Shields compare | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Shields compare

Discussion in '348/355' started by Nosevi, Nov 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oh, all right then :) Any excuse to go there is a good one. It's the biggest Ferrari place in the UK, used to be the biggest dealer in Europe though not sure if that's still the case. Here's a shot of the workshop .....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    Sweet the red really pops.

3. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #28 yronZFF, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks for that. Definitely different from the OEM 288 GTO one above so I'm guessing they've developed over the years.

5. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
  6. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #31 Nosevi, Nov 19, 2012
    Hi all, minor brain wave, not sure why I didn't think of it before. A guy I know has a 348 GTC, obviously had factory fitted shields at a time when everyone couldn't specify them, so I asked if he could send over a shot of one and here it is.

7. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #32 Nosevi, Nov 19, 2012
    So obviously at some point the design changed. If the GTC is the same as a 288 GTO, my guess is that an F40, which was obviously between the two, will be the same. An F430 has the new shields and they only became an option on the 430 (I think). My understanding is that only the CS had shields on the 360 (please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just for comparison, here's the GTC shield cut down to size next to the 288 GTO.

8. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Right Mitch, I had some time on my hands this morning so felt it was my duty to go and see what the old shields are like first hand. Obviously I didn't 'want' to go but really felt I should.

Now, seeing as I've mentioned my local shop before I thought I'd also take some holiday snaps while I was there to share with you all, nothing at all to do with anyone implying I was bigging the place up when I mentioned it once, you understand........:)

9. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #34 Nosevi, Nov 22, 2012
  10. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #35 Nosevi, Nov 22, 2012
  11. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #36 Nosevi, Nov 22, 2012
    There were even some other cars about. Although I really am a Ferrari guy, this caught my eye. Was sat between a Carrera GT and an Audi R8 and a Mclaren MP4.

12. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #37 Nosevi, Nov 22, 2012
    Frankly there are loads of nice motors there, this is just a few in the showroom, there's also several car storage areas as well, and I could spend all day showing you shots but I was here to go to the workshops to look at shields so that's where I went. And here are the workshops....

13. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #38 Nosevi, Nov 22, 2012
  14. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #39 Nosevi, Nov 22, 2012
    The more eagle eyed of you may have noticed the back left corner of the workshop which was where I was headed. This was not set up, just they get a lot of nice cars and it's convenient to work on them in the same area, maybe for tooling? Not sure. Anyway, how often do you see this in a shop? Care to put a price on those few feet of floor space?

15. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #40 Nosevi, Nov 22, 2012
  16. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #41 Nosevi, Nov 22, 2012
    Almost forgot, Shields :)

The new ones were exactly the same as the 430 one posted earlier and so the same as the Yoshis. The F40 and 288 GTO had the same as my mate's 348GTC. Here they are F40 then GTO. So it seems like there are two basic types out there and the cross over was about the 355-360 sort of era. All the copies I've seen are of the newer shield, which is odd because the older one look considerably easier to copy and would be the right one for the likes os 308s, 328s, 348s maybe even 355s.

17. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #42 Nosevi, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    Right that's me done. Let me know if you want me to go back to my local shop for any reason. Saves me from keeping having to come up with excuses! :)

18. Reddesire

Reddesire Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    I have the UK shields on my 348 and I am very happy with the quality and accuracy. They are ultra-thin (approx. 1mm) which I found a benefit when you don't have the indented fenders. It’s a nicer cleaner look. The curve matched my fender perfectly and the 3M coated back stuck on 'hard' and hasn't budged the last 6 months. They also have the polymer finish and on mine and it is totally smooth. I can run my finger across them with little or no feel of metal edges.

The deal closer was I bartered a bit with the guy and got the set for $AUD 150, less than half the price of the YS. I guess it’s a question of how much are you willing to pay for those tiny differences. At the end of the day neither of them are originals!!! Looks like he has since put them up however I do remember he was willing to negotiate if I bought 3 or more sets but I didn't have anyone I knew who was interested at the time.

I also bought a set of the Indian ones previously for $AUD 50. I never put them on. Twice as thick, poor curvature comes with a thick piece of 'double sided tape' to stick them on, poor in repo detail and no clear polymer coat finish. For these, it is a case of get what you pay for !!!

19. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Red got to agree about what I've seen of the Indian ones - not an option in my case. Regarding the other two ie Yoshi and British one, I agree it depends what you're willing to pay at the end of the day. Both are 1mm thick, both are pretty good representations, both should look good, and as you've said neither are originals. On the ebay description of the British one it says something about looking better than a Yoshi Shield. Truth is this isn't the case. Side by side the Yoshi is a minutely better representation of the original and is of better quality. That bit isn't an opinion, side by side the Yoshi wins it. What is an opinion is whether the Yoshis are worth the extra money or not.

20. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Thanks for this thread!

21. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    am I missing something? I can't for the life of me locate any of the 'european' shields for sale?

22. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hi there. They're generally on www.ebay.co.uk ie the uk ebay site. None up there right now, they tend to go on every few months. I have a pair though if you're interested in buying them send me a PM. Just bought them for the compare so obviously unused but will give you a good price as I don't need them :)

23. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #48 Nosevi, Nov 30, 2012
    Right, I've been hard at work removing my Ferrari resin shields and replacing them with Yoshi shields. The resins came off no problem at all with a little help from a hairdryer, hope these stay on better!

First is obviously the resin then a few shots of the Yoshi. In the flesh they look even better IMO, just really finish the car off well. And light was so good, you're going to have to put up with some gratuitous 'shiny car' shots too. Sorry, couldn't resist!

24. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    Pete, do you still have the YOSHI shields available? I'd like a pair of Yoshi shields. I can't pm, but you can email me at: [email protected]
    Bee Jay

25. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    Thanks for doing this thread Pete. My wife bought a set of Indian shields for $200, and without your research, I would not have known they were junk, junk that could have been had for $40. Thanks again.
    I'm looking for a set of Yoshi shields for my 348. My email is:
    [email protected]