Olivier Gendebien Facebook Photographs. | FerrariChat

Olivier Gendebien Facebook Photographs.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by miurasv, Nov 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Very nice find. I had no idea that Facebook has something like this on it!

Several years ago a group of us on vacation in Provence had the pleasure of taking a couple of meals at Gendebien's former house near St. Remy and, aside from enjoying the meals immensely, we thoroughly enjoyed seeing the photos, newspaper clippings and other memorabilia on display in the second floor living room area. The fact that we didn't know beforehand that it was the former house of Olivier Gendebien was a pleasant surprise, at least for me!

3. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Only on hit on this thread!!!! The subject is one of the greats in the post war Ferrari legasy. Read,look, learn and enjoy. tongascrew

4. yvesolution

yvesolution Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Cabo Verde
    John, do you know per chance the name of the restaurant? Did he live there until his death? I read somewhere that he lived his last years in poorly conditions?

I have his book (Quatre fois vainqueur au Mans) in my collection, signed by Gendebien!

I think a new book, (as the only book about him IIRC was his forementioned biography which came out in +/- 1972) is long overdue!!!

cheers

Yves

5. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    One of the photos says:

"Monsieur Endurance".

What a lovely title to be bestowed!

Onno

6. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    Whats the name of the Silver car with a Swedish registration plate, and whats the vin # on this car?

Thanks in advance :)

Btw, it seems this car is no longer registrated in Sweden.

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Ferrari 250 GT Europa 0419GT. Swedish plate "250 GTL" with the letter "L" covered with a sticker came from the Lusso s/n 5847. Best wishes, Kare

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello Yves

The name of the place is Domaine de Valmouraine and it is on the petite route des Baux D27 between St. Remy and Les Baux, where we stayed. It is a hotel/inn but we only ate a lunch there and then a dinner on another night.

I couldn't find a website, but it pops up on most of the various travel sites, such as TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187256-d235820-Reviews-Domaine_de_Valmouriane-St_Remy_de_Provence_Bouches_du_Rhone_Provence.html

We were there around 1996 or so, a couple of years before Gendebien's death and it was not owned by him at that time.

9. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
  10. yvesolution

yvesolution Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Cabo Verde
    Hello John,

Thank you very much for the information! It's a nice place! As a teenager I was several times in Les Baux, but back then I had no interest in motorsport...

Ciao

Yves

11. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    One of my future project would be the translation of this book in English add new pictures and a short live story of Gendebien. the book although the 70ties contains tremendous stories about Enzo and the relations he had (or didn't had) with his drivers.The book will only go on of course if the French editors agree to give the rights or publish it by themselves. Gendebiens palmaras (quite accurate I think) you can also download from www.sharknose.net