New Boxster launched yeasterday, its grown bigger! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Boxster launched yeasterday, its grown bigger!

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Mark(study), Jun 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Picked up Road & Track June, 2012 issue in the Dr's office while getting my flu shot. Read the article on the new Boxster S. What I got out of it...

Pros: Bigger, faster, nicer inside. rides nicer. quieter at speed with the top up. Liked the engine Start-Stop function. Redline 300 RPM higher. HP and peak torque unchanged.

Cons: Less feel in the steering and less connected to the road. Involves the driver less. Not as much fun to drive as the BS it replaced.

11mm lower means more problems for me. Have enough problems with speed bumps/dips already. But if something happened to my 2011 would definitely consider one. ;)

2. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-porsche-boxster-manual-test-review

Like many car fans, I think the only contemporary production Porsches I'd consider have Metzgers in them; that, or something from Ruf.

3. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    I have the 2013 Boxster S with PDK. The stop/start system is always off. If you want to use it, you must press a button on the console to turn it on. If it is turned on when you shut the engine off, the system will be off when the car is re-started. I have never used it.

I will say that this car is the most enjoyable daily driver that I have ever owned, and that includes Vettes, Ferraris, 2 911's, you name it. This new Boxster S is just fabulous. In order to understand why many reviews say it is the best of all of the Porsches, one must drive it to understand that statement.

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have a 2007 Cayman S I use for going to Walmart, long trips and track days. I love it. I'll be checking out the new Cayman as soon as it is available.

Dave

5. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i have the 991-s cab (new 911), also with the pdk, and i feel the same way.
    my brother has the new boxster-s.
    i think the boxster gives more bang for the buck.
    but i am sucker for the extra cabin space in the 911.
    i feel a bit claustrophobic in the boxster.
    my 911 has an upgraded tubi exhaust.

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Sounds wonderful.

7. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I finally got to read evo’s 2012 Car of the Year in #177, a piece that runs forty photo-packed pages. They distilled this year’s offerings to ten cars, tested them on road and track, cut the list down to six, then tested them on road again.

M135i

991 Carrera

12C

Boxster S

A tie for first, between the Exige S and Huayra.

It was the final commentary on the 981S that got my attention, though:

Meaden: “If you didn’t know the Porsche hierarchy, you’d probably say the Boxster was the more expensive car [...] I think it’s arguably the most accomplished and desirable car they’ve ever done.”

Bovingdon: “To me it shows the 12C that you can do clinical speed and indulgent entertainment in one package. Sounds pretty tasty too.”

Trott: “You find yourself over-operating it just because it’s so fun, blipping it, changing it down . . . It makes you want to go on a long drive.”

I can’t wait to see the power upgrades that must be on their way for the 981S 3.4-liter. Someone will have the restraint to up the power only as much as the stock/popular chassis setup can handle, making a small fortune in the process.

8. etmracing

etmracing Karting

Oct 17, 2010
    Thurmont MD
    Full Name:
    Marc Stephens
    Its crazy how big cars have been getting.I was at the Porsche dealer this past weekend looking at the new Audis and Porsches and they are all big cars. The new A4 makes my b5 S4 look tiny.

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Drove both the 987s and the new 981s back to back...both with 6 speed and the 981 also with PDk. The new handles much better,sounds much better and is quicker. The chassis is mu ch stiffer in the new car, 40percent per Porsche. The steering is actually more percise in the new car, but less vibration and kick back is felt. The interior of the new car is light years better esthetic ally and ergonomic ally. The top of the 981 is thicker,warmer and quiter. Overall the new car is a huge improvement in everyway.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

So now the quick, agile boxster go-cart is a touring car??

Bigger is not always better.

I will grant it's gotten better looking, tho.

11. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    The new 981 really isn't any larger than the 987 or 986, I think it grew like 1 to 1.5 inches in length. Less than an inch in width I believe. It looks bigger than the older models, but that has little to do with actual growth. Weight is same or down actually over the 987 as well.