Mondial 3.2 vs T | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 vs T

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Dec 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Over the weekend, Dave and I met at the Sunday CnC event and I couldn't help but notice the T was noticeably lower and wider than my 3.2 parked side by side with the top up. I've always thought they were similar in height since its always with the top down but not the case. My 3.2 stands more like a hot rod in staggered configuration with the rear up in the air. Dave's t is flat and longitudinal from front to back wheels. The T is definitely a F1 style layout.

This inspired me to do a Diff on the two models and I just wanted to share that with you guys. BTW, thanks to Dave for helping me get my 69 Midget running again, the SU carbs were gummed up and needs rebuilding but we were able to fire her up again to my relief.

Cheers.

Mondial 3.2 cabrio | Mondial t cabrio
    Overall length is same (4535)
    Front track 1520 vs 1522
    Rear track 1510 vs 1560
    Over-all width 1795 vs 1810
    Over-all height 1265 vs 1235

Mondial 3.2 specs:
    Like the 328 GTB, the Mondial's engine grew in both bore and stroke to 3.2 L (3185 cc) for 1985. Output was now 270 PS (199 kW; 266 hp).
    Available in both Coupe and Cabriolet forms, styling was refreshed with restyled and body-coloured bumpers, similar to the 328 with more integrated indicators & driving lamps, and new wheels with a more rounded face. The 3.2 also boasted a major interior update, with a more ergonomic layout & a more rounded instrument binnacle, later cars sported ABS (1987 onwards). Fuel injection remained the primarily mechanical Bosch K-Jetronic (CIS) with an o2 sensor in the exhaust providing feedback to a simple computer for mixture trimming via a pulse modulated frequency valve that regulated control fuel pressure. Ignition system was Marelli Microplex, with electronic advance control and one distributor per bank of the V8. The 1988 Mondial 3.2 would be the final model year that retained the relatively low maintenance costs of the 308/328 drivetrain, allowing major service items like timing belt and clutch replacement to be performed with the engine/transmission package still in the car.

Mondial T specs:
    The last of the Mondial series was revealed in 1989. Called Mondial T it was the most heavily revised Mondial, with letter "T" inspired by the F1 312 T single-seater, which had just won the Formula 1 World Championship and also used the longitudinal engine/transverse gearbox layout: the previously-transverse engine was now mounted longitudinally whilst the gearbox remained transverse, thus forming a ’t’.

The 't' called attention to the car's new engine/transmission layout: the previously-transverse engine was now mounted longitudinally whilst the gearbox remained transverse, thus forming a 't'. By adopting this layout, a longer engine could be mounted lower in the chassis, improving handling dramatically. The 't' configuration was used by Ferrari's Formula One cars of the 1980s, and would be the standard for the marque's future mid-engined V8 cars, beginning with the 348, introduced later in the year. The transverse manual gearbox was fitted with a Limited Slip Differential with a twin-plate clutch design with beveled gears driving the wheels. Later in production, a Semi-automatic transmission termed "Valeo" was available as an option; while shifting was by means of a traditional gear lever, the clutch was actuated automatically without a clutch pedal. The engine was up to 3.4 L (3405 cc) and 300 hp (224 kW). The engine was now controlled by Bosch Motronic DME 2.5 (later DME 2.7) electronic engine management that integrated EFI and ignition control into a single computer unit. Two of these were used in the car: one for each bank of the engine. Engine lubrication was upgraded to a dry-sump system.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #2 davebdave, Dec 3, 2012
    Hey Mike,

It was fun chasing you around in the Mondial yesterday. It's remarkable how much of a redesign went into the t and yet, to the casual observer, they look practically identical.

Dave

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Love both generations guys so thanks for the thread.

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 soucorp, Dec 3, 2012
    1 Ferrari attracts enough attention, 2 got the local cop to give a thumbs up near my house!
    That was alot of responsible fun and no laws were broken -I think.

BTW, I love FerrariChat for providing a cyber venue to meet some of the classiest people you can ever know like Dave. I can't wait to meet some of you regulars at Mondipalooza 2013!
    It will be good to put a face to an Avatar, lol! At the end of the day, its always about people and cars sharing a beer and having a good time, not necessarily in that order.

Cheers,
    Mike

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Mondipalooza 2013????

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Technically, the differences are dramatic. As a name, Ferrari should have used Evoluzione instead of t. Too bad that was already taken (288GTO).

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you Mike.

Wade,
    I do not disagree with you one bit. The differences from what I have heard/read between the two generations could be determined as an Evo model.

9. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Hello,

Interesting. But the 3.2 has two things the t doesn't that are important to me.

1. larger "cheese grater" side vents.
    2. manual steering.

