Challenge Stradale TCU Upgrade | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Challenge Stradale TCU Upgrade

Discussion in '360/430' started by Markjayw, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I went down this path a couple years ago before selling my 2000 360. I purchased a CS TCU and was going to borrow the data from it to flash onto my TCU but found the chips and processors were different. 32 bit vs 64 bit or something like that. Interesting that Eric figured it out. Nice work. Does this work on all original TCU's or only newer ones?

2. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Nevermind, I see in one of his earlier posts that it's not so that easy.

3. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Bert,
    the 191701 contains basically the same software than the very early TCUs (176552), the main difference being the possibility to set the PIS value with a SD2/3, instead of the self learning procedure.
    If they are properly tuned, even those early versions can work quite well.
    Later versions from 193263 (03/2002) to 211023 include some refinements, mainly for clutch management, and are better choices.
    The best upgrade is obviously the CS TCU with amazing upshifts at full trottle and above 7000RPM, and so aggressive downshifts in Race mode. It's a lot more fun.

4. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Up to now, it works with all CFC231F hardware versions of TCUs (F430 & Maserati).

In a couple of weeks, I should have validated that is possible to put the CS software in earlier versions of TCUs (CFC201F.05 & CFC201F.50).

5. jlobee

jlobee Rookie

Aug 1, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Is this ecu swap possible for a manual car as well? And is it possible for a F430 scuderia to a F430?

6. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    No, it's the F1 gearbox control unit..

7. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Thanks Eric/Mike-
    Still learning about the car, and since I do not have a lengthly history, this TCU may have been in the car for many years now.....

Eric: will you be putting out any more CS level TCU's ? Pm me if you do and cost.

8. hakankuy

hakankuy Karting

Jun 15, 2010
    Earth
    Hi,
    What about 183 770 oem numbered TCU's is it available to install them to normal F1s?

9. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    183770 is for Challenge race cars only. It is not compatible with 360/CS because of the different dashborad.

10. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    PM sent Eric.

11. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

If you upgrade a 360 TCU to the 360 CS TCU, do you lose the Auto mode of the transmission?

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, I believe you do

13. Philcat

Philcat Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    MD
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Don't think so guys. Mine still works with the CS TCU installed, not that I've used it more than once though.

14. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

OK, good to know.

15. italia458

italia458 Karting

Aug 28, 2011
    help please.
    any ideas on how to contact the " EU " cs owners for the summer meeting please ,
    i don't know how to work this forum.
    i don't mean disrupt this line so happy new year to all
    colin

16. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    No.

17. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Somewhere in this section perhaps........

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Best.

18. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Salut Colin,
    it seems you got it, thanks to Greg.
    So disapointed, you don't speak dutch? :)
    A très bientôt ...

19. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    #119 eric355, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. 360Jet

360Jet Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    brand new to the forum, its 1:35am and enjoying all the info! ive had a 2000 360 for about 4 years. dont use it much (less than 10K miles total). changed the clutch and throw-out bearing about 800 miles ago, and the launch and shifting are very slow! seems the PIS needs to be set and cant because the TCU is original. So... after reading this thread I am seriously considering installing a CS TCU. Also seems there are a couple of options. 1. offered by Eric355 2. an enhancement module offered by Formula Dynamics 3. buying a CS TCU from Ricambi or some other vendor with reasonable pricing.

not sure which would be best and most cost-effective. also, which is the safest (meaning some sort of guarantee/warranty.

really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions?!

21. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I don't have F1 but you've identified three options and I suppose there is also a forth, that of sourcing a genuine CS TSU second hand. They're hard to come by and I think they run to $2500 +/- 500.

Some have reported good results with the Formula Dynamics unit. I don't know the pricing from Ricambi but on the basis that this would be a new unit I can only imagine it would be quite expensive. I don't know Eric's pricing but he has a good reputation here on FC and has had very positive reports posted about his conversion.

I think you'll need the assistance of someone with an SD2/3 machine to set up a CS unit properly on your car (whether a used, new or re-programmed unit).

22. 360Jet

360Jet Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, thanks for the speedy response! Yes, defiitely also an option to source a used CS TCU. i would have the local Ferrari shop (or independent) install and set the PIS. However, also read on this site that flashing, or changing the TCU could throw-off the car's mileage, etc. would hate that to happen since i have a low mileage car (even though i guess i could prove the miles via Ferrari's maintenance records), jowever, would require explanations if/when i sell the car.

23. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    Anyone here had experience with the Formula Dynamics Enhancement? They say it can be installed and then switched out for service or if there i a problem. The description on their website sounds as though it does more than change TCU setting though - that could be hype - or true.

24. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Dont know but 1200 british pounds new for the real thing (as mentioned earlier in this thread) + 1 hour at the F-dealer has to be the best option. Was for me anyway.

25. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    It's not a substitute for an upgraded TCU. You can't alter any clutch settings so it won't change clutch wear directly. It changes the way the throttle input works.