Why is SCUD not a Sitter ? | FerrariChat

Why is SCUD not a Sitter ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, Nov 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    There seems to be sooooo many SCUD owners who buy one, rave about it & then 6 months later sell it, I guess its just too hard core for most of you but somehow its not a sitter ???

2. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I really enjoy the hard core aspect, the bare aluminum floor reminds you of a airplane or race car. The whole execution is visceral. I could not spend the dollars for the front engine 12 I always wanted but this scud over fills the hole.

3. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    #3 Russell996, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    Are you selling yours Richard? :)

Had my 16M for 2 years and it's a keeper.

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    no way, but plenty do; I am looking at adding a 997 GT1 RS 3.6 to the stable

5. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    For me, I knew that the Scud would be too hardcore ;)

I had a 997 GT3 and it made me realize how different it was than the Carrera. The Carrera has so much understeer built in and it took a LOT to spin. Even on a skid pad, you had to really get on it to spin. The GT3 had no stability control and was very neutral and once that back end started going, good night!

From the GT3, I went to the Turbo and I found it much more to my liking. GT3 (Scud, Stradale, etc) is a fantastic car, but in the end, it wasn't a good fit for me.

Living in Seattle, I drive in all types of weather and I need a car that I'm not going to be afraid of driving in the rain. I took the 430 to the track and did an autocross day and skid pad. As expected, there was quite a bit of understeer, but it was also very easy to catch as it started to rotate too much. I'm sure the Scud is a different beast and a fair bit tricker to tame.

If I was going to the track a lot, I would for sure spring for the Scud. For an everyday type of car, the 430 fits me perfectly. Raw enough, but still very civil.

6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #6 freshmeat, Nov 11, 2012
    Frankly, I don't get it either...they claim it's the best car ever, clock maybe a few hundred miles then sell it in less than 6 months of ownership, then procrastinate in public about regretting the sale lol, some even before the car's sold lol. It's beyond my personal understanding, and probably a phenomena never meant to be understood.

I'm keeping mine until the Monte Carlo or until I find that right GTO then maybe I'll think about a change.

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    The next step is sounding great so far, Monte Carlo being tested at Fiorano:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbMZilYFkQk[/ame]

8. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett
    I have noticed this pattern as well. Very interesting watching the number on this board that have bought and sold Scuds. I have been surprised. These buyers seem to be some of the most vocal and then turn around and sell in 6 months to a year. And it is certainly their right to do so.

9. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    That does sound great !

I really hope they dont call it a Monte....."yup, takin out the Monte today"

10. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Same here, love it.

Fact many ferrari/exotic auto owners sell their cars within 6 months to flip into another car, not for the reason the car is bad just for the sake of trying something new.

Also few members here have sold their scuds/16m's only to buy them again 6 months later.

11. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    Mine is a keeper. Love this car the best.

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I believe most people who have a scud or 16m can afford a 458 and thus make the move when the time is right. Further, the scud has done well holding value in the last few years so you can get out without too much of a loss if any.

13. diSCUDsted

diSCUDsted Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2010
    ILLinois
    #13 diSCUDsted, Nov 11, 2012
    Exactly! Or maybe they've hit a rough patch in life that puts things into perspective for the time being.

Regardless of anyones reasoning(s) to sell or not to sell, it's none of anyones *!^@%!* business. No need to call people out about it. :cough cough:

14. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The cars are probably too raw and not unless the owner is single they get heat from their significant other over it and then turn around and sell it. It's a lot of money to tie up in a toy that's really for the track.

15. HKE46Boy

HKE46Boy Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    CA
    Full Name:
    RENN Spec
    Always wanted one since the first debut in 07. Finally bought one in Sep/12 (First Fcar). Best car I've owned. Will consider a Stradale to pair up with my Scud.

16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I owned one and sold it after a year just a few weeks ago....absolutely awesome car and I will miss the rawness....bittersweet sale as I loved the car but ultimately want the 458 "Monte Carlo"....only path to that is to buy a new 458 Italia (tough path I know)...458 coming in the Spring and I'll drive that until I make it to the top of the list for a new Monte, which I realize may also never happen but it's a gamble I'm willing to take....

