car design thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I sat down with Frank Stephenson in Monterey this summer. One of my favourite quotes was this:

"I'll tell you something that's really important that it doesn't seem like the youth of today understand: as a designer you've got to be able to draw. And that might sound funny, like, 'Obviously!' but what a lot of design students do now is they do everything with a computer. A designer needs to be able to draw quickly on a piece of napkin with a Bic pen. Because when you're alone with a clay modeler and he needs to know exactly what to do with the fender, he doesn't want you to go back to the computer, he wants it right there and then."

The rest of the published interview is at http://autos.sympatico.ca/features/14906/life-at-the-top-frank-stephenson-mclarens-design-director

Lots of great off the record stuff that I could never publish.

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Yes, an interesting interview. So did he also talk about the others around the industry and the inside "trials and tribulations" of the various organizations? He has certainly been in a number of different places.

Jeff

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    yes,it's orderly,because I told them I wouldn't tolerate the disaster scene from the last several semesters
    but wait a few days & they'll trash the place yet :D

the 16 was done in the Advanced Design Studios,not in the Cadillac Studio
    never any serious plans for production because costs would have been OTT
    I think he would have liked it to be produced in limited #'s,but it just didn't have enough of a business case to make it successful

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    we drill that into the students all the time
    each student has to have a running sketchbook of their design progress

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Hyundai Genesis Coupe for 2025 front engine/RWD
    establish a design vocabulary for a "premium" brand for Hyundai i.e. Genesis

6. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Yeah, he did. If I published just the interview transcript, it would have been four times as long.

Very interesting stuff.

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    So of the various stops he made who does he regard as having the best respect for the design operation?

Jeff

8. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #58 JeremyJon, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i recall Cherry presenting the 16 once, but i hadn't realized Lutz' involvement was so much
    i also read Lutz wanted or tried to start up the Cunningham name, and wanted or intended to have the cadillac V12 or V16 as it's engine, but i don't know which came first?

[b-mak]Yeah, he did. If I published just the interview transcript, it would have been four times as long.
    Very interesting stuff.[/quote]

very cool, thanks for linking the interview :)

edit: found some pics of the cunningham (C7) concept (looks more Chrysler styling of that time period IMO)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    very cool, thanks for linking the interview :)

edit: found some pics of the cunningham (C7) concept (looks more Chrysler styling of that time period IMO)[/QUOTE]

that's because Lutz had just left Chrysler & his designer for the Cunningham was Stewart Reed currently at Art Center College of Design

10. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

He feels that his current job is his best job since he was able to create the department from scratch and set the direction for the marque's design language.

I think that's in the linked interview, actually. The "what's above heaven" comment and all of that.

11. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I read his comment about the create from scratch for McLaren. Yes, that is something to relish - create the operation in your own concept of how it should be organized, the people in the positions and what the facilities should be like too.

But my questions has to do with all the prior stops. I expect this is what did not make it into the transcripts. Since he had been a series of different places I suspect he had strong feelings about each. Some may have screwed up and in spite of the organizations best efforts gotten it right on some of the projects he was part of. Maybe others usually got it right but the carnage of getting there made the process totally unenjoyable. And a last choice, and my question, is that some organization actually got it right because they really did understand and support the correct process.

There is frequently a difference about what the press release says happened, the general public perception and then what it really is like for those toiling away inside.

Jeff

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    There is frequently a difference about what the press release says happened, the general public perception and then what it really is like for those toiling away inside.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

yes indeed!

13. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Jeff, you're asking questions, then, that I didn't ask.

Happy to pass along your questions at the next opportunity.

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I am rather expecting he has some interesting observations from his time at Ferrari. He was part of the transition from all Pininfarina to an in-house operation. It certainly is not hard to envision that there were a lot of politics and hidden agendas swirling all over the place.

Did he talk about any of his time there?

Jeff

15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Pardon my ignorance but are they ever given really malleable water based clay (preferably WED) that they can quickly form only using their hands as an exercise ?

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    the short answer Jerry is,no

am i to guess that your theory would be that if they were able to quickly mold various shapes by hand,they would "discover" new forms?
    i remember the Lexus Design team back in the '90's say in a press release that the forms on the then new Lexus Coupe were "discovered"/developed by placing soft plaster inside of balloons and squeezing the balloons to create new forms and shapes.

17. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

No, I didn't even have that on my list of questions.

18. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yes that is where I am going (though I dont really like the plaster in a balloon idea)

In the effects industry we train new sculptors with speed sculpting exercises using really soft water based clay and only their hands. "Design a new creature in 15 minutes' type of thing.

Happy accidents can teach a lot about form. You cant really get those happy accidents in a hard clay as every scrape is deliberate. Same with the modeling software, I dont think you can really compare turning a model on a screen with having it in your hands and lifting it over your head and turning it every which way right in front of your eyes.

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I would agree w/you %100
    it's too late for this semester,but i'd like to incorporate something akin to this for the Winter Semester in Jan.
    it would be a fun exercise to see what can happen
    some of the students have a difficult time developing "new" forms & surfaces
    they all know how to draw/render & copy.......it's that damn "new stuff" that seems to stump some :)

20. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Cool ! Glad you didnt think it was a stupid idea :D

21. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    yeah.....that 'new stuff'....always the most difficult....hardly matters what discipline......:)

22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I can't tell you how often I hear myself telling the class........"I've already seen that before on the...(insert car brand name),show us something new" :D

simple stuff.......just not easy

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    not at all
    believe me......I can use all the help I can get
    this teachin' stuff ain't easy

see above post :)

24. n9013c

n9013c Rookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    John, I happened upon this thread today. You absolutely made my day with the links to the Roy Lonberger interview. What an interesting and educational read. We had lunch w/ Roy & Carol about a month ago. You were the subject of some of our conversation. :) It was all good! BTW, I had the chance to flog the CTS-V Coupe around Firebird Raceway in Arizona the other day. A beautiful, fast, and well handling car. Jim Smith in sunny Calif.

25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    cool!
    yes,Roy is THE man!
    he has so many great stories
    glad you liked/flogged the CTS V........I do it everyday :D