1981 QP III 5 Speed and 1986 QP III Auto | Page 11 | FerrariChat

1981 QP III 5 Speed and 1986 QP III Auto

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by William Abraham, Nov 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    took a quick look at one mostly apart today. sun visors look ok RH dash top maybe ok only one rear view out side mirror. looked at what was a perfect windshield, now cracked. that was enough to make me sick. did not have your wish list with me. will find it an look again

2. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Mitchel,

Any chance you would part with the brake booster? I need a working one..
    thanks

3. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    #253 Quattroporte3, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Blaupunkt Richmond cassette/radio came in mine, looks to be the right vintage and fits with the style. I can't be 100% sure, but would be surprised if it isn't the original unit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Thanks. Looking forward to getting non-sagging sun visors. Let me know if you need me to resend my list.

Shame about the windshield, those are costly items (and lost profits for you, unfortunately)

5. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Random question - do they sand down and repaint the door jambs as well? What about the engine bay, any painting/detailing done there on a bare metal respray?

6. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi I think they will do what you ask for within reason. Yes doors off and taken down the refitted and fettled prior to painting. All done slowly and with care and prior experience. Recheck the photos on the black one he did and you will see the process.

7. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi William,

I just saw this video and thought of you and your quest for better matched shocks/springs, and wondered if perhaps Bilstein may have a solution as well, they seem to be pretty flexible and able to make any setup required.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/car-parts/high-performance-custom-shocks/index.shtml

Considering the US$/UK£/€ exchange rate, it might make more sense to go to the US for a solution, but I'm waiting to hear how you like the Ohlins you had custom made.

8. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #258 William Abraham, Oct 15, 2012
    Hi

I had the 86 in to a great local shop in London to sort out the A/C which had been basically left uncharged for 4 or more years. The checked the system out with car vacuumed out moisture, tested for pressure and replaced the Receiver Drier as a matter or routine.

We were also trying to adjust the hot - cold lever which did not go all the way to cold and as a result pumped hot air full time. To get at this we wanted to take off the leather surround that goes around the A/C Heater unit. No joy and I did not have my books. We took out the radio which was fine as it was not working anyway and then I took off the centre console which was easy. To do this it is as people said. Take out radio head pop off one seat button then the rest and the unit lifts out easily.

Now I need to research how to take off the A/C surround without breaking anything and then check all the electrics and clean it up for reassembly. The wood will be packed up and sent to ALSA to match the doors.

I will post a few pics for those interested.

9. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #259 William Abraham, Oct 15, 2012
    New Receiver drier with binary switch put in and everything buttoned down perfectly. The shop was putting in classic air on an old Merc and is also doing 2 Ferrari so seem to know their stuff. Here is a pics of the surround.

10. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #260 William Abraham, Oct 17, 2012
    Well you guys were too slow..... I got it done with a picture of the facia from MIE giving me the hint I needed. I will post some pics so that you can all see how to do this. I must say it is one of the sillier designs I have ever seen. Probably made more difficult as my hands are not small!

Anyway. To remove the A/C leather surround remember it is screwed with self tapping screws into two plastic female tabs. From the back!

1. Take out the radio and I would suggest also the console wood piece to avoid damaging. (Very simple - pry out one seat switch, disconnect all seat switches. Save the metal surround and lift off.)

2. Take off the access panel in the footwell on both sides - 3 screws on each side. Take care as the washers are tiny and pressed into the leather so you can leave them on but then they can fall off as you move the piece. Suggest a tiny bit of tape to keep the washer in place if it is stuck on.

3. On the passenger side reach up through the radio hole and feel the screw head. Then with you right hand and a stubby screwdriver (not a long one as the angles are impossible) place the MAGNETIC head (only magnetic unless you enjoy the hunt the screw game) on the screw and turn clockwise and off it comes.

4. The drivers side is much more difficult and there is not ability to feel the screw. Reach in with your left hand and feel for a raised metal surface with a hole in it. The hole allows you access to the screw head and to some extent lets you get the tool close. Once you have located it take the stubby phillips head screw driver (mid size not tiny) in your left hand, find the access hole and feed in the screwdriver head one handed. When you have things positioned then fiddle around until you can turn the screw. As you turn you can manipulate the cover a bit as it loosens. KEEP THE PRESSURE ON and take off the cover keeping pressure on the screw (unless you enjoy the hunt the screw game). and you can see it sticking out from the dash. Ideally find a way to keep it in place. If I was smarter or had done it before I would have pushed it into something like a cork or a piece of tape. Even with a magnetic screwdriver head getting it through the guide means you finally get to play the hunt the screw behind the dash game.

