Things are crap on long Island. | FerrariChat

Things are crap on long Island.

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Turbo360, Nov 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    is there any ETA when they will get power back on there all of the Gas stations have no power any that have power have people freaking out in line waiting, this is flipping nuts.

bloody mess this is.

2. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  3. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    any links to gas stations that have fuel ?

4. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    You try gasbuddy.com? My inlaws own stations in Suffolk County and he is always on that site. I'm sure they are posting who is open not just pricing given what is going on.

5. Eforg23

Eforg23 Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Forgione
    I been driving to deer park to get gas for the generator. Deer park has multiple gas stations and supermarkets open.

6. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    lots of wrong info on the site

ok can you confirm this again in the AM ?

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I finally got my power back today! I'm very happy. The gas situation is the worst part for me (I got lucky with only minimal damage). I was able to get gas up until today, I can't find any stations that didn't run out! I figured I can siphon it out of the boat if I had to. That would buy me another 6 days with the generator. Every time I went to a station, there was some kind of fight going on! It is crazy. I thought that when disasters happen, people come closer together and help each other, boy was I wrong. It was every man for themselves out there. The roads are insane, the traffic is crazy etc. I was happy just staying home. Like I said, the gas situation was the worst part for me.....thankfully!
    I hope all the Fchat members did ok. Stay safe.

8. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    acutally disasters happen, everyone with an IQ of 50 of less are allowed to roam the streets and even given permission to drive. To make it fair, the rest of us should be allowed to shoot them.

9. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Gas situation is very bad in nassau. I drove around for an hour last night & only one place had gas. The line was half a mile long so I skipped it and will siphon out of my chevelle's full tank if necessary. 70% of stations on L.I. dont have power so as they come online fri, sat & sun things will improve. The cops have to keep the peace at any open gas stations as some people apparently cannot act in a civil manner at this point.

10. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011

Just a note for everyone for those who are going to siphon fuel

1) cars that are obd 2 have a flap valve that does not allow the siphon hose to enter into the tank to take the fuel out only way to get at it if there is an access panel where the fuel sending unit is located would be the only way to get to it unless for those who are advanced with auto tec can remove the fuel line that connects the intake manifold fuel rail and turn the ignition on and the pump will activate and drain gas out of the tank this way.

do not take fuel from an old car sitting for more then 6months unless you are going to use it on a generator.

and truly in dire need of fuel - race gas VP and Sunoco 55 gallon drums at some places still have them

11. Eforg23

Eforg23 Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Forgione
    Turbo 360. I just found out Hess on dpa was running out of gas. Not sure what else is available. I am going out to find out. We will all have power soon and no gas. This is crazy.

12. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #12 mcimino, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    #13 Turbo360, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Eforg23

Eforg23 Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Forgione
    Got a tip that the ok petro on Jericho tpke in huntington got a gas delivery last night. Waited on line for an hour and they shut down 2 cars in front of me saying they had no more gas. I waited a minute before leaving and they started letting friends and family in only for gas. I got out to talk and they had plenty of gas. They just wanted to go home so they shut the pumps down. I was with my 74 year old Ex cop uncle that had 3 gallons left in his generator and they wouldnt let us pump 5 gallons So he had heat till this morning. That's a ****ty move in a time of need. **** OK petro. I only buy name brand gas but was willing to settle. Boycott that station. Their greedy selfish people.

15. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    That is insane. I just waited about 2 hours for an allocation of $50 worth of gas. The line was nuts, obviously, but maintained control. A couple of cops helped out as well. I heard a few daring folks attempted to cut the line early on but were dealt with without major incident. My new gas line buddy came from Howard Beach to get gas here; said the lines in Queens were out of control. I gassed at Shell on Northern and Lakeville. A few stations here got deliveries last night but waited until this morning to open because they didn't have sufficient staff last night.

16. zxttfan

zxttfan Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2009
    St. Louis
    That would be a great color story for the local news.

17. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    power is back on in most area's and this supply demand crap needs to get sorted out as for bloomberg he needs to get mobile porto potty's /generators/laundry facility's out to the hard hit areas so people get their life back together. Had this happened in so.cal were screwed !

18. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Just got my power back here in Port Washington last night. It was like Christmas morning we were so happy. I am down to a quarter tank in my FIAT Abarth. That should be enough to get me from LI to Elizabeth NJ for work tomorrow and back. If no gas after that, I can take the train. I am not waiting 2-5 hours in line unless it is a matter of life and death.

19. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Have a full tank in the 328. Anyone know if you want to siphon gas, you just stick a clear tube in there or is there a trick. Just want to know if an emergency comes up and we're out of gas.

Ace

20. htb3

htb3 Formula Junior

May 30, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you live near a marina or have boats washed up in your yard, you can siphon off the gas into a container and pour it into your car or boat. I heard of someone doing this to get gas for boats that wwerent damaged so they could rescue people after the storm hit. Just make sure it isnt diesel and that you know what you are doing and dont start a fire.

21. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011

Just make sure you use a siphon pump do not huff on that tube its really nasty.

unless your tank has a baffle plate on the bottom like all new cars have.

22. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    I can not stress this enough if you do not know do not touch it, ask a mechanic or a tech who is local to help with this and good thinking.

23. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Most of the cars built after the 80s have anti-siphon device built into the tank, so siphoning gas usually won't work.

24. tonyhemet

tonyhemet Karting

Jul 21, 2012
    hemet,ca,usa
    Full Name:
    anthony gonzalez
    Reading these postings makes me believe that some people really are weenies.
    1. I can't get fuel for my 328i, why not say "BMW" ? Your worried about getting gas when their are people who have no heat, electricity, sewage, or food.
    2. The gas station closed even though I waited in line for an hour,(greedy selfish people) more than likely those "people" had been on duty assisting the public for the last 36 hours with their employees who only earn minimum wage were probally dog tired and let their family get gas AFTER, they had served everyone else.
    3. We would of really been screwed in so/Cal, ha,ha, You got to be kidding, right ? In case you haven't noticed, its WARM here, this is where 75% of the food comes from that everyone on the east coast eats,
    now the east coast is going to be hit with a snow storm with freezing temps and you just went over to the thermostat and turned it down from 72 to 70 degrees.
    4. Easy to determine if it is gasoline or diesel, and no, you don't need a mechanic or technician to figure this out, a. pour gasoline/diesel in a clear glass bottle, shake it up, if it looks clear, its gas, if it looks cloudy, its diesel. Diesel looks cloudy because it has paraffin/wax mixed with it, this causes diesel to gel at low temps.
    5. Siphoning gasoline from ANY car. Get a 5ft length of clear vinyl hose, get a pencil, use pencil to hold flap valve open, push the hose all the way into gas tank, place thumb over end of hose, while holding thumb over end of hose, slowly pull hose out until you see liquid in hose, release thumb and liquid will flow from hose end. Easy to do. No yuckky gas taste in mouth.
    Now is the time to make a donation, think of something where you can lend a helping hand, pitch in, you will feel good for it.

25. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Tetsuo, this is so funny and so true. It seems that a lot of people think the only time you can buy gas is during daylight hours. I have been going out at 3:00am and have had no trouble getting full tanks with only a half hour wait. Hess in Bethpage on Hempstead TPK and Citgo in West Islip on Bayshore Rd and Higbie.