. This is probably something else and you want to really confirm that your dealer has repaired this - replacement is expensive.

As far as the windows going up - its a function of the top movement. If its stuck with an open light, they wont go up. It is the final movement once the top is fully seated and the top open light goes out. You activate the feature by either holding the switch in the up position and they go up after about 5 seconds of deplay. Alternatively, you can double click the switch after the the movement completes without the delay.

20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its an 8 year old car...problems will pop up.

21. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    First of all... wait what Audi owns Ducati? When did this happen?

Secondly, I am happy to say that the dealer has graciously offered to take the car and fix the issues for me. Ferrari New England really is going above and beyond for this. My Lotus Elise broke in the first week (left window stopped working) and they charged me first to diagnose and second to fix. This is fabulous customer service and they even offered to pick it up if driving there was inconvenient (I'd like to drive it to see if any more issues pop up).

Yes, I know that there are issues with an 8 year old exotic... but I have to admit that working with this dealership has been a real pleasure.

I just think it was rather funny that in under 48 hours I found an issue then another... its par for the course for me :)

22. Spider360Matt

Mar 14, 2012
    California
    or in this case, not pop up...or close, or open.

23. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    that made me laugh :)

24. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Adding insult to injury, I brought the car in to have its inspection and it failed due to 2x OBD codes showing O2 front sensor issues, and now check engine light is on.

Did I buy a lemon or is this just the natural progression of issues?

25. Spider360Matt

Mar 14, 2012
    California
    natural due course...be glad that its happening nice and close to the purchase and the dealer is willing to repair. The challenge will be if you are in a state that requires smog cert. They clear the ECU of the codes, which also clears all the history...you will need to drive the car for a while before it can be tested. the downside if your face may end up with perma grin as you go through this...