550 Steering ECU | Page 3 | FerrariChat

550 Steering ECU

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fatbillybob, Nov 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Weird, same thing happened to me as I was typing out the last post. Looked like the site did a self-refresh, and all of a sudden, I was missing 2-3 paragraphs.

2. deetee

deetee Karting

Jul 4, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Takashi
    philfrench, my apologies for my tardy reply. I have not yet installed it. Eventually will, but for now, am still getting used to the stock steering feel through the Novitec 19ers.

taz: I am very very glad that you're back. The information you've provided to the forum was crucial in my decision to buy my 456M. Really hope that you stick around.

ferraridriver, as to your USD1,000 figure, for your reference, I got mine from Maranello for GBP313:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140948133&postcount=3

Eurospares lists it for slightly less.

3. SURF

SURF Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    North Hampton,NH.
    I just bought a 550 and noticed the steering is too light for my taste. Where can I buy the FHP steering ECU in the United States?

Thanks

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  5. Jacques C

Jacques C Rookie

Mar 10, 2014
    Paris, France
    Dave and John,

I want to say thank you for the tremendous job you realize with your MSW steering ECU.
    I tried both FHP on my 456 M and yours today and the result is superb, really.
    As you said the FHP is great but not always and yours is far better for the average driving in Europe.
    But now the problem is: I need your system switching the MSW to FHP...Your price will be mine...

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jacques- Did you have MSW do a custom curve for you? Otherwise should be just like the FHP ECU.

7. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi John

Many thanks for your modded version of the FHP steering ECU.
    It's another driving experience.

It's only sad, that I haven't bought it some years ago.

Daniel

8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

You're welcome Daniel; I wish you many happy kilometers with it! :)

Taz, sorry for the 2 year late answer; yes I developed a custom curve for the steering ECU which reduces the power assist in a more gradual fashion than the FHP curve, but still more aggressive than the stock ECU. I think nearly all who have tried it prefer it over the FHP curve. Here's a graph of the three ECU's outputs:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

hwyman and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  9. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel

So it is.

Daniel

10. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi John,
    Do you still supply these custom ECUs? I'd like to give it a try.

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    John and Jim,

I think when Dave made the 1st batch of Switchable ECU setup there was stock and FHP that was a copy by Eric in France? Is that correct? I did not know an MSW mapping existed. When did dave start using the MSW map?

I also happen to be the lone dissenter who prefers the light steering. As a racer I have grown to like super assisted american corvette light steering with very light hands on the wheel. This allows me to feel what the car is doing better at the seat of my pants. When I am nervous or earlier in my race days I death gripped the wheel too much to the point I would have sore upper arms the next day like I lifted weights. My inputs were more coarse and unrefined. My lack of speed showed it too. I do what is fast for me and that is the lightest steering possible and least weight on my pedals. I pivot on my rearend and try to listen to the car through there. I have been accused of having my brains up you know where.

12. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Jim, yes I do. They're suitable for 550's, 575M's and 456M's.

Carl, IIRC Dave tried several configurations with the steering ECU's, and I think he settled on the same configuration as me with the MSW curved ECU in Normal mode and the FHP in Sport.

13. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ah, so the switch mode change would allow switching between non-sport and sport for both steering and suspension, where normally the non-sport/sport was just for the suspension?

14. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jim, there are no more "switchable" harnesses available from MSW. You will only have one ECU, I recommend the MSW curved ECU.

Selecting sport mode does nothing to the steering ECU, only the shock ECU in changed.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Having only driven FHP, I love that particular curve. 10 years of practice, but I was brought up on manual steering Corvettes and Ferraris. So FHP feels pretty light to me.

16. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks, Dave, for clarifying. Switching both the suspension and the steering together would be a cool thing.

17. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Try the modded MSW ECU and you don't need a switchable.
    This curve is a perfect mix of the standard and the FHP.

The FHP is to stiff between 40 Km/h and 60 Km/h, cruising on city multi lanes for example.

Daniel

18. brembo

brembo Rookie

Mar 15, 2014
    Dublin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

19. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi John/Cribbj, do you still have these available? Where/how can I order one? Do you offer both FHP and MSW curve versions?

many thanks,
    Greg - 1999 550 TdF/crema