IMHO

Joe

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #10 soucorp, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    Joe,
    I think you missed the biggest reason, for me its the ease of maintenance on the 3.2 no engine pull out like the T. Total pain, but its not all bad as the handling on the T is much sweeter. The price difference for a good 3.2 is not that much less than a T these days so it comes down to preference, I like working on my car, so a 3.2 is perfect.

I did drive Dave's car and yes its definitely different than mine. More power but the clutch was much harder, mine is a breeze to shift. Dave drove mine and commented that the steering was not as bad as most people think on a 3.2 but it didn't handle like his T for sure. The T exhaust purrs like a kitten while my 3.2 stock roars like a lion, so each one is unique and offers a different experience even though they seem similar. ...And so like Paul Harvey always says, ... now you know the rest of the story.

11. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    - - - but if you put a proper exhaust on a T, it becomes a T REX !!!

Mikey, I couldn't help myself. :):)

Cheers, Hank

12. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    If I were to buy another one today, I would still look for the best example I could afford of either model. I would prefer to have power steering though....
    Ron Frohock

13. BlackMondial32

BlackMondial32 Karting

Aug 27, 2007
    3.2 is superior
    expecially the last series 88

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    is not !!! wanna fight about it ??? :):):)

I really wanted the Valeo experience - - and got more hp and other fine goodies along with it. But honestly, I feel that the 3.2 is equally desirable.

Cheers, Hank

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh Joey Joey Joey, now you've gone and done it -Hank's pissed! Lets just keep it as a preference, both cars in my book are great.

Honestly, I would prefer the T any day if I didn't have to worry about maintenance/costs but I love my 3.2 as it is ! I've learned early on in life, always be grateful of what you have because there's always someone that is less fortunate and someone more fortunate than you.
    So you really can't win, knowing that going in, -well you've already won!

16. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Always looking for a 87-88 3.2 Coupe'

Joe

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #17 Wade, Dec 3, 2012
  18. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Yes, best example is key no matter what.

Ron, I understand but I really like the manual steering at speed. It is perfect!

So having been a 3.2 fan for a while, I'd like a 3.2 body with the t engine and tranny with the 3.2 wheels and t's suspension and abs with the manual steering of the 3.2 with the serviceability and bulletproof design of the 3.2 engine with the 3.2's more open interior.

19. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    While it's obviously true based on the numbers, the side by side comparison with the yellow lines isn't really a true comparison as the 3.2 is closer to the camera and appears to be parked further back too. Also, the bottom yellow line is in a different location on the T. The T's rear grille is shorter by I think 2 slats, so a true measurement should be from the bottom of the 3.2s "red" bumper (at the edges). It wasn't until I was looking to replace my rear slats when I noticed the 3.2 and T are different from the tail lights down. I actually prefer the rear looks of the T. A little cleaner I think.

I do wish my 3.2 sat lower. It seems like there's too much space in the wheel wells. I wouldn't mind it tastefully lowered. Any lowered 3.2 pics?

20. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #21 LouB747, Dec 3, 2012
    Bumper comparison...T's is straight. 3.2 is "cut"

Also, a quick question. On the side grille, it looks as if the T is all body colored under the grille while the 3.2 has a black painted section (as seen in the above pic). So, do any 3.2s have a body colored area there? I mean from the factory..... My 86 is black....

21. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I always liked the look of the side grills on the 3.2 better and preferred the manual steering. I also used to think the relative maintenance costs of the 3.2 vs. the T made it a no brainer.

However, my next Mondial will be a T. Having owned the king of cheese graters, I have come to prefer the more subdued side grills of the T. I also have come to prefer the more updated interior, power steering and the availability of rear three point safety belts on later models.

Also having owned the king of Ferrari maintenance hogs...the TR.... I have grown a very thick skin when it comes to maintenance costs!

They are both wonderful cars to be sure...

I'm glad I had the privilege of owning a 3.2, and look forward to owning a T at some point down the road.

22. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #23 soucorp, Dec 3, 2012
    No, the metal plate covering in the cheese grater grille of the 3.2 is painted black from the factory. If its painted any other color to match the car besides black, that would be something an owner did.

As you can see from this white T, theres a painted black plate but it isn't as big and wide as on the 3.2.

23. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Thanks for the comparison. I didn't realize the T had any "black" there. Always thought it was just dark and hard to see in there. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere comparing the 2 cars...other than which one is better. Just external differences....side grille, rear bumper/slats, wheel arches, door handles, etc. Are they the same in the front?

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #25 soucorp, Dec 3, 2012
    Here are some more diffs Lou ... I've combined my previous posting of diffs thru the year...

List of diffs:
    1) engine, power, and layout
    2) side grilles
    3) T lower and wider than 3.2
    4) 3.2 has twin round headlights vs T rectangle
    5) window washer nozzle is on T wipers, where 3.2 has fixed spray nozzle on hood grille
    6) interior is totally different
    7) power steering vs manual
    lots more... to list

cheers