17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    *sigh* always a process with Ferrari...best of luck!

18. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am a 430 super fan. I love the looks of the 360/430 models, with the rear treatment on the f430 breaking the tie in favor of the f430. I bought an '08 Rosso f430 and within less than 2 months bought an '09 Nero Daytona Scud. My wife was the primary force in buying the Scud. She found it, tied it up with the dealership and hounded me for several days until I committed to and executed the purchase.

I've written about this in other threads, but having driven all modern mid engine Ferraris, for me (and this is for me alone, not everyone), the Scud is hands down my favorite vehicle for satisfying all my blood-red, raw meat, primal and testosterone charged needs. Its not the favorite for a drive up the coast...the f430 fills that slot.

I try to avoid using certainties in reference to my cars...my friends and family all have great bouts of laughter when I do, but for now I am quite satisfied with both purchases. If a gun were placed to my head and a choice had to be made, I foresee swapping out the f430 for some other ridiculous auto purchase long before the Scud. But that's for now.

19. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    True, but some don't want the softer and less rewarding 458, although it is easier to live with!

20. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Mine will be 4 years old in a few months, and I like it more now than when new. It is a better car now, due to small tuning adjustments.

I have driven 3 different 458 Italia, and they did nothing for me, acceleration is not as good as my Scuderia, and I can feel the excess of weight. I track my cars quite often, and I have been doing this for more than 10 years, so I have developed good car feedback through seat time.

I also test drove the MP4-12C, and this is the car I would replace my Scuderia with. The 12C feels lighter than the Scuderia, even if it isn't. It has great torque and shocking power. The cooling system on the optional CCB brakes is a work of good engineering. Properly optioned, it is only 50 lbs heavier than a stock 430 Scuderia, and 300 lbs lighter than the 458 Italia.

However, I came to reason. The Scuderia is a proven platform, the most reliable and dependable car made by Ferrari. The 12C is a new product, and some glitches need work. The foundations of the 12C are solid: Carbon chassis, a Ricardo engine, a Grazziano transmission, the same calipers and CCB rotors as used by Ferrari, and some impressive aerodynamic work. Voice of reason told me to wait.

Now a few months after my test drive, I see the prices of the 12C plummeting. The 12C I liked had a $288k sticker, adding taxes and reg, it was $311k, or twice the price of what I could get for my Scuderia on a private sale, because trade-in value would be even lower. Essentially, my Scuderia and another $160k would have bought that 12C on the spot. Right now, the 12C are moving in the low $200k on the used market, and as British cars in the U.S. market, resale is not their strength, so the days of $160k 12C might not be that far, and I get to keep the Scuderia.

The next generation 458 track day car will surely come with a nice price tag, somewhere in the $350k after taxes and reg, if the same money buys me a Scuderia + a 12C, I would pass on the 458 Corsa or Monte Carlo. The 12C is that good, and the Scuderia performs incredibly well.

21. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Well said...

22. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    This man is a car racing pimp, I love how your statements get backed up by fact and not just homerisum/fanboy/bias/emotional talk. By far one of the better contributors to this site.

23. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Big +1. His posts are the best. I make sure to read every line that he writes. Nothing better than 'real facts'.

24. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    F430GT shared experiences on the track with his scud are better than my dreams. It's refreshing to read about how he drives his car and what he thinks about it good or bad, better then new 458 users who buy 458 and in the first 50 miles say it's the best car they have ever driven??

I also find it comical how some users bash the Mclaren mp4-12c without test driving one, I was lucky enough to enjoy a very spirited test drive in a new Mclaren, and let me tell you it's a really nice car, great handling, amazing performance, it felt scary fast. I still would take a ferrari over it but still a great car.

25. alxforschnr

alxforschnr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2012
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Alx
    Well, I bought mine on Saturday 11/10/2012 and I freakin love it! It is very hardcore but that is what I wanted. This will not be my every day driver. I plan to keep it and start a collection but we can do a little experiment and see what I do with the car in a year.