5. I have not put it back but I am planning to do this in reverse. Get the screw through the guide and hole then turn the face place to start the screw on the left. Then do the right which is relatively easy and finally tighten up the left.

6. Lastly, there are felt like spacers probably to keep the squeaks etc down. I would be tempted to put something there if these dislodge. Piano strip felt would work.

11. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #261 William Abraham, Oct 17, 2012
    A few pics. You can see the screw holes in the picture as well as the spacers. The "access" hole in the metal is immediately behind the left screw hole.

12. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Bundas...

PM sent!

Mexico074

13. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #263 William Abraham, Nov 2, 2012
    Well. Here is the picture of the centre console redone to match the doors. Only part not done is the dash.

However, I did buy the passenger footwell fuses etc including the TEDEL 101/102. Car it came from must have spent time living at the bottom of a lake!! Completely rusted through and into the fusebox. Real mess and it looks like the 102 was blown also. Still good to have a few bits there.

New 102 bought from MIE also so I will put that in, check mine and get it fixed and keep this for a spare.

Ciao for now

14. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Let me guess who you bought it from... no, don't tell me, it's on the tip of my tongue...

And I'll bet he described it as "perfect used quality" or some similar nonsense.

;-)

15. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    No actually it was a ferrarichat friend who was trying to help get me a box that might work so no issues. It wasnt our other friend who uses the stock photos.

He quoted a huge amount for an untested old unit. I can get them rebuilt here in the UK for less and bought a new one for less than half of his quote.

Ciao

16. c20500

c20500 Karting

Aug 12, 2010
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    William,

If you're still looking for one... try this

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/3366339966.html

I'm sure this guy may still have the 102 in there... I bought the 101 then returned it when not needed. Don't get excited about the photos on the ad... the actual car is really stripped down and covered in junk. You will have to explain the exact location of the part to this braker as he deals mainly with Jags and bmw mbz...

Charles

17. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #267 William Abraham, Nov 13, 2012
  18. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Care to share your source?

19. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    I will post a few more pics but I will send the old Tedel 102 original to my car for rebuilding and use this new piece. I got this from Kerry at MIE - great supply source.

I also got a complete unit for the heater control from another source. It is for a "biturbo" but appears to be exactly the same - I doubt the factory used two different parts. A bet but I will post some pics

20. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #270 William Abraham, Nov 16, 2012
  21. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #271 William Abraham, Nov 16, 2012
    Here is the unit in the car and the one purchased. They look the same. Anyway, I have the new part for the the heat sensor and a new cable also so I should be sorted.... Oops spoke to soon. Looks like the Vent and Def are different. Probably an upgrade on the same part? Anyone know this?

22. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #272 William Abraham, Dec 17, 2012
    Further to the saga. Well the replacement from MIE did not work in my car. I am having it tested to see if it is faulty or just for a different version. Perhaps it is different in US. I will put some pictures below. The replacement is above and the pictures below.

The alternative A/C unit is slightly different in the buttons so not sure it will work but useful to keep as a spare I guess. The heating issue was indeed due to the heating part and we put a new cable on it.

I am sending the Tedel 102 to a place in the UK that says they are very familiar with them.

Peter Remmington
    Auto-Tec Diagnostics
    Unit 7 Austin Fields Industrial Estate
    King's Lynn
    Norfolk
    PE30 1PH

He says he used to do them on warranty or something similar. Anyway, he knows his business so we shall see.

Front shock install had to wait until the A/C and heating was sorted.

Happy Christmas

23. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Three steps forward and two back. Good to see your progress, sorry about the setbacks.

Am ordering a slew of new parts and bits for mine soon and will get back to work as well.

Have a Merry Christmas!

24. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    I'd like to add your first Quattroporte to my Tipo 107 registry www.tipo107.com Do you have by any chance the chassis number of the car, and any additional information? That would be great, thank you, Gerhard

25. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Will,

What method was employed to remove the old paint? (From the photos, it appears to have been sanded off).

Also, regarding the burl wood interior panels: do you know the particular type of wood? Are these panels made from Carpathian Elm Burl?

All looks great. Good luck with your ongoing project.

Carmine