Cant believe I bought a Harley. | FerrariChat

Cant believe I bought a Harley.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by LightGuy, Nov 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm just not the "type".
    Worked 2 miles from the plant and grew up in the Milwaukee area but just never had the calling.
    Was always into sport bikes.
    Got out of bikes while my son grew up as they are just too dangerous; plenty of friends killed or maimed on them.
    Bought a Ducati rocket ship last spring only to find it not quite the joy ride 25 years ago when the old bones weren't so old.

So onto a cruiser.
    Looked at Moto-Guzzi Norge and the variety of BMW's.
    Then made the mistake of taking Harley up on one of their free test ride days.
    Road about 6 and the Road King drew me like a moth to a flame.
    Dont know why.
    Was looking for used ones with ABS until a dealer offered me a new 2012 for cost.
    SOLD !

Plus the re-sale values are great when the time comes.

I'm probably the only Harley rider with an Alpinestars jacket/gloves and Bell Star helmet.
    :D

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Attaway - How's the seat on the newer model you acquired?

[Reason for query: A few years ago, Aftermarket benefited from seats being a bit on the firm side]

To me - RK riders tend to look most pleased after a run.

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    What color Road King did you get?

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I love Road Kings! congrats :)

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I test-rode a new Road King for a weekend last year, having only ridden a Sportster several years before then. It was an interesting experience. Getting off of the Road King back onto my '08 Yamaha FZ-1 was like getting out of an S-Class Benz into a Ferrari. I came to the conclusion that I was maybe 10 - 20 years away from wanting a full blown cruiser like that. My FZ-1 has enough of an upright position to make it a lot better than the R6 I used to have, and I absolutely love it!

Enjoy your Road King!

6. Cliff Torus

Cliff Torus Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    Fairfax County VA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Torus
    #6 Cliff Torus, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Many safe returns Sir.

Wrecked May 2012. Like prior crashes, I stand and lift the cycle as fast as I can. This time the left tibia (shin-bone) fractured and presently a metal plate is tacked to it. A finger amputated too.

If a car nearly grazes in "your" lane, it's best to let it go. Cars will swerve purposely if a bike attempts to get attention. Daily I sought maintaining a fair perspective, the battle would inevitably start with a neighbor tailgating out of my own street.

When legal in states for bikes to "split lanes" pass stuck cars, it's wise not reconvening up the road at a light or a station. They're known to throw projectiles. I get it, it's not what anyone likes seeing.

Fathom WW2, wire strung neck level across routes traveled by motorcycles, about the only thing traffic today hasn't yet resorted to bikers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Midnight (metalic blue almost black ) and silver.
    Its a Classic version with whitewalls and leather covered bags.

8. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Yikes.

I just assume cars cannot see me or just plain want to kill me.
    That said I am not one of those people that stare down drivers after they have made a legitimate mistake.
    Most figure it out for themselves.

9. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #9 LightGuy, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    The seat is just fine but I am looking for a like new air-ride police seat.
    They just look too damn cool. The air compressor can fill the shocks too.
    Mustang makes a passenger pillion seat to match or I might be able to fabricate a mount for a back police seat also.
    Let the mods begin.
    $$$$

10. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I have 45,000 miles on my 2006 RoadKing. Great bike for touring. Have had mine shipped to both Scottsdale, AZ, and Las Vegas, NV, and road back to MN. Wonderful trips.

I put 16 inch ape hangers on mine and love them. Also switched to a Harley Davidson "Sundowner" seat with backrest. Very comfortable. Make sure you have cruise control, but I think that's standard now.

Only thing I wouldn't agree with are resale values. They are not holding their value anymore. Too many bikes on the market. My 2006 which I have ~ $25,000 into (including motor mods, chrome, seats, etc...) is now worth ~ $8000.

Congrats!

MDS

11. Cliff Torus

Cliff Torus Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    Fairfax County VA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Torus
    #11 Cliff Torus, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Four7EightBHP

Four7EightBHP Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 20, 2005
    USA - Colorado
    Good choice on the Road King. Mine is a '99 with 48,000 miles. Mods are Screamin' Eagle heads, pistons and cams with Vance & Hines exhaust.

You will find the RK very versatile. Road mine home 750 miles in one day from Evel Kneivel days in Butte. Needed to get home due to a preemie grandson. Was very glad I had a bike that was manageable and predictable.

13. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    What did you do with your Ducati rocket ship??!

14. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Still got it.
    I figure one bike at each end of the spectrum.
    Should have rode it to the F1 watching party at Robs.
    The Harley broke down 10 miles from home. Electricals.
    What an ordeal on a Sunday.

15. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Wish you'd rode it. Could've gotten some photos with the 1198. I'd like to see it sometime.

16. tonyhemet

tonyhemet Karting

Jul 21, 2012
    hemet,ca,usa
    Full Name:
    anthony gonzalez
    Recently I made a delivery to the York, Pa. Harley plant.
    Upon driving in I noticed something kinda odd.
    The trailers no longer said made in USA on them.
    I asked a guy in receiving about this.
    He told me that the only part of a harley that is manufactured in America anymore are frames for a few models and some engine parts.
    Everything else has been outsourced to China, Brazil, Mexico and Japan, in that order.
    The York facility did have manufacturing buildings on their site at one time, but like the former jeep plant that was on I-44 outside of St.Louis, those buildings have been long since razed.
    The York facility is now a distribution center.
    He told me a few other things but if I mentioned those here, I might invoke the ire of thousands of owners.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I'm probably the only Harley rider with an Alpinestars jacket/gloves and Bell Star helmet.
    :D[/QUOTE]

You would be one of two with the Alpinstars jacket, I use an ARAI helemt.
    Same as you, I never could see myself on one. Then saw the moded Sportster 48 with the metalflake tank and bycycle seat in Cycle world mag, thought it was the coolest bike I had seen in years, so un harley, no chrome. Walked into a Harley shop out of curiosity and there was the exact bike, the rest was working on the wifey.

I told her that this bike would be safe because well we all know Harleys are slow. She reminded me that the last bike I bought I had told her would be safe because it was fast had great grip and brakes so could get out of trouble.

Put on the K&N intake and the screaming eagle pipes, plus a FI dial in. It definatly outdrage my friends FJY 1300 up to 70 ish. Above 90 it weaves unless you hold it real tight, i think its those Ballon tires. Oh and the brakes suck, and there is way too little ground clearnce when turning right, the ride is horrendous.

I guess it is a modern antique. The motor is great and sounds great, the handling and brakes mean you have to think ahead and get into the grroove, all of which means its fun to ride on short day trips.

Harleys have their thing going. I just wish they would make a naked that has that stripped out 40's no chrome look but with great suspension and brakes. Kinda like a harley vesrion of the Norton 961. Because one thing for sure, if you let the harley motor brethe they aint slow no more.

Ride well.