Tic tac sound... | FerrariChat

Tic tac sound...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sequoia, Nov 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sequoia

Sequoia Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
    Hello Fellows,

I have an F430 spider and sometimes I hear some "tic tac" sound apparently coming from somewhere in the dashboard. I definitely do not hear it all the time, but it does appear sporadically and for irregular periods of time.
    Does anyone know where it comes from or what it means???
    Thank you ahead of time for your input.

2. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    When does it happen... Is there anyway to replicate the sound?

3. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Does it make the noise if you adjust the heater vent control knob? Sometimes the actuating arm comes off the lower vent flap motor. Try moving the controls position stationary with the ignition on...

If its a more metallic noise it could be from the front suspension or anti-roll bar bushes, the sound is transferred through the chassis to the cabin easily due to the ally chassis.

4. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I have a 360 and hear the same sound. Does not appear to be mechanical as there is no relationship to e.g. hitting a bump. Sounds almost like a clock, but only lasts a few seconds, then it's gone.

I will tho try the heater vent control knob.

5. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
    BAD ELECTRIC CONNECTION CAN DO THAT...

6. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    I know the noise you are asking about, but I have no idea what it is either.

7. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    My '07 F430 would make this ticking noise too. When I asked the dealer about it, they said it was the heater control mechanism.

8. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    I have the same noise.

04' 360 here...Definitely sounds like it's related to the heating system.

It sounds like it is in the center of the dash down bottom.

As previously mentioned the air might be diverted and we are hearing the device which is responsible for that.

9. 1 BAD BURB

1 BAD BURB Karting

Oct 14, 2004
    Minnetonka, MN
    Full Name:
    Aj ....
    good thing its coming from the front and not the back... b/c if it were the back, i'd hope it wasn't engine detonation... Thats the exact sounds of it, ticks tack in a tin can...

hope you resolve the problem...
    Aj

10. Scotsguards

Scotsguards Karting

Jun 12, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Full Name:
    RPB
    Had that noise on my 360 and 430. I did a lot of research to find out what the heck it was! Definitely the climate system. My father's Bentley's do the same thing, just longer and louder! Nothing to worry about, just means everything is working!

11. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Not true. They shouldn't make that noise. It's the recirculating flap solenoid making that noise. It's supposed to do a "position sweep" when you switch the ignition on. If you hear that noise it means the flap isn't working properly. Look under the dash, passenger side, you will find the solenoid at the base of the heater box..

imahorse and Daryl Zernick like this.
  12. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Does anyone know the part number, literal part name or have a schematic or picture of its location of the recirculation air flap part?

Give it a listen for the brief pause in the ticking, as I press and depress the recirculation button. I think this must be the issue in my F430 Spider... or is it???

13. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 360 makes the same noise with the temp control set to the lowest position. Move the temp dial one click clockwise and the tic-tac disappears.

14. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    I had a very similar sound on my 2004 360 a few years ago. I tracked it down by opening the front bonnet and removing a hatch/cover closest to the bottom of the windshield on the driver side. With a flash light I could not see much, but sticking my hand in, I felt a little motor spinning non-stop causing the "tic-tac" sound. I took it to the local Ferrari Mechanic and he explained the problem was the motor that turns the vents. He had seen it before and all he did was reboot the car to fix it. It has not come back since. I had started and stopped the car many times before bringing it in, tried all sorts of combinations of the dials. I don't know, seems stupid that a reboot fixed it. But I was grateful not to have to pay the Ferrari tax that day.