Becker radio - which cars | FerrariChat

Becker radio - which cars

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ryanbushell, Nov 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    I was wondering which Becker radio's were fitted to Ferrari's. I have a Daytona pouch set with Becker Europa manuals, and believe that the Becker Mexico was fitted to the 275, but I was wondering which Becker radio's other Ferrari's such as the 250 and 330 were fitted with.

Did Ferrari also fit blaupunkt stereo's?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Ryan.
    I can only speak about UK Daytona's, for certain. They did not come with factory fit radio's. The customer chose which one and they where dealer fitted. My had a Radio Mobile 108, 8 track when new and has the same now.
    Grant

3. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Ryan,
    I remember looking for the original Beckers a few years back. Not that easy to obtain. However there are quite a few alternatives, one made by Becker that has modern components and I think if memory serves me correct a GPS unit included.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Daytonas came with either Becker mexico's or voxson 8 track.
    Becker Europa was earlier, probably 330's.
    Blaupunkt was installed usually by dealers, they were the most expensive radios.
    Hope this helps. There are lots of variations though.
    Ed

5. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Note: the radios were a dealer or owner installed item. So many different types were used... there is no 'official' radio.

6. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Thanks for all your help. I thought that Ferrari may have used Becker as a standard on their cars but it seems that this wasn't the case. However, it's strange to note that on modern Ferrari's such as the 360 and 599, it seems as if Becker radios are fitted as standard.

The only other Becker radios I can think of that may have been fitted to the 250 etc are the becker Grand Prix and monza. Does anybody know what era these are? 1960s? Or are they later, and could have been an option on daytonas or dinos?

Thanks again for the info

Ryan

7. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    As stated before, most radios were installed by the dealer, so could be any radio available at that time, picked by the dealer or customer.

However, I have a Ferrari price list dated May 1967 showing an option for a Blaupunkt Koln radio w/electric antenna at a price of $280. This price list was for ordering a car to be picked up at the factory.

The cars listed were 330 GT, 330 GTC, 330 GTS and 275 GTB/4. Note, all four models were priced identically at $11,500.

As an owner of a 330 GT, I wished that the original purchaser of my car had picked the 275 instead!

See http://www.tomyang.net/cars/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4007 for a scan of the price list.

8. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    #8 ersatzS2, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Blaupunkt Frankfurt, I believe.

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ blaupunkt
    Ed

11. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Neat, thanks good to know. doesn't that just _sound_ so sixties? Blaupunkt Frankfurt. Makes me wanna try and fire up the shortwave band and try to pull in Radio Monte Carlo...

Interesting that they were dealer installed, I wondered, because the speaker wires are these lame little white wires draped carelessly around the trunk.

12. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Italian delivery cars (as of 9/27/71) offered either a Voxon Sonar or Blaupunkt Koln radio
    215 or 280 USD respectivly, installed per the price list dated 7/7/71.and per the invoice for my 14729 that included $280 for the Blaupuntk, which I later removed as it could not be heard with the car running.

13. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    The question is, who needs a stereo when you can have that engine noise!

14. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Australian cars delivered by Lowes received dealer fit radio's.
    The console (flat hotizontal) was factory leather covered and the dealer had to cut a hole in the leather to fit the radio. I have been told by someone who worked for Lowes, back then, that the fibreglass underneath already had a hole to receive a radio.
    My 12971 was fitted by Lowes with a Voxon 8 track (since discarded, unfortunately or not, as they weighed a ton and pretty useless)
    I believe the aerials were factory fit though, ready for owners choice of radio.

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My 73 car had a dealer fit E/ aerial as an extra, It's probably the same one that it still has, that drives me nuts when it is up, due to the wind noise!

16. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #16 Daytonafan, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the Pioneer stereo fitted in my 73 Daytona. AFAIK it was fitted from new.

I have no idea if it even works never turned it on in the nine years of owning the car!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My 365GT has a Blaupunkt New Yorker, which I believe is original.

I need to find someone to do some work on it-- any ideas?

18. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    I have a contact. I'll PM you their details.

19. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    No Radios were fitted to 250's or 275's or any Ferrari of that era unless by special order and even then I believe they were fitted by the importer of whatever country where the car was supplied. From 1960 at concept through to the late 1960's Maranello Concesionaires would have fitted Radiomobile items unless the customer specified otherwise. I suspect that European cars had the option of a Blaupunkt unit. At the advent of the cassette tape rather than the 8 track, UK cars were mainly fitted with Phillips sets. All 1970's cars came fitted with an electric aerial and speakers but no Radio/ Cassette. The customer chose what they wanted fitted. The factory began to fit music systems from the advent of the Mondial 8 in 1980 and from then on all fuel injected cars imported into the UK had Panasonic units fitted. On the 512 BBi this also included a Graphic Equaliser.

20. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Thanks Paul, cleared up a lot of questions I had

21. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Pioneer in the case of the Mondials.

22. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    You are totally correct and wherever I have mentioned Panasonic I meant Pioneer and that included all the injected cars onwards. My mistake.

23. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    :) and mine still works, incl. the speakers.

24. br1zapp

br1zapp Rookie

Nov 28, 2011
    It's funny to read so many.....unprecise, approximate things about what radio should be installed on a thoroughbred, vintage Ferrari, say '60's!
    Just reasoning with good sense:
    - cassette car radios were just at the start in the late 60's
    - 8-track european car radios were not available until 1968, the sole producer was Voxson
    Spa of Roma, Italy
    - a Ferrari, or Maserati, or Lamborghini and so on...calls for an italian car radio!
    - all tastes are tastes, if one prefers cassette to the wonderful sound and superior fidelity
    of an 8-track player (double speed!!!!)...it' up to him but the car stereo ...must be italian,
    not Becker, Blaupunkt, Clarion, Pioneer or Radiomobile (Voxson licence!)...definitively!
    All these things said....it goes without saying that a purist who wants to possibly win a prize at a "Concours d'elegance".....MUST have a Voxson Sonar (am/fm 8-track car stereo) installed on a 365 GBT/4 (Ferrari Daytona)...nothing else!
    This is the reason why I am periodically asked to service or supply these splendid 8-track car radios...and find other vintage supply things like original tools and jacks...all rigorously italian!
    I am an expert of all Voxson car stereo production.
    Always at everybody's disposal for any further advice or info.
    dr. Bruno Zappaterra
    Ferrara (60 km from Modena....!)
    Italy

25. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #25 Wheels1, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    As stated before Bruno.
    Daytona stereos [ at least in the UK ] were an extra and dealer fitted, chosen by the customer.
    Mine had the Radiomobile 8 track, 108SR fitted from new, [ the first owner was the Managing director of World Wide Artists, and in his 20's, so liked his music]. I have the bill of sale for the car to prove it, so I would have thought for concours that would be the right one for my car. It cost £112.00 with and electric aerial which was shown as an extra item on the bill of sale.