Is Turkey Really a Phoenix? | FerrariChat

Is Turkey Really a Phoenix?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Formula1Fan, Dec 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Formula1Fan

Formula1Fan Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    There is an article on Pitpass.com today saying that Turkey may be trying to elbow its way onto the 2013 schedule. This would, of course, replace NY/NJ. If you never went to the Turkish GP and can fit into your schedule, email FIA and say you'll go it they will hold it. Then make sure you go. You won't regret it.

2. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I'd be glad to see Turkey return. Cool track.

3. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    its a great race track, lots of passing, I hope they can make it work.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Bring this track back. Ditch Bahrain or Valenica. No loss if either were gone.

5. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    #5 wlanast, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    agreed about bringing Turkey back. Went in '11 and not only is the facility great in person, but loved Istanbul as well, people and place. (Bit of a drive to the track from the city)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

At first I was apprehensive about Turkey (Midnight Express etc). But it turned out to be a beautiful vacation place, best food in the world, tons of cultural/historic things to see and a great trip all around.

Plus a very easy GP experience: Not too many fans who get in your way on the way to the stands... :)

+1
    Went in 2010.

Overall Bernie has a problem with next year's calendar:
    NY is out and so is the German GP (most likely): Nuerburg is bankrupt and Hockenheim not ready (and also not making a lot of $).

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I just spent 3 minutes wondering what similarity you were trying to draw between phoenix az and turkey as they relate to grands prix...

8. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    Here ya go.....

Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor.

9. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Looks like it may be back. A revised calendar has just been published following the latest WMSC meeting in, coincidentally (?) Istanbul...... Negotiations continue it seems;

Where other than Turkey could it be? France? Doubtful.

Cheers,
    Ian

10. DF1

France is out from the news around here. Turkey is the most likely track for the date you posted in the list. Germany has been moved to early in July.

11. DF1

Could it be Austria?
    December 5, 2012 by Joe Saward

One possible solution to the mystery of the 20th race in 2013 could be the Red Bull Ring in Austria. This is only 250 miles from Budapest which means that the F1 circus could move between the two tracks fairly easily and it is possible that a multi-squillionaire such as Dietrich Mateschitz might like the idea of hosting an event, even if it is only a one-off to help Bernie Ecclestone get the 20 races he wants. Each new race on the calendar means that the teams get extra money so in some respects Red Bull would be getting some of the money back.

The circuit was reopened last year after a major rebuild from its days as as the A1 Ring. Prior to that it was known as the Osterreichring and hosted Grands Prix from the 1960s onwards. It was a popular venue. It has not been used for an F1 race since 2003 and the infrastructure in the region is poor, but Sebastian Vettel recently said that he could imagine a Grand Prix being staged there. Red Bull’s Dr Helmut Marko added that “with Mateschitz, you can never say never. Let’s see how it develops.”

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/could-it-be-austria/

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ian,

It could NOT be France, as France is officially out for 2013; there was a limit date for filing an application, and the french federation let it slip without any action. There was an announcement in "L'Equipe", the french newspaper for sports, that therefore there will not be a French Grand Prix in 2013.

Seems that financing is impossible to guarantee, and the french government has been very clear on the fact that under no circumstances, any amount of public money could be involved.
    Besides, as I already wrote, I don't think that anybody in the country, outside the group of Grand Prix enthusisasts, really wants a Grand Prix back: the will for the event to happen is just not there.
    I would be (happily...) very surprised if a French Grand Prix would come back in 2014, or whenever. I think that Grand Prix is gone for good.

Autosport said this morning that the date for the German G.P has been moved a week, to make place for "another european Grand Prix", which could be Turkey.
    United States asked for the Austin event to be moved, due to conflict with a football event I think.

Rgds

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Valencia?

Valencia was the event that was going to be replaced by New Jersey. If NJ isn't ready, they may go back to Valencia.

But I'd rather see Turkey. Turn 8. Yowzer.

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Bring back Turkey definitely. Among the mordern tracks it's one of the best.

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    When do they finalize the decision?

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Up to their gub'mint it seems;

Cheers,
    Ian
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104748

17. DF1

18. severtecher

severtecher Karting

May 1, 2004
    Tucson AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fox
    I made the logical connection right away.
    The choice of PHX for a GP race in June was a real turkey. Hotter than hell ,of course, and a $200 ticket price . I think there was about a 30,000 person crowd the first year but that dropped to half the next as I'm sure any non locals wanted no part of it even though the date was changed to a March slot that was much cooler. I think the F1 gurus figured such a place was NOT for F1 when the nearby ostrich races drew a 75,000 crowd and pulled the plug 2 years early. "Hey rube!"
    I was there for free practice Friday in '89 and the walk around viewing was great (saw Ayrton carring his gear into the track). Just at the fence 5 feet from the V8, V10, and V12 cars it was easy to tell who was coming from several corners away just by the engine sound.
    I think it is more likely an F1 race will be run in Willcox than Phoenix ever again.

19. Formula1Fan

Formula1Fan Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    Sellnit got it right. Turkey and the mythical Phoenix are both birds and the Phoenix rose from the ashes. Without gov money it looks like Turkey, however, is going to be more of a ground hog and crawl back in its hole.

20. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    They are both birds.