Has anyone seen this 993? | FerrariChat

Has anyone seen this 993?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Chupacabra, Dec 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Porsche-911-993-Carrera-Coupe-6-Speed-Only-Two-Owners-/300817407721?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item460a1d5ee9

It has been for sale for quite some time and at an even lower price elsewhere (Pelican Parts). I've seen others with similar mileage, condition, and pricing go pretty quickly, so of course I'm wondering, "What's wrong with it?" Obviously a little bit of front driver's side funniness on the bottom, some rock chips, etc. Does anyone have any mechanical insights?

Thanks!

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Looks like a nice driver to me. I took my 88 Carrera off the market as i am tired of the tire kickers. So it may not be the cars fault its not sold. You can buy alot of car for $25k if you look, which is why i rant about some of the 308 prices not making sense. Do a PPi and buy the car.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i hear you michael...and agree.

4. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett
    I had a '95 for 3-4 years that I bought in '96 with about 10K miles on it. I had zero problems except for the battery running down if it set for very long. Nothing new there and I am sure you are aware of it. Just be sure you have the radio code. :)

5. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I've owned 2 993's for many years, and they are one of my favorite 911's Especially if you really like air cooled, and the smaller 911's compared to the newer water cooled ones.

For this specific car, I suspect the high mileage is turning some buyers off and some photos to me don't add up for that type of mileage. If I was buying a 993, whether low or high mileage, the preference is to buy directly from an enthusiast PCA owner, get as many records possible, and have it checked by someone that really knows 993's, include perhaps a leak down test..

They are fun cars, can have some weak mechanically issues, plus as they age, they are not cheap to repair. Check rennlist.com and there is lots info there. Or PM.

Good luck.

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That car reminds me how much I do love the classic Porsche gauge layout. I don't really have anything to offer but the add is interesting stating that it looks like a 70K miles car! That's a lot of miles I guess you want a trusted mechanic to check it out for you since if you're like me you would drive it like a raped ape!

7. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Thanks for the responses, guys! PPI is a definite. I'm looking for a daily driver, so something with miles and a little rough cosmetically is ok. Price is low, interior does appear to be pretty nice. Big problem for me is the color as I really do not want another red car and I feel darker colors set off the 911s lines a little better. Never know, though!

8. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I have owned several 993s and think that they are wonderful cars. As for that guy.... He's been known to sell some "not so good cars." A PPI is a must!

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

great intel jay...thanks!

10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Ahhhh...not surprised, really. Of course, anyone can get a stinker. Do you think they have knowingly left flaws undisclosed?

11. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    It's a '95. You want a '96-'98.

12. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
  13. Erik Johnson

Erik Johnson Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Erik Johnson
    The C4 is absolutely one of the hottest cars imho. I loved driving it. It always seemed glued to the road no matter how hard I pushed on it. I highly recommend it.

14. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Good to know! Any significant extra maintenance over a C2? I know there has to be at least a little.

15. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The 95s are good because they don't have the SAI or secondary air injection which tends to get plugged up with carbon. You need to drive these cars HARD and take it to red line at least once every time you drive it (this should be practiced in all vehicles). There is a problem with the usual "purist" who drives the car like a little girl and likes to look at it. That is pretty much the biggest difference. The 96-98 are all the same. My vote goes to the 1998- which is the last year. These command a premium being the last of the last air cooled 911. I prefer the C2 over the C4. Of course I live in CA and AWD isn't necessary and actually isn't as exciting to drive. Although the car is roughly 280 hp, it's by no means scary fast. I have owned a C2 and a C4 and the maintenance isn't that much greater on the C4. You wear through tires a little faster since it weighs more. Also the C4 has a smaller trunk since the front diff will take up some room. Unlike the newer 997, the body is the same. I prefer the C2S or C4S which has the turbo body aka wide body. Although if you want a nice "S" model prepare to spend over $4x,xxx. Either way, the cars are a lot of fun and truly a classic that will only appreciate in value.

16. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    Please can you advise me auto or manual?regarding reliability.

I want to buy 993 and still consider about the best choice.

17. Erik Johnson

Erik Johnson Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Erik Johnson
    Nope not that I have ever noticed. Perhaps a little less actually with the C4.

Erik

18. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The 6-speed manual is far superior. The 5-speed tip is awful

19. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe