250 TDF vs 250 SWB | Page 21 | FerrariChat

250 TDF vs 250 SWB

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTBSaran, Jul 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    The size of the 'holes' in the grill is too large and the material was / is a cheap material that looks like brass...........I forgot to add in my original post that the prancing horse in the radiator grill was a modern chromed sculptured item rather than the original flat aluminium original........ Sorry Tonnie but I love originality .....

2. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    To be honest, I like to be involved with restoring a car but as soon as it is finished it is not me anymore , I prefer for myself unrestored cars which I can drive and park where I want.
    like my old daytona with side pipes.
    But if I would find 275 shortnose in need of some work I would like to have it painted silver with a shade of pink in it and red leather interior, and when it is raedy i will let RM do the work again.
    I bought some tools of you, but the toolbag would have looked odd imho that is why I had bespoke luggage make a little box where all the tools where put in.

3. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    But all those mistakes could have been changed by you in a day, or not.

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The comment re the headlight bezels on the green Lusso is incorrect. A handful of Lussos came with the more attractive Marchal units that were standard on the SWB.

john

5. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    So I am now the restorer of your restorations am I...lol

I helped in organising new window winding mechanisms to be made, had the gearbox rebuilt and as the engine was low on compressions that too had to be redone again. Unfortunatley the owner believes that as he had bought the car from RM and it had been restored just prior to sale, that the cosmetic features that I have criticised on the car must be correct and I am wrong........Which in my opinion goes to show the danger of incorrectly restoring a car.........

Maybe I should have said nothing ......He is happy and you got a great price.....

6. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    John I respect your knowledge as a Lusso owner of many years but I have to say I think you are wrong on this one. I have had over 60 Lussos through my garage either for sale or in storage and have never ever seen a car with this feature fitted originally. Since reading your post I have looked at every piece of Lusso literature I have and cannot see a car with the SWB headlamp bezzles fitted. As far as I am aware the correct bezzles were unique to the Lusso. I'm always willing to learn something new and if you have proof of what you say please post a photo and if wrong I stand corrected and apologise......... I have to say that I am sure that 5461 is not the only Lusso that NOW wears the SWB bezzles as the Lusso ones are so very hard to find but as an original feature I disagree.

7. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #507 PAUL BABER, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    A Pink 275 ? I can see the scenario now......RM would no doubt sell to the owner of 5461 who in turn would believe it to be the original colour.......

8. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    As far as I know ,the restorer gave full warranty on all the work, and the car was transported back to him to do the headgaskets and some other small adjustments, we all know that when a car has been restored, you always have some issues, which come out when you start using the car. But this was all in the warranty.

9. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    #509 toto70_0, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is only a car, and the person who pays can do what he wants.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lobo7 likes this.
  10. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #510 PAUL BABER, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    I give up...lol

11. Streetrod

Streetrod Karting

Apr 16, 2011
    Is it just me or is this whole restoration lark just a massive mine field??

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Not just you.

Onno

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #513 miurasv, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione #1905GT.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exGGVqjhU08[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyAVwHG_DCE[/ame]

14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The market seems to be very buoyant at the moment for 250 GT SWB Berlinettas. DK Engineering in the UK have sold 3 examples in 2013 which are in addition to the 2 steel bodied cars currently on their web site marked as SOLD that found new homes at the end of last year.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    SWBs should never have bumpers.

16. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Yes the market is very strong for SWB 250 at the moment. Stronger than for TDF. This may be explained by the fact that the 250 SWB has more global appeal, is universally seen as the prettier car and lastly is just the ultimate 'blue chip' dual purpose Ferrari. Without hesitation, if I had funds, I would be be bidding on this car. Just for the hell of it I will estimate what it goes for in ten days. I say $7.5m! (including commission).

17. Streetrod

Streetrod Karting

Apr 16, 2011
    #517 Streetrod, Jan 11, 2013
    As nice as 1905 is, if I had the money I would not bid on it as I personally feel the the street version with quarter lights and the other vents looks a lot nicer, I know some people will shot me down on this but I just prefer them in particular this car/;

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n311/hotrodcar/250swb_zps35a788f4.jpg

As for the TDF not being as good looking, again I beg to differ. I draw your attention to my other favorite TDF from the Patterson collection, I challenge anyone to say that this car does not compare in the looks department to a SWB

[​IMG]

18. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Make mine a SWB s.v.p.

19. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #519 -K1-, Jan 21, 2013
    I thought it was interesting to see the differences between the early and later cars in a side by side comparison.
    The 1960 Comp car is so much better looking than the later car (which on its own is stunning) IMHO but needs to lose the bumpers. I'll have a yellow one please!

20. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    It's not the bumpers or lack thereof that makes the earlier car more attractive, it's the shape of the nose. The car on the right, as well as the silver gray car a few posts earlier, have their headlight buckets and surrounding attachments fixed at a higher position. Ten to 15 millimeters make a huge difference in the overall aesthetics, don't they?

john

21. nico308

nico308 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2011
    any new informations about 1741GT during the 1960 New York Auto Show it's always described has being gold something like Oro Chiaro or darker like Nocciola ?

Hawkeye likes this.
  22. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Glad that this thread was bumped after 9 years because I’d missed it before and have really enjoyed reading it!

JagShergill, NYC Fred and Hawkeye like this.
  23. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Totally agree !!! Great thread - even after 10 years !!!!!

JSinNOLA likes this.
  24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, I'll take the "challenge" and say no, but had this comparison been about the very early TdF's (up to 14 louvre, open headlights) vs. SWB, it would be difficult for me to decide which I find more attractive.
    These later style, covered headlight examples, while also very nice, just don't come close to either in "looks department" for me.

25. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The TdeF looks great, but the 40 coats of clear take away from the factory original look. My old SWB (2177) had a somewhat lesser shine when I restored it.

Edward 96GTS likes this.